Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Odysselya-II Translation Progress
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:51 am 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

One thing is for certain. A fair number of players scattered around are REALLY gonna love this RPG!

Only a fair number? and scattered around? Does that have some weird quirks that some players would not like?

All games have people that don't like them no matter how good. Just like most every game can find a scattering of devoted fans no matter how bad. Games about actual history or involving actual history are especially a tough sell to many players. Sales numbers of these games (especially in the west) would definitely prove this to be true. Honestly, this is also mostly true in Japan with the exception of some select titles. The games garnered better sales there compared to overseas but most series certainly didn't set sales records. Many people play RPGs specifically for the fantasy aspect. Which means a game steeped in Earth history will have absolutely zero appeal to them. And these Odysselya games are just that, steeped in Earth history. No matter how good, these just will never appeal to this quite large subset of the RPG gaming community. So, yeah, it is quite fair to say they will have a fair number of players scattered around. As there will be plenty who won't give it more than an initial lookup because of the content of the game. But hey, you like what you like.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 am 

I guess I am more open than most as setting does not matter to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
I suppose a good example of historical fiction versus pure fantasy would be to compare two HBO miniseries produced during the previous dozen years: "Rome I and II" and "Game of Thrones I -VII".

I enjoyed Rome more than "Thrones", but Rome was cancelled after two seasons, and Thrones will last eight seasons. I prefer Rome mainly because it IS based on documented history. The majority of the general population, however (if the number of seasons is a valid measure of wider popularity), appears to prefer Thrones.

I like Odysselya-II better than Final Fantasy VI, but O-II was the second of two games, and FF is still going strongly.

So, there it is. A few people scattered here and there will be really taken by O-II. For me, it's the best story material I've ever had to work with in 20 or more RPGs. It's almost a miracle that Bongo untangled the scripting engine!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:36 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
DoubleDvideogames wrote:
I suppose a good example of historical fiction versus pure fantasy would be to compare two HBO miniseries produced during the previous dozen years: "Rome I and II" and "Game of Thrones I -VII".

I enjoyed Rome more than "Thrones", but Rome was cancelled after two seasons, and Thrones will last eight seasons. I prefer Rome mainly because it IS based on documented history. The majority of the general population, however (if the number of seasons is a valid measure of wider popularity), appears to prefer Thrones.

I like Odysselya-II better than Final Fantasy VI, but O-II was the second of two games, and FF is still going strongly.

So, there it is. A few people scattered here and there will be really taken by O-II. For me, it's the best story material I've ever had to work with in 20 or more RPGs. It's almost a miracle that Bongo untangled the scripting engine!

This is actually a very good analogy. I just want to add that the series of novels that HBO's Game of Thrones is based on, A Song of Ice and Fire, is far more interesting than the half-assed TV series. Sure, Season 1 isn't too bad, but it gradually degrades into utter nonsense. Also of note is that the events and characters of A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) are based on actual historical events and characters (mostly English history, but not entirely).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 am 
Site Admin

tobasoft wrote:
my gosh, you guys are a machine! just wanted to drop by and thank you for the amazing work you're doing. looks like my weekend is going to be full of aretha goodness.

also, I had never even heard of this odyssey game, and it looks amazing. man you guys dig deep!
Thank you for the kind words!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:52 am 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

One thing is for certain. A fair number of players scattered around are REALLY gonna love this RPG!

Only a fair number? and scattered around? Does that have some weird quirks that some players would not like?

Wildbill wrote:

because both weapons and players level up in this game. That means if you throw down a level 20 whip after several chapters and pick up a wand, your attack will be much weaker as you build levels from scratch in the new weapon and lag behind the other fighters in potency throughout the rest of the game.

It has been ages since I have played, but didn't Suikoden 1 and 2 do that? The weapons level up?
It's been ages since I played the Suikodens, but what you said rings a bell. Taskforce recommended the Suikodens way back when. He might recall.