Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello all! I have a question for those who worked on MA.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:44 pm 

I'm hoping to one day do a brand new translation for The 7th Saga, to replace the lifeless and carelessly handled script it has now. But, I don't know anything about hacking scripts or anything like that, so what I'm wondering is, would someone like Bocco' happen to know how to hack that?

I figured you might since Mystic Ark and 7th Saga are similar games, but if not, is there any way I might be able to learn how to do so? In any case, thank you so much for your time, and have a nicr day!

Post subject: Re: Hello all! I have a question for those who worked on MA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 am 

fionordequester wrote:
I'm hoping to one day do a brand new translation for The 7th Saga, to replace the lifeless and carelessly handled script it has now. But, I don't know anything about hacking scripts or anything like that, so what I'm wondering is, would someone like Bocco' happen to know how to hack that?

I figured you might since Mystic Ark and 7th Saga are similar games, but if not, is there any way I might be able to learn how to do so? In any case, thank you so much for your time, and have a nicr day!

Getting a newer fully translated version of 7th Saga would be great, im sure i once read somewhere that the USA version of the game was HEAVILY edited in its story and translation and that's why its translated story is terrible, plus im sure it also said there were TONS of stuff not completed, like side-quests.. it's be amazing to see this game fully translated to how it should have been originally.

I suppose THIS link could help you learn all the basics and more.. http://www.romhacking.net/start/ of course, it's all self taught SO!
it might take you a while to learn it all.

I wish you luck on your learning.. and hopefully you one day bring us english speaking only RPG fans a version of 7th Saga that ROCKS!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

Last edited by SylarDean on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the boards, fionordequester, and sorry that it took someone so long to respond to your message. On the D-D staff, Bongo` is the chief hacker, and as such, any project we take on would have to be something that he's okay doing. With that said, however, he may be willing to give you aid outside of the group, but that would be up to him.

As SylarDean did previously, I can try to point you in the right direction. A simple google search turned up what looks to be the entire Japanese script: http://www.lltvg.com/wiki/The_7th_Saga/Script_dump Getting that translated first would probably greatly increase your chances of finding a suitable hacker. Having all the script work already complete would show your commitment to the project and make the hacker more likely to put in the time to work on the project.

Whatever happens, though, good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:39 am 

Aw, thank you so much guys! And yeah, I still haven't gotten the script done yet, so if you guys want to wait on doing anything, that's fine by me. In fact, I'm going to see if I can figure out this script editing thing first before I ask anybody for help. So, for reference, once I know where all the addresses are and everything (like in that text dump), I'd use a hex editor to change the values, right? Using the byte tables and all that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 am 

Also, about the translation itself...I'm not sure I'd say that the story ITSELF was heavily edited. I mean, there was definitely some stuff cut out, and there WAS some stuff that was rewritten (
Spoiler! :
most notably the "I MUST PROTECT..." Tetsujin actually foreshadowing Foma's role in destroying Melenam in the Japanese version
) but really the most significant problem is the way the dialogue was written.

Like, as a guy who's taken Japanese and has been interested in localization stuff for a while now, I can tell that there was almost NO effort whatsoever in preserving the personalities of the characters. Like, there are the occasional good lines, such as most of Doros's dialogue, but for the most part, the game's dialogue was translated so literally, and in such a ridiculously drab manner that it honestly hurts for me to read a lot of the dialogue.

For example, you all remember Pison? That mercenary bounty hunter guy with a cape and a giant whip? Guy who came back from the dead like twice? Well, here's his dialogue in the Japanese version...

アンタが<B>主人公<B>だな?
まってたぜ
―――オレかい?
オレの名は <B>パイソン<B>さ
アンタの お仲間に たのまれてね
いのちを いただきに来た
―――だれに たのまれたかって?
…いらい人の名前は
いえねえよ
しんように かかわるからな
とにかく アンタには ここで
死んでいただくよ

And here's the rough draft of how I'm thinking of rendering his dialogue based on that...

Yo, <b>Main</b> right?
Disciple a' <b>Melchizedek</b> yeah? (Melchizedek being a possible name for "King Lemele" in the translation for reasons I can explain).
Pfeh! You have ANY idea how
long I been waitin' for ya?
Yeah, name's <b>Python</b>, an' it
seems one a' the <b>OTHER
guys're</b> payin' me a PILE a
gold ta bring em yer head!
Neat eh? An' I'd tell ya who,
but well...I'm a professional.
Confidentiality clauses n' all
that, you understand.
So yeah, yer gonna die now,
aight sunshine? Don't think
TOO badly a' me now!

