Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Post subject: Re: A La Wares Post Here (for now)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:19 am 

Reading through this thread only leaves me more confused on how to best translate the subtitle and which I would recommend just La Wares because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:30 am 

Garrett wrote:
Reading through this thread only leaves me more confused on how to best translate the subtitle and which I would recommend just La Wares because of it.

I agree with this. I did the translation for La Wares, and the title doesn't have an easily-translatable meaning.

La refers to a time period (and possibly a kingdom) in the game, and is connected to the eight legendary Golems. The meaning of Wares is even harder to pin down. :/

I think it's already been mentioned in this thread, but the game takes place in the same universe as Wares Blade (a tabletop RPG) and Wares 1092 (a light novel). The game seems to have more in common with Wares 1092, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:30 am 

filler wrote:
To add my two cents, after a bit of digging it looks like there is a precedent in Yu-Gi-Oh! for 聖刻 to be translated as "Hieratic" or "Hieroglyphic". This thread on GameFAQs talks about it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000398- ... h/61701515

I was able to confirm on Japanese wikipedia that the entry for "hieroglyph" can be spelled with the kanji "聖刻文字" (the second part means "words") http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%92% ... A%E3%83%95 and it is used for particular kinds of hieroglyphs like Cretan hieroglyphs (クレタ聖刻文字) : http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF% ... 7%E5%AD%97

Nice. The hiero- root means divine as well.

Does anyone know the etymology and use of the phrase "聖刻文字"? It looks more like a modern phrase so in the case of クレタ聖刻文字 "hiero-" could be translated into Japanese with the cultural/historical context that we have now - divine and ancient.

Eien Ni Hen wrote:
I agree with this. I did the translation for La Wares, and the title doesn't have an easily-translatable meaning.

La refers to a time period (and possibly a kingdom) in the game, and is connected to the eight legendary Golems. The meaning of Wares is even harder to pin down. :/

I think it's already been mentioned in this thread, but the game takes place in the same universe as Wares Blade (a tabletop RPG) and Wares 1092 (a light novel). The game seems to have more in common with Wares 1092, though.

Argh... Old French habits die hard.

But, yeah, isn't the main continent called La Amon or something? I guess La has some specific historical/cultural context within the game universe.

Was the game text explanatory about the Wares-specific terminology enough in the game text to avoid explaining the title meaning in the title itself, Eien Ni Hen?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Reading through this thread just made me think of something. Check out how the name is presented on the Wikipedia page: 『真・聖刻』(ラ・ワース)は、スーパーファミコン用ゲームソフト。. I think "La" is a pronunciation of "真", the same way that "ワース" is a pronunciation of "聖刻".

I don't know that there is any precedent for "真" to be pronounced "La", but it is a fantasy series and they may be taking liberties in simply making up stuff about the lore. Kind of like Light Yagami in Death Note, they choose to pronounce 月 as "Light" in the context of his name.

So yeah, just "La Wares" is probably best.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:05 pm 

gerb wrote:
But, yeah, isn't the main continent called La Amon or something? I guess La has some specific historical/cultural context within the game universe.

Was the game text explanatory about the Wares-specific terminology enough in the game text to avoid explaining the title meaning in the title itself, Eien Ni Hen?

The main continent is called Ahern (アハーン). It's not covered very much in the game, but I think La is the age (and maybe kingdom) the legendary Golems (giant robots) came from.

Unfortunately, the game does not explain Wares-specific terminology at all. The script is very "dense" in that it assumes the player has previous knowledge of the Wares universe. From what I can tell, though, the term Wares refers to some sort of mystical power associated with Golems.

Like filler said, I think the creator(s) of the game just made stuff up. It is a fantasy setting, after all. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:27 am 
Site Admin

This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen. We started a similar discussion once on the compound name of Burning Heroes. The portion we cut from the title page translated as "Hot-blooded Planet" or something similar. After finishing the write, this made perfect sense. BH featured a meter that gauged progression toward a super powerful attack only the eight heroes could execute.

Each time a hero got struck physically, his or her temper flared, and the meter reading jumped up a notch. When it maxed, the special attack was "loaded".

