Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga 2 post release feedback
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:41 am 
Site Admin

:P I figured there was a little steam building over that comment. Don't take it too personally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 am 

lol, I don't know what you guys are talking about, but here are some more....

Spoiler! :
Missing "on".

This one is more of a suggestion, maybe not necessarily wrong. It just seems like the "god of" titles should be capitalized.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 am 

Spoiler! :
Improper grammar usage.

"Recommendation"

Missing "the".

Just a missing comma. I don't usually mention these, since I'm bad with commas. But this one stood out for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:50 am 

Several of your findings aren't showing in the previous pages, Swordmaster.
Could you maybe re-upload those? they'll will be easier to fix once I can see them.
In page 8, what do you mean by "improper grammar usage"?
the commas or something else?

You know, you remind me of myself when I started to frequent the forums
of what would later become what D-D is today, haha; always finding
stuff that could be improved and/or corrected. Next thing I knew, the guys
took me under their wing.

Thanks for your effort and attention, you are indeed helping our patch become
even better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm 

Hey guys, how come I can't see swordmaster's screenshots?

When I expand his spoiler tags all I see is the photobucket "photo has been moved/deleted" thumbnail? :?:

EDIT: At least I see these:

Swordmaster wrote:
Spoiler! :
Improper grammar usage.

What do you mean by improper grammar usage? Do you mean the use of run-on sentence structure? This dialogue is perfectly fine by me. Yes it could have been written as "The light warrior was chosen by God & only he can stand up to the Zuhl." But as I said, run-on sentences are fine & they add character to the dialogue.

"Recommendation"

Missing "the".

"A witch who lives in sky" would have made sense if "sky" was a specific town or location though :D

Just a missing comma. I don't usually mention these, since I'm bad with commas. But this one stood out for some reason.

I wonder where would the comma go? Between hamlet & really? Or between ago & to? I too am a bit dull with punctuations but for me this dialogue seems fine as is.

Swordmaster wrote:
Spoiler! :
Not sure if it's an extra "he" or a missing "but".

LOL! The way I read that was that the merc (or guard or knight, based on his sprite's attire) was kind of chuckling (I read it as "He he" as in a laugh) at the fact that Prince Kyral was Ragged :D

Swordmaster wrote:
Spoiler! :

I would say it's a combination of, "Yes, that is the one." And, "Yes, that is the ring." Again, that has to be one of the most common mistakes. I see it all the time in novels.

LOL! "Lord of the Rings" Reference is how I read that. Who knows, that priest might have been Gollum or Sauron in disguise :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:21 am 

Red Soul wrote:
Several of your findings aren't showing in the previous pages, Swordmaster.
Could you maybe re-upload those? they'll will be easier to fix once I can see them.
In page 8, what do you mean by "improper grammar usage"?
the commas or something else?

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm new to this sort of thing. I've never used photobucket until I decided to upload images to this forum. I didn't realize that I needed to keep those images on photobucket. I had deleted them once they had served their purpose. I have since revived what was left of my .png files from the recycle bin. Some of the first ones are gone forever, sadly. My apologies. And what I meant about "improper grammar usage" is the sentence structure. If it is indeed correct, I apologize.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:04 am 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:
What do you mean by improper grammar usage? Do you mean the use of run-on sentence structure?

And this is the problem that a lot of us run into when editing! Sure, it's improper to have run-on sentences, and WB knows I do my best to point them out. However, there are certain points in dialog when they are fine. Sadly, that's the way people talk nowadays. Also, one needs to be careful with commas/hyphens because although there are rules in place that govern their position, a lot of times they may not be necessary or the two forms of punctuation may be interchangeable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:56 am 

In that case, I shall omit those types of reports. I usually do, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 am 

My thoughts on having "perfect" grammar versus "breaking teh rules" when it come to character dialogue, especially in a videogame such as an RPG is that it will add some personality to a character be they the in game heroes or just a one liner NPC. I actually enjoy it better if there'd be an NPC that talks like he's from hicksville &/or if he sounds like one of those "gangsta thugz" types because you can somehow relate to them. If everyone talks "properly" then the dialogue will sound bland & dull.

You might think of this as strange, but I actually prefer "reading" dialogue than listening to it. Why you ask? Back in the day of these games (the age of the NES, SNES, The Master System, the Megadrive & PC DOS Based RPGs) whenever I play RPGs I'd often act out & create voices for characters in the game :D Let's say the hero characters are talking to a village elder or a town mayor, for such a character I'd often think of either "Turtle Hermit" From Dragon Ball Z or "Mayor" from Power Puff Girls :lol: I know it sounds weird but I really like to think of Public officials as lewd & unreliable people because most of 'em are LOL!

Now that every game has voice acting it's either hit or miss for me. Take for example the spin-off movie "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children". First off I'd always envisioned Cloud to be a tough looking guy partly because in the original Playstation game he looked badass. Then Advent Children comes a long & at the very beginning I saw this hot looking biker chick, but lo & behold it was actually Cloud! Ugh! So right there my idea of Cloud went out the roof & then to top it all of he was given a whiny voice! So yeah, better graphics & voice acting totally ruined current gen gaming for me & my love for this pixelated retro classics became stronger.

Swordmaster wrote:
And what I meant about "improper grammar usage" is the sentence structure. If it is indeed correct, I apologize.

No need for apologies my friend because you are correct about run-on sentences being grammatically improper when it comes written media such as a journal, a research paper or a publication. But in spoken language, Grammar rules are often if not always get broken, distorted & sometimes redefined by the "current generation" who use it. Take for example the use of Double Negatives, several decades ago such sentences as ""I won't not use no double negatives." would enrage your "stereotypical" schoolmarm who'd probably let you have it with her yard stick if you said that in front of her. But nowadays double negatives are a common thing, especially in music :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 am 

Swordmaster wrote:
In that case, I shall omit those types of reports. I usually do, anyway.

No no, you shouldn't omit them at all, carving perfection takes meticulous hard work and patience,
even if we relate to the relative perfection we humans can hope to attain.
What I'm trying to understand is what is wrong in that case so I can correct it,
although its probably the comma usage, looking more closely. I'll rewrite to
better convey the meaning while maintaining correctness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next