Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: SSMS II Maps...
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Herculean job, Bwah117! Yep, I jumped into Win10 with the free upgrade, then loaded my wife's desk PC, since her company runs proprietary software on 10 that will function only in that OS. Once Win7 support ended, I was versed well enough in the differences to load it into other units that I keep going. One problem I've noticed, however. The screen saver will work in one build, then break in the next revision. I've gotten to where I go to the screen saver menu, then I will hit "preview" and leave it at that for a while.

So, thanks again for putting together the maps. I could have used these while building the game, ha-ha!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 am 

Thanks for the kind words, Wildbill, and I know exactly what you mean about the maps (especially navigating Kutomina Palace and Dark's Fortress (which isn't done yet, but will be soon)). Another reason it took so long is that I've been quite busy with work. Construction work has picked up, so that leaves me with less free time, which, in turn, means less time to devote to projects like this. Oh, well...it'll all get done, in due time.

Windows 10. Yeah, it wasn't that long ago I remember reading how, seemingly every other Windows 10 update, would 'break' something in the OS. That didn't really build much confidence, going in, but I have installed Win10 for other family members (and none of them have reported any issues whatsoever). From what I've seen so far, Windows 10 seems quite stable, and the bad reputation it has in some circles seems undeserved. Also, several games have been releasing lately which require Windows 10 to run (that is, they won't run properly, or at all, under Windows 7, so that's another reason to finally upgrade).

@taskforce: Yeah, you're probably right. It's easy to get paranoid, especially after such a close call with my main hard drive. For now, I'll fall back on my "4 year" plan and just keep an eye on my SSD. I'll still probably make a backup a little later, as it's something I've neglected (granted, I've never needed it, but you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20...) Oh, and thanks for the Crystaldiskinfo tip, as well. I didn't know about that, so I'll definitely download it and check it out. Just out of curiosity, I checked to see whether my SSD (Western Digital Blue 3D NAND) used TLC or MLC, and you were right: it uses TLC. I was so impressed, initially, with its performance that I debated whether I should replace my D: and E: mechanical HD's with SSD's as well, but decided against it (if I were going to upgrade the old HD's, I'd at least want 4 TB SSD's, but it's hard to justify the price for an SSD, of that capacity, when I can get a mechanical HD at TWICE the capacity for the same price). Prices have come down into the 'reasonable' price range, though, so it's probably just a matter of time that the larger capacity SSD's will drop in price as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:03 am 

Finally, all maps are done. The first post has been updated with new links, along with extra info pertaining to the v2 versions (in case anyone is curious).

If anyone notices any mistakes or anything that is incorrect, please let me know so I can fix it. Sorry about all the 'v2' files, but at least any mistakes I found have been fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:47 am 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Finally, all maps are done. The first post has been updated with new links, along with extra info pertaining to the v2 versions (in case anyone is curious).

If anyone notices any mistakes or anything that is incorrect, please let me know so I can fix it. Sorry about all the 'v2' files, but at least any mistakes I found have been fixed.
Outstanding! We should make these downloadable, maybe even zipped into the release package. We'll see what TF and everyone thinks. If the DL becomes a little bulky, we can link it to a second package. Thanks, Bwah117!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Too big to be part of the release but I am going to post them now. Meant to a long time ago but you know how it goes, out of sight, out of mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:53 am 

Thanks, Wildbill, taskforce! And, taskforce, it's probably better that you waited to post them, since the filename changed (from 'Part 1' to 'Complete'), so did the download url. With the complete zip file, the download url will stay the same, even if I were to make any corrections down the road. Case in point: around 10 minutes after I uploaded all the files, I decided to check whether or not you actually CAN return to the overworld map, and I found that...you cannot 'call' the lifts in Section 2 (they are one-way only, and would require Party A be at a lower level that cannot be reached now). I made the edits and uploaded the new files, so all is well (and yes, the zip file here does have all 'v2' files, I checked).

I have a few other things to try in the game before I sit down and write the last report. Since it'll really be the last report, it might take me a few days to process it, but it'll get posted in due time! I hope these maps are of some use to new players, and thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:57 am 
Site Admin

Just let me know if you update it, I've actually uploaded it to our server for download. All links to it are up. It is in the documents section of the downloads page and on the project page in 2 separate spots.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:05 am 

I actually checked each and every map before I uploaded them, but you know how it is when you're tired. It's easy to make mistakes, which usually don't get caught until later. I caught 2-3 mistakes just today, before uploading the update, and another 2 mistakes 10 minutes after. I *think* I might have corrected all the mistakes/problems, but I'll check all the maps again tomorrow, when I'm more rested. I'll definitely let you know if I update the pack, though!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:42 am 

Hi, taskforce! Just letting you know I updated the complete map pack, along with all other files/links. I've gone over every map and I believe I've caught pretty much all the mistakes/corrections that needed fixing. Unless anyone else points out anything that needs correcting, this will probably be my last update to the map pack. Just letting you know in case you'd like to mirror the latest version of the updated files.

PS: I saw how you used the Shelldorado World Map on the 'Projects' page. Really nice! I'm impressed! Then again, that's one of the nicer maps in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
I actually checked each and every map before I uploaded them, but you know how it is when you're tired. It's easy to make mistakes, which usually don't get caught until later. I caught 2-3 mistakes just today, before uploading the update, and another 2 mistakes 10 minutes after. I *think* I might have corrected all the mistakes/problems, but I'll check all the maps again tomorrow, when I'm more rested. I'll definitely let you know if I update the pack, though!
I just put you on the team, Bwah117

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next