Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Starship unit translations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:28 am 
Site Admin

First off, thanks Taskforce, as always for creating such nice looking project pages! It's a great joy being able to work together with you, Wildbill and everyone else here at D-D. Hopefully, we'll be able to continue working together like this for many more years to come. We'll keep on going strong despite what some of the alt-left liberal trolls at RHDN and other such sites might think and say about us.

And now for the space ship unit translation list. Since this game only allowed a maximum of nine letters per unit name, I had to look up the names of various naval warships and translate their name equivalents into Romanian. Here's the list:

Carrier - Corvetă - Corvette: A small naval warship.
QueenShip - Navă - (Large) Ship/Vessel.
Hedgehog - Arici - Since this was a specific model name in the game, I decided to translate it literally.
AegisShip - Navetă - This can either mean "shuttle" or a smaller type of ship/vessel.
Gunship - Fregată - Frigate: A warship usually built for speed and maneuverability.
Destroyer - Cuirasat - Battleship: A very large and powerful warship that has been now replaced by aircraft carriers in most modern day navies. I noticed in the text files that the name "battleship" was actually used first then substituted for "destroyer" due to the letter limit.

I also thought of using "crucișător" (cruiser) and distrugător (destroyer), but these however didn't fit as they went past the nine letter limit. Instead, I used the more generic ship names of "navă" and "navetă" as can be seen above. Next up, I'll take on Power of the Hired as my next translation project. After that, I'm not sure what should be next. I really like Burning Heroes and still have the text inserter for it, but translating that huge script and then beta testing all eight characters seems like a quite a task to say the least.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Post subject: Re: Starship unit translations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:51 am 
Site Admin

Neato!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:54 am 

Recca wrote:
We'll keep on going strong despite what some of the alt-left liberal trolls at RHDN and other such sites might think and say about us.

Congratulations Recca for this new patch!
You have to ignore all these deep jerks who spit their venom!
Good luck with your next patches.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for your kind words, 4ph! I've just started working on translating Power of the Hired and am making some good progress so far. If I can keep up this pace, I should be able to release this translation sometime next month. By the way, how is your French translation of Burning Heroes coming along? If you need any help with the text inserter, you can ask here anytime. It's a great game, but it sure has a ton of text in it! I believe that it took us about three years to complete the English translation back in 2012.

Oh, and Happy Independence Day/4th of July!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:42 am 

Recca wrote:
By the way, how is your French translation of Burning Heroes coming along? If you need any help with the text inserter, you can ask here anytime.

For "Burning Heroes", no worries at the moment.
I'm working on several translation projects, so the progress is not as fast as I want.
Good luck with "Power of the Hired".