Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This game is hysterical!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm 

You all remember the red-blue-green puzzle leading up to Gold Wolf? It was easy enough to get through the first time, but man, I was not prepared for the walk back down. For at least half an hour I fiddled with those pesky colored tiles, trying to map out all the possible paths from the start point in my head but knowing I must have been missing some obvious move when they all hit dead ends. So I messed with it for longer, the main dungeon theme taking on more of a new meaning as the time went on. Suddenly, I had the idea to look at the endpoint and work out possible paths toward there. It became obvious in about a second that none existed, during which time my thumb had somehow made its way to the Y button and pressed it by accident. Lo and behold, there was the obvious move I was missing!! As hinted at by not a single line of dialogue, pressing Y brings up a dialog box asking to move back to the stairs!

I had never laughed so long and hard at a game in my life!! :lol: How on Earth did they decide this was the way for the player to progress, let alone after a boss battle and with no ability to save?

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.

Post subject: Re: This game is hysterical!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Sherkel wrote:
You all remember the red-blue-green puzzle leading up to Gold Wolf? It was easy enough to get through the first time, but man, I was not prepared for the walk back down. For at least half an hour I fiddled with those pesky colored tiles, trying to map out all the possible paths from the start point in my head but knowing I must have been missing some obvious move when they all hit dead ends. So I messed with it for longer, the main dungeon theme taking on more of a new meaning as the time went on. Suddenly, I had the idea to look at the endpoint and work out possible paths toward there. It became obvious in about a second that none existed, during which time my thumb had somehow made its way to the Y button and pressed it by accident. Lo and behold, there was the obvious move I was missing!! As hinted at by not a single line of dialogue, pressing Y brings up a dialog box asking to move back to the stairs!

I had never laughed so long and hard at a game in my life!! :lol: How on Earth did they decide this was the way for the player to progress, let alone after a boss battle and with no ability to save?
Yep, this game is puzzling. Hausen told me about that escape trick back when we were building the patch, but the team won't let me introduce any hints not already in the Japanese.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:23 am 

For me, the amount of charm makes up for it plenty. I hate being expected to think in any video game (or just in general) and still have no problem traversing this take on ancient China.
I'm actually worried about finishing it too fast! There are just a few exceptions so far:
  • The stone sliding puzzle at the first hermitage (I had to record a video of the initial movements and click through it backwards)
  • This (though it's just too funny to hate)
  • The Mengchang rescue mission and the specific two mercs to hire (is the Demon's Crest even mentioned? Is the bar?)
Aside from these I haven't found anything truly annoying...yet? Issues like strong enemies appearing out of nowhere are taken care of by having one savestate, and anyone playing this on a real SNES will be shown what they're getting into pretty quickly.

Once again, great work, all of you; I have no doubt a heartfelt translation is playing a big part in the experience. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Sherkel wrote:
For me, the amount of charm makes up for it plenty. I hate being expected to think in any video game (or just in general) and still have no problem traversing this take on ancient China.
I'm actually worried about finishing it too fast! There are just a few exceptions so far:
  • The stone sliding puzzle at the first hermitage (I had to record a video of the initial movements and click through it backwards)
  • This (though it's just too funny to hate)
  • The Mengchang rescue mission and the specific two mercs to hire (is the Demon's Crest even mentioned? Is the bar?)
Aside from these I haven't found anything truly annoying...yet? Issues like strong enemies appearing out of nowhere are taken care of by having one savestate, and anyone playing this on a real SNES will be shown what they're getting into pretty quickly.

Once again, great work, all of you; I have no doubt a heartfelt translation is playing a big part in the experience. :D
With your permission, Sherkel, I would like to post some links to your video where you solve the first three puzzles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:32 am 

Oh dear, three months late, my apologies...

You can absolutely share anything I've posted or uploaded publicly. For me it's always with an implicit license for anyone to do anything with it, because most would not ask!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:51 am 

Sherkel wrote:
Oh dear, three months late, my apologies...

You can absolutely share anything I've posted or uploaded publicly. For me it's always with an implicit license for anyone to do anything with it, because most would not ask!

I take it the potential recipient isn't interested in the game anymore? Since it's been so long... :(