Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fonts Used in Galaxy Robo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I could have just fired up an e-mail to Bongo` to discuss this topic, but I figured I'd put it here in the open for all to see so that everyone could have some insight into a gripe a few people have had with the game.

If you hadn't noticed, Galaxy Robo uses a few different fonts - three I think. There is the main dialogue font (seen mostly when people talk), the font used for menus, and the font used for the command buttons and character info on the battle screen. Everyone seems to be fine with the third font mentioned, but some have been critical of the first two, especially since they can both appear on-screen at the same time (when looking up mecha information). The dialogue font is a VWF while the menu font is not.

So, Bongo`, although I have absolutely no problem with the two fonts at all, could you fill us in as to why we went with two different ones for menus and dialogue? Do you think this is something we should change for the next patch?

Also, for anyone else reading this, please feel free to add your opinions (preferably after Bongo`'s response).

Edit: Just to add (and this is by no way an excuse), but the original Japanese game also used two different fonts in the same location ;)

Edit: I also think another issue is that the font used in menus for Attack, Hit, Defense, and Agility are not consistent. For example, look at the "t" in "Hit" and in "Attack". You can also see a difference in the "i" in "Hit" and the "i" in "Fatis". I think this is probably something that we should fix. Never mind... I think that weird issue was just something being caused by filters...

Post subject: Re: Fonts Used in Galaxy Robo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

What I've read people are displeased about has nothing to do with a letter here or there being inconsistent, it has to do with the fact that one font is thick and the other font is thin. That is just not a combination that looks good together on screen.

I've never liked thin fonts to begin with on these games for many reasons. Most of us own hi-def TV's these days, but for the few still playing SNES on an old SD style Tube TV in a real SNES, those thin fonts can be a VERY and I mean VERY bad idea. Especially when the font is white. Sadly, this is not just a problem with this game, but most translation groups these days want to use those thin fonts because they look nicer on their PC monitor never stopping to think how they look on equipment as they were intended. This has also happened in commercial projects before, although the one major instance I can think of off the top of my head was PS3. Try playing Ar Tonelico Qoga on an SD TV. It is absolutely impossible to do so. Oh well, enough with the rant, I'll get back on track.

Yes, we should probably alter the fonts so that they resemble each other at least in general style. Having differences between them isn't that much of an issue as long as those differences don't slap you in the face (jarring to the point of being distracting). Although, I can think of professionally translated games that did the same thing, but if a few (not just one or two) people are complaining, then it should probably be addressed as it is likely causing readability issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I think this is a classic case of debating the color of the bike shed. I won't argue that Gemini's mock up on RHDN doesn't look better. However, I believe fonts are something that are easy to have an opinion on, but not of the highest importance in the scope of a translation project. I was and still am fine with the (current) finished product.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:04 am 
Site Admin

The fonts used weren't actually suppose to be the final fonts. Especially the Main font. I believe
filler and I were discussing fonts when he first brought the game to my ( our??) attention as a
project he would like done. The 8x8 font was just a font I had laying around. It's used in another
game we are doing, if I'm not mistaken. I tend to lean towards bolder fonts ever since
TF schooled me on why we shouldn't use thin fonts. So yes, It is my fault that I never got
around to it but no one really said much about it. :( I say we can change the fonts but we must
find a 8x16 and 8x8 matching set to keep these angry crowds at bay. As for the Sprite
commands, the "Hit" text, etc. All that stuff is "squishy" tiles in sprite form. Meaning, not
expansion because this game uses soo many of the sprites. If you all haven't noticed, the
game will leave some command menu tiles off so the sprite buffer doesn't fault. Other menu text
are just squishy tiles with little to no Video RAM / screen space.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for adding some insight into the fonts, Bongo`. I can say that changing the VWF font would require a total edit job of the script, so it's here to stay, but if someone out there has a recommendation of an 8x8 font that would better compliment what's already in place, then I'm totally open to making changes if it makes the game that much more enjoyable for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
The fonts used weren't actually suppose to be the final fonts. Especially the Main font. I believe
filler and I were discussing fonts when he first brought the game to my ( our??) attention as a
project he would like done. The 8x8 font was just a font I had laying around. It's used in another
game we are doing, if I'm not mistaken. I tend to lean towards bolder fonts ever since
TF schooled me on why we shouldn't use thin fonts. So yes, It is my fault that I never got
around to it but no one really said much about it. :( I say we can change the fonts but we must
find a 8x16 and 8x8 matching set to keep these angry crowds at bay. As for the Sprite
commands, the "Hit" text, etc. All that stuff is "squishy" tiles in sprite form. Meaning, not
expansion because this game uses soo many of the sprites. If you all haven't noticed, the
game will leave some command menu tiles off so the sprite buffer doesn't fault. Other menu text
are just squishy tiles with little to no Video RAM / screen space.

I don't even think that they necessarily have to be a matching set Bongo`. Just a set that somewhat resembles each other. In fact, I don't think it hurts if a game has a fresh somewhat (what I'd call) goofy font for the dialogue with a more subdued font for menu workings. But at least consistency between thick and thin is a good starting point. it is much less apt to rustle those feathers.

If everyone likes Galaxy Robo as is. By all means, leave it alone. In the end, that is up to Draken and filler to figure out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

As I said on another board, I never noticed anything about the fonts in GR at all. Their overall characteristics were completely "invisible" to me, as I stated. I guess this means either they worked for me, or I else I just ignore those sorts of side details that have nothing to do with the story or game play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Working on the fonts.

Attachments:
grobo_00000.png
grobo_00000.png [ 4.2 KiB | Viewed 16908 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Working on the fonts.

... I picked out that font for the intro.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
taskforce wrote:
Working on the fonts.

... I picked out that font for the intro.

Would you rather everything resemble the intro font then?