Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Name equivalents
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:22 am 
Site Admin

Since there were multiple translators on this project there are some naming collisions. I've decided to preserve them because it gives the team/writer a chance to make a decision on what is preferred rather than normalizing it on my own. Other interpretations are possible of course. I'm just documenting the two versions used so there is no confusion.

Shaqra = Shakra = Shyakura
Reya = Leah
Loowan = Ruwan
Acbal = Akbar
Zark = Zach
Milbatos = Milbatoss
Kwaf = Quaf
Oltoba= Ortoba
Livati = Rivatie
Heraldo = Harald
Toad Compass = Gama Compass
Bain = Bane

Also I made a questionable naming choice for something that turned out to be the focal point of the whole game. It's called the "Dark Arts Weapon". That's a literal translation but there could be a number of other interpretations. Magical weapon, sorcery weapon, etc...

With names like this that sound goofy no matter what transliteration is normally both acceptable and preferred.

It transliterates to "Madouki". I don't know if that's any better. Just putting this out there.

The original translator chose to translate "-dono" as Lord. I chose to ignore this honorific. The same with "-sama". The original translator used "Master" and I simply ignored it. I'll let you decide how to deal with these honorifics but I'm culling "Lord" from the script and leaving "Master" only where there is a spot where there is an obvious servant/disciple relationship.

Also FYI I'm editing some things to conform to my writing style like minimizing the abuse of elipsis (...) and exclamations (!!) common in all Japanese scripts, using "Ha-ha-ha" in place of "Hahaha", using standard laughs instead of "bwahaha", "ghahaha", adding a dash to certain exclamations ("Ahh-!" instead of "Ahh!") etc... I prefer these to the point that I'm imposing them on the portions of the script I did not translate. Wildbill is of course free to edit in his own style.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Last edited by filler on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:52 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Name equivalents
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:38 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Since there were multiple translators on this project there are some naming collisions. I've decided to preserve them because it gives the team/writer a chance to make a decision on what is preferred rather than normalizing it on my own. Other interpretations are possible of course. I'm just documenting the two versions used so there is no confusion.

Shaqra = Shakra
Reya = Leah
Loowan = Ruwan
Acbal = Akbar
Zark = Zach

Also I made a questionable naming choice for something that turned out to be the focal point of the whole game. It's called the "Dark Arts Weapon". That's a literal translation but there could be a number of other interpretations. Magical weapon, sorcery weapon, etc...

With names like this that sound goofy no matter what transliteration is normally both acceptable and preferred.

It transliterates to "Madouki". I don't know if that's any better. Just putting this out there.
Fussing with the names is always a joy, especially when we're dealing with something that doesn't have a prequel with familiar names that have been localized by a commercial company. Even then, we get into endless "Babble/Bubble Slime" sorts of arguments with equal passion (or pure-D-stubbornness) on both sides. Did you double up the names throughout, such as Shaqra/Shakra, or is this the legend above we will go by as we proceed and encounter one or the other?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Just my votes not that they count for anything. It is up to the script writer to decide this IMO :)

Shaqra = Shakra - Shakra
Reya = Leah - Reya (Leya maybe but not Leah, in either case that is too star warsy)
Loowan = Ruwan - Ruwan (Actually why not Rowan?)
Acbal = Akbar - Akbar
Zark = Zach - Zack

Dark Arts is definitely what I'd stick to. Sounds mysterious and encompasses lots of evil nasty thoughts beyond magic and ect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Fussing with the names is always a joy, especially when we're dealing with something that doesn't have a prequel with familiar names that have been localized by a commercial company. Even then, we get into endless "Babble/Bubble Slime" sorts of arguments with equal passion (or pure-D-stubbornness) on both sides. Did you double up the names throughout, such as Shaqra/Shakra, or is this the legend above we will go by as we proceed and encounter one or the other?

The names are not doubled up. The names appear as one or the other in the script depending on the translator. The legend is intended to help with a search/replace or something when the time comes.

Taskforce: Thanks for those recommendations. Leya (Leia is another possibility but I prefer to avoid for the obvious Star Wars reference) and Zack are probably good choices due to the more obvious pronunciation. I know people named Zach and Leah so it's obvious to me how to say them but others may find the alternates more obvious.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:09 pm 

Shaqra...
not a butt-kicking tall black guy? :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Leah and Akbar?? IT"S A TRAP!!!

(Had to be be done...)