Maybe the pilots, wardens, or practitioners in La Wares are similar to the Burning Heroes, in that only they are the true operators of the giants in a crucial time of an inevitable holy war. Meanwhile, the forces of evil will seek to exploit the pilots and giants, leading to an ongoing conflict and a final confrontation.

If the compound title in La Wares relates to something that gameplay will clarify, then its inclusion is superfluous. If any possible translation adds to the vagueness, it seems that "La Wares" by itself is already mysterious enough.

Unless someone presents a compelling alternative, it appears we'll go with simply "La Wares".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

It was "Nekketsu Tairiku Burning Heroes", which we were going to translate as "Hot-Blooded Continent Burning Heroes", but later just kept it as "Burning Heroes". It ended up sounding better in English simply as "Burning Heroes", without the "Hot-Blooded Continent" part as we agreed. And the same will probably also be true of "La Wares" in my opinion. So I guess we could just go with that and be fine.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
It was "Nekketsu Tairiku Burning Heroes", which we were going to translate as "Hot-Blooded Continent Burning Heroes", but later just kept it as "Burning Heroes". It ended up sounding better in English simply as "Burning Heroes", without the "Hot-Blooded Continent" part as we agreed. And the same will probably also be true of "La Wares" in my opinion. So I guess we could just go with that and be fine.
Having said that, Recca, if Bongo`, Draken, and Taskforce agree, would you be interested in acting as the coordinator on this project? This means I would send you the insertion engine and all of my work so far (which is just the Intro). You could proceed through the game, format the English text, and send bug reports to Bongo` directly (if he agrees). Once you're done and have beaten the game and seen the ending credits, I would process the game further, same as I'm doing with Minerva right now (and fixing to do with G. R.), and we would get this thing moving toward the finish line. I know you would handle this task well. Let us know if you want to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:45 am 
Site Admin

I suppose I could try, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely certain that I would be the best person to lead such a project. Not that I'm not interested, but rather that I think other members such as you, Draken, Filler, Taskforce or Red Soul would excel more than I. This is a game that I know little about and my leadership skills may not be the best. I might be better left as a "last resort" coordinator.

I'll gladly help out as part of the production/beta testing team if I'm needed or maybe even with some misc translations if need be (though I think that part is already covered as my Japanese grammatical skills are still limited). In any case, I don't want to impose or halt the translation effort with sloppy work. Just let me know if any help is needed and I'll try my best to help out however I can.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I suppose I could try, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely certain that I would be the best person to lead such a project. Not that I'm not interested, but rather that I think other members such as you, Draken, Filler, Taskforce or Red Soul would excel more than I. This is a game that I know little about and my leadership skills may not be the best. I might be better left as a "last resort" coordinator.

I'll gladly help out as part of the production/beta testing team if I'm needed or maybe even with some misc translations if need be (though I think that part is already covered as my Japanese grammatical skills are still limited). In any case, I don't want to impose or halt the translation effort with sloppy work. Just let me know if any help is needed and I'll try my best to help out however I can.
I could say something witty such as "not learning to swim without jumping in the water", but how about this? Would you be willing to format the English script right away at your convenience day-to-day and week-to-week with whatever spare time you have available with no rush or deadline to worry about?

In this case, the literary work doesn't need to be polished, and formatting text (making the dialogue fit the box neatly) serves the dual purpose of identifying glitches in the hack, most of which Bongo` can fix in minutes. Also, Eien's work is already written at a high level, and as always, colorfully articulated and crystal clear. You may also name the monsters and such logically, as you encounter them, but the tricky items, monsters, weapons, and so on may easily be refined later. Part of the fun of this is the many discoveries you will make that unlock the secrets of the game. In the end, you receive the bonus reward of becoming the first person in the world to beat this game in English!

Thus, your role becomes script formatter. I remain the coordinator, but later - if you wish - you may "co-coordinate" with me. Would you feel more comfortable with this arrangement, and more importantly, do you have the time?

I am flying today and will not reach my destination until after midnight. So, think it over a day or two. I will respond as soon as I'm settled in where I'm going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next