Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: Galaxy Robo Progress Report!
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Sent! (For GR)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:11 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
OK, well I'll let the cat out of the bag then, it is suffocating in there after all. Maybe we should switch from plastic, and stop tying it closed :P

*looks around for PETA members*

It was a joke, honest!
I can confirm that animals were harmed in the making of home movies of my hunting trip.
Then to add insult to injury, I cooked and ate the victims. No joke!
When faced with extreme hunger, starvation is not an option.
If God didn't want me to consume animals, He shouldn't have made 'em outta meat!

Oh, while I was out shootin' at some food,
Up from the ground came a-bubblin' crude...

Actually, the LW pix I just sent are fairly refined, rated G for "Graphics".
Bedtime now. Oh, Recca just checked in. He's gotta freeze in LW.
He can't advance. I'll sort it out tomorrow and send a report, Bongo`

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Didn't get the send Draken, donno if its just held up or if my e-mail ate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
FYI: I'm fine with releasing some info on the game including keeping this thread in the public forum and leaving the YouTube video public. In fact, I think a little publicity might get people interested in the game, and be a nice lead up to what should be a fairly quick release at this point. A RHDN news post or some such might be nice.

I haven't played any further than you WB, but I don't believe there are any towns. I think it's strictly mission based.
Quote:
FYI: There is some info here from a fan http://hg101.proboards.com/thread/8049/galaxy-robo

It may be worth considering their take on the names. I did use "Freet" from their post since it fit better than "Fleet" in the context. I did take the liberty of calling the robots "Ancient Robo Fighters" rather than "Ancient Machine Soldiers" since I think it ties back to the game title nicely and has a good ring.

I was wondering about that name myself, but I'm rather fond of "Freet" at this point. I feel like Fleet is more confusing and probably just as odd sounding in the end.

BTW: I checked out the YouTube video. It looks good!
After reading the report at the link above, I'm trying to sort out a major plot element.

#1 In the beginning of Chapter 2...
Spoiler! :
Is Bazel the emperor, the husband of the Empress, and father of the prince and princess, or is he a power behind the throne having no blood relations with the royal family and called a Cabinet Minister? The fan source varies from our reading.

#2 Not a plot element but a formatting alteration: At the very end of Chapter 1, action centers around an unconventional battle that runs in a cut-scene narrative form (not a conventional SRPG set-piece clash with unit movements in the field) Even though each string ended with a [key] code, the scene auto-advanced at a fairly rapid pace. The story text in this segment, although colorfully descriptive in its original form, was somewhat bloated for the pace of this routine, I thought. Pages zoomed by so quickly, I missed more than half of the dialogue the first time through.

So, I invoked three measures to make it more absorbable in the time allotted:

1. Condensed the story.
2. Shortened and centered the lines under the graphics
3. Roughly doubled the pages by using the [key] code more frequently.

Unless we can find a way to slow down the auto-scrolling or eliminate it altogether by introducing a different code that allows a button press, I suggest we stay with a leaner, meaner dialogue for just this section and any more like it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

I believe I mentioned it in the e-mail I sent you with the package, but the game has 4 scenes like that where timing is fairly critical. I'm not sure if it will be possible to slow things down, but I was able to read through everything (I guess I'm a fast reader), but I can see where some would miss certain parts. Centering the text seems odd as the scenes play out as regular dialogue (people speaking, and narration being given). Am I misunderstanding what you meant by "centered the lines" because I'm not sure why you would want to make the format look entirely different from the rest of the game. I totally agree, though, that the dialogue for these scenes needs to be fairly minimal or at least in line with the original, Japanese, text.

As per your spoiler...

Spoiler! :
Bazel is... Argh, I forget his title (some kind of minister), but it's mentioned in that section of the game. He has no blood relation to the royal family, but he later has a more prominent role... You'll see ;) Just ignore that fan post and play the game to see the layers peel back :)

I could spoil more, but I think it's better for you to see for yourself. The dialogue you have right now is very clear on his role, so just edit around it.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
I believe I mentioned it in the e-mail I sent you with the package, but the game has 4 scenes like that where timing is fairly critical. I'm not sure if it will be possible to slow things down, but I was able to read through everything (I guess I'm a fast reader), but I can see where some would miss certain parts. Centering the text seems odd as the scenes play out as regular dialogue (people speaking, and narration being given). Am I misunderstanding what you meant by "centered the lines" because I'm not sure why you would want to make the format look entirely different from the rest of the game. I totally agree, though, that the dialogue for these scenes needs to be fairly minimal or at least in line with the original, Japanese, text.

As per your spoiler...

Spoiler! :
Bazel is... Argh, I forget his title (some kind of minister), but it's mentioned in that section of the game. He has no blood relation to the royal family, but he later has a more prominent role... You'll see ;) Just ignore that fan post and play the game to see the layers peel back :)

I could spoil more, but I think it's better for you to see for yourself. The dialogue you have right now is very clear on his role, so just edit around it.
I didn't actually (re)center in the way you might be thinking. I shortened lines and used one and two-line entries, so my eyes didn't need to try to dash over more characters than the pacing time allowed me to process. Of course, I still haven't had my eye surgery. That will happen in June and may be a solution.

It's just that in some cases the text aligned perfectly with the graphics above that flashed by in varying sizes. If something appears skewed or distractingly inconsistent, you can always adjust the formatting to a more pleasing appearance during beta testing. But it looked pretty clean to me, and most importantly, I was able to keep up with it.

Okay, the cut-scene at the end of Scenario 5 makes the situation with the Bazel character abundantly clear. The fan assessment is way off on some major elements, and that case is closed.

Ah, the young lady at the castle... I know what you mean about a mental image association while experiencing a story. Same thing happened in Burning Heroes with Recca. He liked certain characterizations in some of the scenes, partly because he became accustomed to seeing it that way, he said. As I refined BH, I made what seemed like minor adjustments, but Recca said it had a sort of new unfamiliar "feel" to it afterward. Some of these, I may have changed back.

Ritchie set a certain tone in BH. It was a good tone, and I tried to retain and enhance it throughout. Sometimes, I believe different players form varying images reading the same exact words. I suppose it can be very personal and also quite delicate, with the slightest shift in nuance magnifying a perceived difference.

I'm about to wrap up the chapter in which
Spoiler! :
the prince and young lady in question become unlikely allies,
so I haven't formed any kind of image about her yet. Therefore, I guess it's best to stay with the original name as you prefer. Maybe I can change my initial reaction after working with her for a while, but until I get to know and trust her better, Ack! I'll be looking around for IEDs every time she's in the neighborhood!

Things are going well.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the game :) I had a lot of fun with it as well as it flows by so quickly. I'm not against the name change you mentioned in the e-mail. Just let me run it by Filler later when you finish, and I'll make all the necessary adjustments to the script at that time before/during beta testing.

I look forward to seeing what you've done with it once you get finished :)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:21 am 
Site Admin

I still need screens guys, the ones Draken sent never arrived.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Weird... I sent them twice... I even double checked in the sent/out box using the webmail client, and everything sent just fine... Strange that an e-mail sent from a D-D address to another D-D address is failing to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Admin

I'm wondering if the attachments might not be too big or something. Try sending it to my cox address (if you know what it is)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next