Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post subject: Re: Burning Heroes post release feedback
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 am 

Red Soul wrote:
This one never happened to me either.
Could you supply the necessary files for analysis, AKouji?
If that's not possible, I'll try and generate them myself;
thanks in advance for helping us unearth these little buggers
and bringing the patch to an even higher standard.

I attached an SRM with a save file right before the cutscene with the bug. Are there any other files I should attach?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I'm stuck in an airport in Ft. Myers, Florida - if someone can investigate this. I'm wondering if codes or cheats could have been applied. I recall writng, testing, and refining these strings multiple times with no formatting or displaying glitches.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:09 am 

None on my end, to be honest; the No Encounter cheat in ritchie's guide became tempting after a while, though. :lol:

I'm wondering if the emulator or method of patching is at fault. bsnes hasn't given me problems with patches in the past, but I'll give ZSNES and Snes9x a go later tonight. I'll also try soft patching instead of Lunar IPS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Admin

AKouji wrote:
None on my end, to be honest; the No Encounter cheat in ritchie's guide became tempting after a while, though. :lol:

I'm wondering if the emulator or method of patching is at fault. bsnes hasn't given me problems with patches in the past, but I'll give ZSNES and Snes9x a go later tonight. I'll also try soft patching instead of Lunar IPS.
I use SNESTool in some patches we build, ZSNES 151 with both hard and soft patching, SNES9x 143 for Geiger debugging save-states to Bongo`, and one or both of the SNES9X loads for the PSP. Nary a problem with these options, plus, Yuka did thorough tests with a PSP load, and all went well.

Depending on your findings, this may turn out to be a BSNES compatibility issue. We usually test our patches on BSNES, but we didn't with BH because the game was so stable. If you do uncover a BSNES compatibility problem, this would raise the usual question about real hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 am 

Alright, I have tried a number of things. Unfortunately, I can't pin down an end-user cause to the bug that occurs during the conversation between Mevius and the final boss. I am assuming that the bug in Chocolate's scenario that I previously reported would occur as well; I didn't really have a convenient way of testing it.

Using the same ROM as always (i.e., hard-patched with Lunar IPS) and SRM, the bug occurred with bsnes version 0.87, Snes9x version 1.53, and ZSNES version 1.51; therefore, the emulator is likely not at fault. From here on out, I just stuck with ZSNES.

To see if the ROM is the problem, I tested my SRM with an unpatched copy of the game, and the bug did not occur. All of the Japanese text during the scene was normal. The unpatched ROM's checksum is also good.

Finally, I tried different methods of applying the translation patch, other than Lunar IPS. I tried soft-patching the game with ZSNES, as well as hard-patching it with Snes-Tool version 1.2, and the bug occurred in both cases.

So it seems like there is something in the translation patch that is causing this bug to happen, but strangely enough, it seems that not everyone experiences it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

AKouji wrote:
Alright, I have tried a number of things. Unfortunately, I can't pin down an end-user cause to the bug that occurs during the conversation between Mevius and the final boss. I am assuming that the bug in Chocolate's scenario that I previously reported would occur as well; I didn't really have a convenient way of testing it.

Using the same ROM as always (i.e., hard-patched with Lunar IPS) and SRM, the bug occurred with bsnes version 0.87, Snes9x version 1.53, and ZSNES version 1.51; therefore, the emulator is likely not at fault. From here on out, I just stuck with ZSNES.

To see if the ROM is the problem, I tested my SRM with an unpatched copy of the game, and the bug did not occur. All of the Japanese text during the scene was normal. The unpatched ROM's checksum is also good.

Finally, I tried different methods of applying the translation patch, other than Lunar IPS. I tried soft-patching the game with ZSNES, as well as hard-patching it with Snes-Tool version 1.2, and the bug occurred in both cases.

So it seems like there is something in the translation patch that is causing this bug to happen, but strangely enough, it seems that not everyone experiences it.
Yours are the first reports of these types of glitches at the documented places or any others. We'll keep testing. Thanks for helping us out. If something is causing these issues randomly, maybe we can isolate it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 pm 

I have the impression that something may have happened between .99 and 1.00 since I tested through the game multiple times with every character and these issues were never triggered, but from my investigation it does seem the issues are persistant across emulators, which is most odd.

I too use Lunar IPS for hard patching when testing as Snestool became increasingly cumbersome to use as time went.
If the rest of the team agrees, I want to run a few experiments as far as patch format is concerned since these text glitches
have no reason to be popping about if nothing has been radically changed script wise and it could have to do with IPS format itself
as it is known to be a little too sloppy as far as error control goes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 pm 

hiya guys sorry for the delay on forum post i recently got a ear infection and its not letting me enjoy burning heroes and stuff but i will add i did try the exp code and the no encounter code if i come accross any thing thoughout the story i will let you guys know ok:)

sidsayian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 pm 

ok update guys im on chapter3 mostly going toward the star epic road whatever you call the space area road lol so ya i did come around a no encounter error in the underground block level where you get the earth key at so thats something for you guys to work on also i will keep you updated how far i get ok:)

sidsayian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:27 am 

ok im in the cosmic dungeon now i dont know if im going fight that alien like creature i saw in the old youtube final boss video but were see i will keep you guys updated im enjoying the game so much now:)

sidsayian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next