Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SSMS-II Enemy Guide...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:29 am 

Finally, after what feels like an eternity, I finished the SSMS-II Enemy Guide. Yes, it's complete (I checked it against the Daikaijuu Monogatari II guide, which also lists all the enemies, along with some of their stats). I actually finished compiling the enemy list last week, but I was unsure of how best to organize and present all this data. I spent a few days resting from SSMS-II and thinking about this. I finally reached an answer, and here is the result: the SSMS-II Enemy Guide. There are two versions...one is a .pdf file, which is probably the one most people will want, and the other is an Excel file, with LOTS of data.

Here's the .pdf version:
Super Shell Monsters Story II - Enemy Guide
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ziggq318 ... e.pdf/file

Here's the Excel version:
Super Shell Monsters Story II - Enemy List
https://www.mediafire.com/file/enscha2p ... .xlsx/file

The .pdf differs from the Excel version in that the data is organized differently. The Excel version is literally just a long list of all the enemies, their stats, items, etc.

At one point I actually wondered if I'd ever finish this guide, but...that's my fault, really. Initially, I only planned to make an enemy guide listing every single enemy, along with its stats and items carried. That sounds simple enough, so I started doing that and finished jotting down the info for, oh, around 80 enemies (which is about a third of the total number). At this point, however, I started thinking that the enemy guide was a bit bare-bones, and that it would be nice to include the results of Kupi's "Jewel" spell on every enemy. It still struck me as needing something else, so I got the crazy idea to also figure out WHICH enemies actually teach Poyon his spells. The only problem there is that I had no idea which spells Poyon could learn. I was browsing the forum one day and stumbled across umegamer's post, where he lists the cheat codes for all of Poyon's magic spells, so I jotted down the spell names quickly (thanks, umegamer, that was a huge time-saver!) Great idea to include Poyon's info, right? Yeah, except that I had already re-started on the first 80 enemies, trying Kupi's "Jewel" spell. I immediately noticed, however, that Kupi's "Jewel" spell wasn't working (that is, it would ALWAYS miss, and it would NEVER work, which I thought was strange). I continued along, then I reached the point where I wanted to include Poyon's info, as well, which meant...that's right: re-start, again, so I can get a list of the enemy skills (I mean, I can't learn Poyon's spells if the enemy I'm fighting against doesn't know the right skill, so compiling a skill list for the enemies was also necessary). As I was re-starting (for the third time), it occurred to me to check my cheats list...it was then I noticed that I was using cheats to give my character 99 of each gem. I decided to disable them, just to make sure they weren't affecting the game, and...the very first enemy I tried the "Jewel" spell on, turned into a gem. Those active cheats I was using actually PREVENTED Kupi's "Jewel" spell from working!

Anyway, with the "Jewel" problem solved, I slogged through the first 80 enemies again, then proceeded with the game, logging all the info, until I finally finished last week. I started working on this around the start of August, but it's finally done. Honestly, I could have saved myself a lot of time if I had just figured out exactly what I wanted to include, instead of, you know, reaching 1/3 of the game, then decide I'd like to add something else.

Oh, and here's a tip that helped with Poyon learning all the skills: at first, I thought that things would go much quicker if I used "Poyoyon!" and lucked out with "Poyon Change", which changes EVERYONE in the party into Poyon. I figured since EVERYONE is Poyon, he should learn the skill more quickly, but the results weren't very good: it's random, and more often than not, Poyon would NOT learn the skill. Eventually, I stumbled across a way that makes it faster for Poyon to learn the skills.

For this example, let's say you're trying to learn the skill, "Hydra Blow", which is taught by the enemy "Hydra".

1) Go to the area where "Hydra" appears (the cave to Cliff Palace).
2) Have everyone in the party EXCEPT Poyon at death's door (preferably with 1 HP).
3) Enter into combat repeatedly, using the helper "Cole". If a Hydra is NOT present, RUN AWAY. Repeat the process of "Running Away" until a Hydra appears.
4) Once a Hydra appears, kill ALL OTHER ENEMIES but the Hydra. Once the Hydra is the only enemy left alive, have all the characters in your party "Block". Since your other party members should be close to dying, they should drop dead even if the Hydra looks at them funny.
5) Basically, you only want POYON to be alive. Yeah, everyone else must die, that's why I said it helps if everyone else but Poyon is at death's door. Anyway, the idea is that since Poyon is the ONLY character alive, he is the only one who will be struck by the enemy.
6) Now that Poyon is the only one alive, either "Block" or use a healing item, but don't attack the enemy. Keep doing this until Poyon is hit 5-6 times with the spell you're trying to learn. Once that happens, kill the enemy and you *should* learn the skill. Oh, and don't forget to heal your other party members afterward.

I was using the "Poyon Change" spell and let the Hydra hit my party 15-20 times with that skill, but Poyon would NOT learn the skill. After I let everybody else in my party die, Poyon learned that same skill after being hit with it around 5-6 times. This worked for all enemies, by the way, and not just the Hydra.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions, post away.

Post subject: Re: SSMS-II Enemy Guide...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations, I know it was a lot of hard work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:00 am 

Thanks, taskforce! True, it took longer than I expected to finish, but it's done now. As an added bonus, since I was looking at all the enemy skills, I actually found that one of Kupi's spells is misspelled (Mega Death → Megadeath). It's funny how I noticed this, though: I was in the middle of fighting "Red Baron" and he cast the spell, "Megadeath", at my party. I thought, "Hey! I have that spell too, with Kupi!
Here, have a taste of your own medicine!" I used that same spell against him, but was surprised when the spelling was different. That's also noted in the last report, #18, of course.

It's funny, though...when I started this enemy guide project, I had no intention of submitting any more reports, but it seems that side projects like this can also uncover issues. That's...a good thing, actually, as the more bugs that are caught/corrected now, the better the final release will be.

Now that I've finished, I look forward to taking a break and relaxing, for a change.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:33 pm 

Amazing work. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 pm 

@midget35: Thank you! I hope it's useful. I know when I played the game the first time, I never even bothered to learn ANY of Poyon's skills, but that was mainly because I had no clue as to which skills he could learn, much less which enemies taught them. If nothing else, that part of the guide alone should prove useful (when it comes to Poyon, anyway).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:11 pm 

Absolutely! It's just wonderful that this obscure gem gets such a detailed guide... it's a fine game and seeing your work (of great quality, to boot) makes the game more approachable for others. Just a class thing you've done :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:37 am 

midget35 wrote:
Absolutely! It's just wonderful that this obscure gem gets such a detailed guide... it's a fine game and seeing your work (of great quality, to boot) makes the game more approachable for others. Just a class thing you've done :)

Thank you for your kind words, and I'm glad you like it!