Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Me, My Stuff, and I
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:53 am 
Site Admin

It's been quiet around here... :P

I recently moved in with my dad, after just having celebrated my 40th birthday. I'm pretty okay with this, despite how easy it would be to put myself down for it. I'm getting back on my feet, and aside from a constricted cash flow, I'm running my own business and things aren't so bad.

On the (additional?) plus side, with all my crap packed away, and some pressure relieved, I'm doing more translation hacking than normal. It strikes me as sad how easy it can be to make progress on a translation project when the distractions of adult life are not eating you alive.

I decided to poke at Nakayama Miho's Tokimeki High School for the FDS literally one week ago today, and I've already made a table file, found and dumped possibly all the game's text, inserted a title screen, inserted a font, made an English table file, inserted the translated menu items, and translated about 20-25% of the script. I've only been able to do this because I have almost no life distractions aside from focusing on my business and doing this in my spare time.

How much more would we all do if only our lives were less... Controlled, constrained, desperate? Not sure what it is, but it makes this work hard to do.

Anyway, just wanted to rant, and mention my work on Tokimeki High School. I still need to get back to someone who offered to help me with Maison Ikkoku on the Famicom as well, and I'm translating the script for Power Dolls 3 because?

I've been checking the Famicom library though, and damn. There is some fine looking stuff that's been left on the table. I'm still surprised that some of these games have just been sitting around this whole time. Planning to dig into at least one or two more Famicom/FDS games before I get back to what my focus really should be which is finishing up some of the great stuff Esperknight and I were working on years ago.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: Me, My Stuff, and I
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that you're keeping busy with the romhacking hobby! I'm also starting to get a little closer to 40, and I find it really tough to find the time I really need. I wish I had this much work to do on scripts way back when I was in my early twenties. I could have gotten things done so much more quickly ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Lol. I'll be 41 next month, and I swear things are harder, and more stressful than ever before! Hacking allows me to disconnect from the craziness. I loved working on the Famicom, not really sure about the FDS. I'm sure It would be easy enough to deal with. Snes is my cup of tea.

Filler: as far as your business goes, is it brick-and-mortar type, Online, or something else?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Lol. I'll be 41 next month, and I swear things are harder, and more stressful than ever before! Hacking allows me to disconnect from the craziness. I loved working on the Famicom, not really sure about the FDS. I'm sure It would be easy enough to deal with. Snes is my cup of tea.

Filler: as far as your business goes, is it brick-and-mortar type, Online, or something else?
We're all getting old. :D Glad that hacking gives you a break. I suppose it's the same for me right now too.

From what I hear the FDS is a pain because of ram for storing extra script. I don't know much about it though. I won't ask you to help out on my Famicom/FDS projects, though I'll need a hand from someone getting the scripts inserted since I have no idea how to do that properly.

I'm selling online on eBay. I have great plans for an standalone online store and such but I've been busy just dealing with my current workload. Hopefully now I can get back to it.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Lol, I forgot to even mention I tackled a couple of other roms.

Idol Hakkenden, and Chibi Maruko-chan Uki Uki Shopping.

The first is about a girl who is competing to inherit her family's fortune by becoming an idol singer. The second is a board game featuring the titular character of the anime/manga, where you have to collect something from a bunch of locations and you get points for buying souvenirs.

They both look pretty cute and have been easy enough for me to get started. I've made table files, inserted fonts, and dumped scripts for both games. If nothing else I'd like to get them translated and posted for someone to finish in the future.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:50 am 

Dynamic Designs Nursing Home. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin

If only such a place existed. Imagine all the work we'd get done ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:04 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
If only such a place existed. Imagine all the work we'd get done ;)

Yeah, if we could remember to do them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 am 
Site Admin

When we're all looking for a place to retire in a couple of decades we should touch base. :D

BTW: I'm messing around with another ROM. Marusa no Onna, a.k.a. A Taxing Woman. It's based on the movie of the same name by Juuzou Itami, director of other break-out hits like the Funeral (which I still need to see) and Tampopo (an old favorite of mine). It's about a tax auditor who uncovers companies' tax evasion.

Though it may seem like an odd choice for a Famicom game, it fits nicely into the detective game genre. It was released about a year after the second of the two A Taxing Woman films.

I haven't gotten quite as far with this as the other games I dove into recently. I made a table file for the in-game text, though it uses some dictionary compression I still need to try to identify. The sign graphics seem to be readily accessible, and I changed one sign, but I can't check it in-game yet without progressing further in the game.

The title screen is a pretty big mess though. I don't know how people normally tackle those. I made one for Nakayama Miho's Tokimeki High School, but it was a real pain to put back in to the ROM due to the way the tiles were split up. Marusa no Onna looks even worse. :(

ImageImage

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:43 pm 

filler wrote:
When we're all looking for a place to retire in a couple of decades we should touch base. :D

BTW: I'm messing around with another ROM. Marusa no Onna, a.k.a. A Taxing Woman. It's based on the movie of the same name by Juuzou Itami, director of other break-out hits like the Funeral (which I still need to see) and Tampopo (an old favorite of mine). It's about a tax auditor who uncovers companies' tax evasion.

Though it may seem like an odd choice for a Famicom game, it fits nicely into the detective game genre. It was released about a year after the second of the two A Taxing Woman films.

I haven't gotten quite as far with this as the other games I dove into recently. I made a table file for the in-game text, though it uses some dictionary compression I still need to try to identify. The sign graphics seem to be readily accessible, and I changed one sign, but I can't check it in-game yet without progressing further in the game.

The title screen is a pretty big mess though. I don't know how people normally tackle those. I made one for Nakayama Miho's Tokimeki High School, but it was a real pain to put back in to the ROM due to the way the tiles were split up. Marusa no Onna looks even worse. :(

ImageImage

Somebody hack the game's title screen. It is free for anyone that are translating the game. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2100/