Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga 2 post release feedback
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:04 am 

No, it's not that. It's hard to explain, not knowing the proper terms and all. Maybe Wildbill can help me out. I'll try to show what I mean by rearranging the sentence in the way I think is correct. Here is the original. "The Light Warrior, chosen by the Gods, only he can stand up to the Zuhl." And now the version I think is most correct. "Only the Light Warrior, chosen by the Gods, can stand up to the Zuhl." Or maybe this one. "The Light Warrior, chosen by the Gods: only he can stand up to the Zuhl." I'm fairly certain the original sentence is violating some sort of rule, but I can't lay my finger on it. I never really learned the proper terms. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or am I just completely wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 am 
Site Admin

Yay! Lesson time!

"chosen by the Gods" is an adjective clause (really it's "who was chosen by the Gods"). There really is a grammatical error at work here. Adjective clauses are removable from sentences; however, if it is removed, we end up with the following: The Light Warrior only he can stand up to the Zuhl. It is very obvious that this is NOT a complete sentence.

Now... The issue at hand here is the commas... These days, sadly, the "dash" (or even hyphens) has become sort of... well... forgotten. In its place, a lot of people will throw in commas instead. Now, if someone were writing formally, the original sentence should be: The Light Warrior - chosen by the Gods - only he can stand up to the Zuhl. In this case, the dash is better to use than the commas because we have (EDITED) what's almost an appositive which normally should be set-off by commas, but the nature of the dialog would create a sentence with incorrect grammar if we were to do so. If WB wants to add the dashes, then it will definitely eliminate the problem. The only reason that I wouldn't force (Hah! Force!) him to do it is that these days SOOO many people would simply throw in commas instead... Even professionally developed games have weird new punctuation at play when I read the subs for character dialog. Does that make it right? No, but I leave it up to WB to decide what he'd like to do ;)

End of lesson.

Last edited by Draken on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Yay! Lesson time!

"chosen by the Gods" is an adjective clause (really it's "who was chosen by the Gods"). There really is a grammatical error at work here. Adjective clauses are removable from sentences; however, if it is removed, we end up with the following: The Light Warrior only he can stand up to the Zuhl. It is very obvious that this is NOT a complete sentence.

Now... The issue at hand here is the commas... These days, sadly, the "dash" (or even hyphens) has become sort of... well... forgotten. In its place, a lot of people will throw in commas instead. Now, if someone were writing formally, the original sentence should be: The Light Warrior - chosen by the Gods - only he can stand up to the Zuhl. In this case, the dash is better to use than the commas because we have two independent clauses separated by a thought. If WB wants to add the dashes, then it will definitely eliminate the problem. The only reason that I wouldn't force (Hah! Force!) him to do it is that these days SOOO many people would simply throw in commas instead... Even professionally developed games have weird new punctuation at play when I read the subs for character dialog. Does that make it right? No, but I leave it up to WB to decide what he'd like to do ;)

End of lesson.
Add the dashes. Then, it shall become the honorable deed of the compleat grammarian!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 am 

Interesting. Thank you for the lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 pm 

Will be done.
I guess there's a bit of mea culpa here as if I recall correctly
this was one of my attempted rewrites while working with
Shiva's revisions. I'm not sure what I wanted to modify there
but I tried to make the sentence more in tune with his
interpretation.

Edit: Thanks for the refresher, Drakee. I couldn't quite put
my finger on what needed fixing there and I for one believe
we shouldn't forgo grammatical accuracy in any case, except
when deliberately trying to convey a characterization that
does not care for such, but these are isolated cases and shouldn't
be overdone.

Edit 2: All fixes commited.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 am 

I ran into the same screen issue that CRV ran into while polishing the idols in Altoga (this topic page 5). I'm using SNES 9x 1.42. It doesn't affect gameplay in anyway but I thought I would mention it too just in case.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:04 am 

I don't suppose anyone has a list of a list of sorts that shows all the sidequests and money/items to be found by searching in various spots?

Been trying out the game in preparation for the video, but had discovered there are a lot of little things you can do (which is quite nice) I would want to show the location of everything, but I dunno if I would be able to do so without some sort of guide (Would take too long to just search every nook and cranny and jot it down for future reference. In a few weeks there is a game coming out I want to play, but I also have a lot of videos to make before then, and I'd rather not take too long on one game).

I really do want to do this game, but it just wouldn't feel right if I left out a lot of stuff (Not just the areas that contain items/money, but also ones that have funny messages as well when you search) There is a "guide" of sorts on GameFAQs, but that's a rather bare bones guide if I ever saw one and it doesn't really include the info I'm looking for.

If someone did post a list on one of these topics already, then I must have missed it, so I'll apologize ahead of time for that, but if not, and if someone out there has a list of what I'm looking for, do you think you can share it? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 pm 

I'm not sure there, SM, but I don't think there are
specific item guides; one such guide would be a huge
venture as there are a lot of searchable areas in the game ^.^'
sorry for not being able to be of more help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
I'm not sure there, SM, but I don't think there are
specific item guides; one such guide would be a huge
venture as there are a lot of searchable areas in the game ^.^'
sorry for not being able to be of more help.

That's fine, don't worry about it. I'm not surprised someone hasn't done one yet. Perhaps when I have a lot of spare time I can go through the game again and make note of each location that I can find, so when I do go about making the video(s), I'll be able to show off most of the hidden goodies.

Course, if I could talk my FAQ writing friend to write a guide for this game, I'm sure she would take the time to create a huge list of where stuff was.

It's a fun game, and I do want to make a video walkthrough for it like I did for Slayers and DoaE2, but I want to make sure I do the game justice, and I just feel that if I don't find most/all the stuff, it wouldn't be good enough. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm 

I played through Silva Saga, the original, again yesterday, having done so years before. It is basically the same game as two, but with less stuff to do, and different particular objectives on the same maps. The maps are almost logically identical between games, though their order of introduction and purpose of use varies.

Its a really simple game, requiring little more than patience to outlast the endless procession of random encounters and use of the A button during fights (turbo-controller+speed-control). On boss fights cast Litam (once you have it) on everyone. I suggest everyone should play it, especially if you've played part two. You get to see the origin of Yulat's gate-keeping position, why that one chick has the hots for Kyral (you), and you will wonder where Arlow/Arlaw's cool-ass helmet went between games. You already know where to go, as they use nearly the same world, town, and dungeon maps. Also, chests re-spawn, so abuse that (equipment).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next