Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I beat the game! What were your final levels?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:45 pm 

Wow.

Not an easy game.

When I first entered the final dungeon I was maybe level 34 or 35. In the end, I beat it at level 41. I just kind of got tired of grinding in the front throne room and went for the rest of the final dungeon, using stealth the entire way (what a godsend). Having to face all the bosses again got me from 40 to level 41. You?

What did you have the most trouble with in this game?

-I had trouble with Nim, personally. The game with 3 piles of beads. You play twice, first in a 1-3-5 configuration and a second time with a 3-5-7 configuration.

-The part towards the end where you need to trade a bunch of items was also tough, not knowing exactly where to go. (like trading the fishing rod for an eel, for example). But this trading was required to get one of the 5 items towards the end of the game so I could not avoid it any longer.

-Knowing what to do in the cave in the NW, near the Great Wall of China. Thanks for the help. I ...
Spoiler! :
entered when it said 2-5 so I went to the top left and entered the stairs 2nd from the top left, entered the 3rd stairway from the top left, 4th and finally 5th which opened up the dungeon.

-What I also found tough was, sometimes, simply knowing what to do next to progress the plot and game. I thought the game had, at times, weird triggers to progress the game. The first half of the game wasn't even that tough IMO other than my struggles with NIM and I flew through it maybe in a day and a half, but the 2nd half of the game really started to get cryptic and required a lot more time and dedication.

Overall another excellent translation. This was harder than 7th Saga IMO. Bosses were, shockingly, one of the easier aspects of the game! In fact, I was blown away that one strategy works on almost all bosses including the final one:
Spoiler! :
A lot of bosses you can put to sleep. Even the last boss! At level 41 I found that sleep hit most of the time, though as his HP continued to drop it seemed sleep hit at lower and lower rates. Not sure if that was just a coincidence or not. But sleep worked pretty well for most bosses including the final one. Otherwise, inferno seemed to be the go-to damage dealer and that one tank that had 900+ HP, Zhang maybe, with power cast on him, was helpful too. Inferno x2 was helpful in getting rid of most enemy groups too though attacks were sometimes, less than amazing...Be sure to have lots of mind tonics, mind elixirs and sage elixirs stocked up

I was also shocked at how generous the game was with item drops. I know a number of times i had 4 iron swords or 4 silver elixirs drop or 4 beast fangs, so ample chances to sell tons of excess dropped items.

Another super helpful tip, HP and MP are restored each level up. If timed well, you can get those just before having to face a boss as a free healing.

Post subject: Re: I beat the game! What were your final levels?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Wow.

Not an easy game.

When I first entered the final dungeon I was maybe level 34 or 35. In the end, I beat it at level 41. I just kind of got tired of grinding in the front throne room and went for the rest of the final dungeon, using stealth the entire way (what a godsend). Having to face all the bosses again got me from 40 to level 41. You?

What did you have the most trouble with in this game?

-I had trouble with Nim, personally. The game with 3 piles of beads. You play twice, first in a 1-3-5 configuration and a second time with a 3-5-7 configuration.

-The part towards the end where you need to trade a bunch of items was also tough, not knowing exactly where to go. (like trading the fishing rod for an eel, for example). But this trading was required to get one of the 5 items towards the end of the game so I could not avoid it any longer.

-Knowing what to do in the cave in the NW, near the Great Wall of China. Thanks for the help. I ...
Spoiler! :
entered when it said 2-5 so I went to the top left and entered the stairs 2nd from the top left, entered the 3rd stairway from the top left, 4th and finally 5th which opened up the dungeon.

-What I also found tough was, sometimes, simply knowing what to do next to progress the plot and game. I thought the game had, at times, weird triggers to progress the game. The first half of the game wasn't even that tough IMO other than my struggles with NIM and I flew through it maybe in a day and a half, but the 2nd half of the game really started to get cryptic and required a lot more time and dedication.

Overall another excellent translation. This was harder than 7th Saga IMO. Bosses were, shockingly, one of the easier aspects of the game! In fact, I was blown away that one strategy works on almost all bosses including the final one:
Spoiler! :
A lot of bosses you can put to sleep. Even the last boss! At level 41 I found that sleep hit most of the time, though as his HP continued to drop it seemed sleep hit at lower and lower rates. Not sure if that was just a coincidence or not. But sleep worked pretty well for most bosses including the final one. Otherwise, inferno seemed to be the go-to damage dealer and that one tank that had 900+ HP, Zhang maybe, with power cast on him, was helpful too. Inferno x2 was helpful in getting rid of most enemy groups too though attacks were sometimes, less than amazing...Be sure to have lots of mind tonics, mind elixirs and sage elixirs stocked up

I was also shocked at how generous the game was with item drops. I know a number of times i had 4 iron swords or 4 silver elixirs drop or 4 beast fangs, so ample chances to sell tons of excess dropped items.

Another super helpful tip, HP and MP are restored each level up. If timed well, you can get those just before having to face a boss as a free healing.
Thanks! I knew all along you would master this game. It’s only for the most hardcore and tenacious RPGers! Wish I could have helped more. I’ve never written a FAQ. I thought about it for this game, but if I wrote guides for these games, I’d be way behind on my patch work. It comes down to I can either write stories and translate, or I can write walksthrough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:34 pm 

Thanks for the response!

Perhaps for a game like this, the collective knowledge can help in writing a fact. A little bit of information from many people!

I almost gave up a few times, sure many others felt the same but trudged on. In the end, a very interesting story

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 am 

Not clicking those spoiler tags! I'm currently level 36 (Lin 38), so I must not have very far to go.

About those item trades, apparently there's a hint lost in translation (or was it?) about those. The last letter of each is the first letter of the next.
Quote:
「うめぼし、しいたけ、毛糸のパンツ、つりざお、おおうなぎ…」しりとりか…

The hard part will be finding the people who trade them, because I refuse to use Taxi Tickets when I can get 8119 G for each. :P

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:17 am 

Just beat the game. :D
Thanks to everyone who provided assistance, especially @Sherkel who helped me clear that crazy rubik's pattern puzzle.

This just displaced Shin Megami Tensei as the hardest SNES RPG I've ever played with its insane puzzles, unforgiving random encounter rate, and just general lack of user friendliness within the game itself.

But glad I did it. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:10 am 

umegamer wrote:
Just beat the game. :D
Thanks to everyone who provided assistance, especially @Sherkel who helped me clear that crazy rubik's pattern puzzle.

This just displaced Shin Megami Tensei as the hardest SNES RPG I've ever played with its insane puzzles, unforgiving random encounter rate, and just general lack of user friendliness within the game itself.

But glad I did it. 8-)

Congratulations! The ending--generally my least favorite part of any game--is totally worth the journey, rivaled perhaps by the unique journey itself!

I know what your final levels were. :lol:

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.