Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3rd Party Member?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am 

There's only four things I can identify hat has a relation to 7th Saga

1 - Combat system is similar, or in this case very much the same

2 - Encounter system (the crystal orb)

3 - Arks which reminds me of the Runes

4 - The Lux character which was from the first one.

It's very weird if you ask me. I've seen games similar to other games but have no direct relation but to be honest, I think this is the first title that has too much in relation (even though it's not a sequel). I mean why bring back Lux, that was a character (WITH a story line) from 7th Saga.

Other note/observerstions: I'm still too early in the game, but I wish each character had more of background description other than the intro. After you get the first ark, you just pick up all six statues and use them however you please. To add the party members just free fully join you, whereas in the previous game, every character had a background AND personality. But as I said, I'm still too early in the game, game's not only cryptic in puzzles but character information as well (I get the story of the game it's the characters I'm curious about since there are close similar relations to 7th Saga and this). I'm hoping the game will answer these questions later on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:10 am 

Ultimacj wrote:
There's only four things I can identify hat has a relation to 7th Saga

1 - Combat system is similar, or in this case very much the same

2 - Encounter system (the crystal orb)

3 - Arks which reminds me of the Runes

4 - The Lux character which was from the first one.

It's very weird if you ask me. I've seen games similar to other games but have no direct relation but to be honest, I think this is the first title that has too much in relation (even though it's not a sequel). I mean why bring back Lux, that was a character (WITH a story line) from 7th Saga.

Other note/observerstions: I'm still too early in the game, but I wish each character had more of background description other than the intro. After you get the first ark, you just pick up all six statues and use them however you please. To add the party members just free fully join you, whereas in the previous game, every character had a background AND personality. But as I said, I'm still too early in the game, game's not only cryptic in puzzles but character information as well (I get the story of the game it's the characters I'm curious about since there are close similar relations to 7th Saga and this). I'm hoping the game will answer these questions later on.

Yes, you're bound to find answers; they won't, however, be clear cut ones.
All the cryptic nature of the game is very much on purpose as I mentioned earlier.
The battle system, while similar, is not a carbon copy in its entirerty; if I recall correctly
in 7th Saga a block-attack-block-attack pattern was rather usual - otherwise one wouldn't
be able to dish out any appreciable damage - whereas that os not the case in Mystic Ark,
although buffs still will play a large part in turning the tables towards you.

Lux is most likely not the same individual as in 7th Saga, there is a whole race of them,
at least I would assume so. You see, Mystic Ark won't tell you things little by little as you progress
the story; you tend to get big chunks of content at times, and its up to the player to discern the
big picture; it can be confusing at times but its ultimately rewarding once it all clicks in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 am 

ah yeah 7th saga did have that block hit harder deal. But everything else stayed the same but difficulty of combat wasn't as intense. Argh dodging spells = aggravating.

I hope the ending / climax of the game is cryptic if it doesn't make sense rather than a WTF moment lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:56 am 

sigh so lame. I really hate that in RPGS.

So if the MC dies even if you have party members that are still alive it's considered a party wipe. :(

Ok so 5th difference between this and 7th Saga lol :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 am 

Ultimacj wrote:
sigh so lame. I really hate that in RPGS.

So if the MC dies even if you have party members that are still alive it's considered a party wipe. :(

Ok so 5th difference between this and 7th Saga lol :(

Its not always the case, but in MA it is, yes, due to the figurines
being nothing more than wooden dolls without the powers flowing
through the main character.

Remember to use your buffs well; if you are playing as Remeer
bolster your attack (buffs can be layered many times in this game) and
if you are playing as Ferris, up your speed and fight on.

I suggest you keep Meisia around at all times, but if you'd rather
not, at least use her in boss battles to improve your survivability.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:01 am 

Thats what I did, though I DIDNT know you could carry all the dolls and they get expierence respectfully (I thought they had to be active to gain XP -which def beats leveling each character indiviually). Sadly I'm behind on levels on the other characters, my MC and Meisia are around level 18 while the others are roughly around level 9. I didn't bust out the other dolls til the 3rd world due to inventory reasons that and didn't know they could be leveled up in a doll state.

Makes sense with the MC dying, it just sucks (I never cared for it in RPGS even if it did make sense) because you have everything riding on him and you have two alive party members that could easily raise. Nice to know buffs can stack, so I can cast the spell HARD or use DEFENSE BOTTLES more than once on him in a fight?

Oh well. Love finding out the hard way. Old school gaming rocks! :lol:

Edit: Another reason why I hate that is because you got the boss down to 1% health, everyone's 100% and the boss does an instant death move. Your party members avoid it but the MC doesn't. Whoops sorry instant GAME OVER even though you could easily finish it off with two perfectly alive party members!
It's just a slap to the face.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm 

Ultimacj wrote:
Thats what I did, though I DIDNT know you could carry all the dolls and they get expierence respectfully (I thought they had to be active to gain XP -which def beats leveling each character indiviually). Sadly I'm behind on levels on the other characters, my MC and Meisia are around level 18 while the others are roughly around level 9. I didn't bust out the other dolls til the 3rd world due to inventory reasons that and didn't know they could be leveled up in a doll state.

Inventory can be a problem in this game at times due to carrying all the figurines, so one thing you could do is not keeping surplus equipment around to free up as much space as you can, or just get the figurines you know you'll use. For me Kamiwoo and Meisia
are quite sufficient, although you could do swap ins to suit your tastes (like using Lux for a more defensive oriented party instead of Kamiwoo).

Ultimacj wrote:
Makes sense with the MC dying, it just sucks (I never cared for it in RPGS even if it did make sense) because you have everything riding on him and you have two alive party members that could easily raise. Nice to know buffs can stack, so I can cast the spell HARD or use DEFENSE BOTTLES more than once on him in a fight?

Not only on the main, but the others just as well.
I remember once, when fighting the last boss,
I stacked attack buffs on Kamiwoo so many times
that he did ludicrously high damage on every hit.

Ultimacj wrote:
Oh well. Love finding out the hard way. Old school gaming rocks! :lol:

Edit: Another reason why I hate that is because you got the boss down to 1% health, everyone's 100% and the boss does an instant death move. Your party members avoid it but the MC doesn't. Whoops sorry instant GAME OVER even though you could easily finish it off with two perfectly alive party members!
It's just a slap to the face.

The main, Meisia and Miriene all learn anti-death spells if I recall correctly, so when fighting a boss the first thing you should do
is cast it on everyone, just to make sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 pm 

Those who have played Persona 3 and 4 know what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:58 pm 

Spoiler! :
A table manners puzzle? Really? Hmmmm

I've been trying to use capture figurine move to no avail. Any tips to improve its success rate?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:19 pm 

I think capturing is really entirely random, although if I recall correctly, much like pokemon if a monster is weak or asleep the chances may go up. Goes without saying but bosses cannot be captured.