Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Cliff - FINALLY! An Epic Movie of the Period
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Red Cliff: Destiny Lies in the Wind (http://www.redclifffilm.com/) is an almost five hour dramatization of one of the greatest naval defeats in history. More appropriate to this board, it covers one of the major scenarios in this game, a pivotal moment in the rise of Liu Bei as he and many others sought to save justice along with the Han Dynasty by bringing the overly ambitious Han Prime Minister Cao Cao under control. For some reason, probably due to the size of the original game, this battle was omitted from DoaE-I.

Red Cliff is eye candy at it's finest, and brings the spirit of all of the DoaE's roaring to life. I am reminded of Cecil B. DeMille's extravaganzas and other epic movies in the 20th century such as Ben Hur.

Liu Bei is a very important figure in Red Cliff, but the story centers more around Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang. Zhou Yun is also featured prominently, followed by Zhang Fei and Guan Yu. I must say that the Zhang Fei character was depicted more like I imagined Guan Yu to behave. People I would have liked to have seen in this movie are Jiang Wei and Pang Tong, but without checking my Ro3K data to confirm, it's possible they didn't figure into the Battle of Red Cliff.

All-in-all, I guess the movie depicted about 5% of DoaE-II, but it was an important part of the Han's dissolution, as all of the movie reviews state. The Ro3K saga literally screams out for a miniseries or full series that brings us the whole experience. I hope we will see more movies such as this in the future.

Modern Chinese people, especially those who reside in Red China, need to take a lesson from the major point this movie makes, that the sort of dynasty the Han idealists fought for is achievable only within a system based on honor and justice. This will never be attainable under any form of communism, but the world respects Liu Bei and his followers and what they tried to accomplish for their homeland roughly eighteen-hundred years ago. Otherwise, this saga would not endure and transcend cultural lines in the 21st Century!