So yeah. Not a totally literal translation, since I'm seeking to actually localize the game's script properly...but it seems to me like it captures all of the most important points very well. Python (Pison being an overly literal translation) speaks in a very casual way that you wouldn't normally take with strangers (in Japan anyway), and there are shades of arrogance and roughness in a lot of his word choices. Like, he uses "ore", which technically means "Me"...except, "ore" also has a very rough or arrogant sound, meaning that you'd never want to use it in a polite conversation. Not with strangers anyway.

Now that's my version there...now let's see how the OFFICIAL localization handled that, shall we?

Are you <B>MAIN<B>? I've
been waiting for you.
I'm <B>Pison<B>. One of your
fellow travelers hired
me to get rid of you.
Are you asking me
who it was?
I can't tell you.
You must die here!

...Aaaaand...yeah...

In addition to inexplicably removing lines despite having had plenty of extra space to work with (I compared both version, and for some reason, the English version generated only 9 lines while the Japanese version generated 12...which hopefully I can expand), they translated Python so literally that he lost almost all of his personality in the process. And THAT'S what I'm seeking to fix more than anything else there.

It might take me some time since my Japanese still hasn't gotten to the point where I can do this quickly, but I know plenty of people who can help me out, including a native Japanese speaker. So thank you so much, and God bless you all!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:43 pm 

Well, I for sure preferred your version of python's dialogue, it has more feeling for the character's persona.. well, that's
what I got from just reading it, and visually I think it will work wonders within game, good luck in localizing it fully to it's
best potential.

P.S. Only thing i didn't like too much in your version was the use of the word "Sunshine" .. an assassin I don't think would
use that word.. (sunshine sounds a LITTLE too feminine), being a professional and all, i'd look for a different word to put
in there.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:15 am 
Site Admin

Totally agree with SylarDean on all counts, and it's definitely sounding much, much better the way you changed it! You're definitely going to put out a much better game once you get everything (re)localized. Kudos!

P.S. - I'm not sure what happened to all the other more vocal members of the D-D staff and community. Things have been REALLY quiet the past few months... Usually you would get a bunch more feedback, so don't shy away from posting because I'm sure they'll wake up from this early hibernation sometimes soon and be just as supportive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:11 am 

Draken wrote:
Totally agree with SylarDean on all counts, and it's definitely sounding much, much better the way you changed it! You're definitely going to put out a much better game once you get everything (re)localized. Kudos!

P.S. - I'm not sure what happened to all the other more vocal members of the D-D staff and community. Things have been REALLY quiet the past few months... Usually you would get a bunch more feedback, so don't shy away from posting because I'm sure they'll wake up from this early hibernation sometimes soon and be just as supportive.

Hahaha! totally agree with you, it's certainly been quiet here as of late, I've just been busy working on the sanctuary section
of SnesRPGGaming, and also playing that MMO "SkyForge", which made me neglect my website for just over 2 weeks :( ooops!
I kinda slowed down on that MMO now so back to sanctuary work I went.. which resulted in me just now finishing off the sanctuary
for "Final Fantasy - Mystic Quest Legend".. :) YAY! two sanctuaries fully completed now.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:36 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations on finishing the second sanctuary Sylardean. As for the rewrite of 7th Saga, The rewrite looks good. I don't mind the word sunshine, it actually does come out of this type of persons mouth in this context more than you might think in movies and TV. Keep in mind that romhacking is not an easy thing to learn by any means, so do not get discouraged and I wish you great success getting your idea to completion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:19 pm 

Aw, thanks so much guys...yeah, I definitely put some thought into that one, both on how to write the speech itself, how to make it reasonably short (remember, textbox length might be an issue, though I'm hoping it won't be), and for alternatives to sunshine. I suppose the ending line could instead be something like...

So yeah, ya seem nice n' all,
but yer gonna die here. Now.
Don't think TOO badly a' me!

Who knows? I'll think more about that later. But anyway, I've now done the weapons and monster names, so I'm going to be posting those next, as well as what I'm thinking of localizing them as. Also, I've contacted Nati, and he's going to link me to some rough translations of at least of the other lines of dialogue, so that'll be interesting. And finally, I'm going to download a hex editor soon, see if I can get my feet wet editing some text using Dr. Fail's guide on Gamefaqs.

So alright, thank you so much everyone, and God bless you all!