Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shiji The Movie!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, this saga was released in 1998. Between 2 and 3 hours long, the movie is eye candy to go with our "Shiji the RPG". Altogether, the plot represents maybe two or three chapters out of 66 total we've written in the RPG, the main movie characters introduced early on are also key players in the RPG. Later, one of the three main characters in the RPG emerges as the second key player in the movie. All of this occurred around 300 B. C.

Some of the scenes in the movie are similar to those in the game. The biggest difference is that Lady Zhao in the game is the future Emperor's mother, not his wife, as depicted in the movie plot. In the RPG, Lu Buwei saved the Dowager from the slave market but later arranged a marriage for the woman with the Crown Prince of the Qin Kingdom. In the game, the Lady Zhou is also the sister of the Hero. Lady Zhao, back when she was a peasant girl, was sold into slavery by her parents during the Warring States Period, so the family would have one less mouth to feed during a famine.

Confused yet? Well, if interested thus far, you'll just need to watch the movie and play the RPG some day! At any rate, I'm jealous of the movie because the characters got war chariots, whether they existed or not! In the RPG, I didn't even get Chu Tu Ma, even though the Yan Kingdom is chocked full of thoroughbred steeds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmBKUPyQIvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfWigZMPO7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAvgaHmhOI

Post subject: Re: Shiji The Movie!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 pm 

I actually rented this movie from a Blockbuster Video many years ago. It's really good! Makes me want to play Shiji Hero Legend even more.

Edit: Is it Chu Tu Ma or Chi Tu Ma? If it is the former, Destiny of an Emperor spelled it wrong. lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
I actually rented this movie from a Blockbuster Video many years ago. It's really good! Makes me want to play Shiji Hero Legend even more.

Edit: Is it Chu Tu Ma or Chi Tu Ma? If it is the former, Destiny of an Emperor spelled it wrong. lol
Nah, you're right. It's "Chi". I guess I was thinking about lunch when I wrote "Chu"!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:31 pm 

Haha, I need to find and watch this one!

You're in luck Wildbill - like lamian, war chariots were all the rage back then!
Quote:
Chariots reached their apogee and remained a powerful weapon until the end of the Warring States Period (471-221 BCE) when increasing use of the crossbow, massed infantry, the adoption of standard cavalry units and the adaptation of nomadic cavalry (mounted archery) took over. During the Qin and Han Dynasties (221 BCE- 220 CE) the chariot was replaced by cavalry and infantry, and the single-pole chariot became less important.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Haha, I need to find and watch this one!

You're in luck Wildbill - like lamian, war chariots were all the rage back then!
Quote:
Chariots reached their apogee and remained a powerful weapon until the end of the Warring States Period (471-221 BCE) when increasing use of the crossbow, massed infantry, the adoption of standard cavalry units and the adaptation of nomadic cavalry (mounted archery) took over. During the Qin and Han Dynasties (221 BCE- 220 CE) the chariot was replaced by cavalry and infantry, and the single-pole chariot became less important.
BTW, Bongo` had to dismantle the "Chi Tu Ma-like" speed walking through towns. The hack messed up a lot of puzzle floors, causing the hero to walk off the stage into darkness and "hang", as well as be unable to find patterns through the invisible mazes. It also kept the player from reversing with the "B" button, to backtrack down stairs and return to the over-world. It even blocked off some narrow mountain tunnels, stopping all advancement toward critical items.

Those were problems I reported early-on - back when you sent me "dungeon" maps - when I didn't understand why I was having such difficulties.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:36 pm 

Oh that's right! I saw some discussion about it on one of the early bug report threads in mantis. Well, thanks for clarifying. It was fun seeing how boats were also zipping lightning fast when transporting from one boat station to the next :mrgreen:

By the way, alongside playing the latest version you sent me, I'm also compiling a list of all the hidden items (strat guide had text instructions for em, but it's 100x easier to find with pics as reference). I took the screenshots during my first beta v playthru but didn't get around putting all of it together yet. You'll love this one! There's some fantastic loot tucked away in places you'd never expect!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Oh that's right! I saw some discussion about it on one of the early bug report threads in mantis. Well, thanks for clarifying. It was fun seeing how boats were also zipping lightning fast when transporting from one boat station to the next :mrgreen:

By the way, alongside playing the latest version you sent me, I'm also compiling a list of all the hidden items (strat guide had text instructions for em, but it's 100x easier to find with pics as reference). I took the screenshots during my first beta v playthru but didn't get around putting all of it together yet. You'll love this one! There's some fantastic loot tucked away in places you'd never expect!
Sounds good.

BTW, I just re-wrote the first Mozi encounter. Do you know where the party picks up the Formula or Recipe? Is it the same time and place we pick up the Damascus Sword. It was just sort of "there" when I was motoring around Xianyang. I'm pretty sure I know what it is. Later, Zheng gets both it and the sword. Wherever I picked it up, I need to go back and re-translate and clarify in the story.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:46 am 

Not off the top of my head. I'll have to pay close attention this run. Same deal with that confusing "Sphere" quest item - no dialogue pops up telling you got it, just sorta noticing I had it later in the game.