Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with an NPC's name...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Admin

I'm not going to bother with any spoiler tags here as I feel that this doesn't really give away anything related to the story, but turn back now if you are trying to remain as "pure" as possible before the release ;)

This game uses TONS of puns, jokes, and references to people and old games that have required me to do a lot of research while writing/editing the story. Usually, I'm able to track down the source/usage, but I'm having a bit of trouble with one character's name. There is a Russian man in the game who goes by the nickname Vanya... It was easy enough to track down the origin (quick google search brings up "Uncle Vanya" a play by Chekov), but his real name in the game is "ワレンコフ", which I've seen written as Varencov, Varencof, Valenkov, Warenkov, etc... Just about every single NPC in the game has a name that I can track down to a particular source, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a famous person going by the name ワレンコフ.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need help with an NPC's name...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

After hours and hours of more research, I'm starting to think that I'll never know exactly who the developers had in mind when naming this NPC. I did, however, find a few more probable matches when I stumbled upon another romanization of the name, which is "Voronkov". I learned about some very learned people who share this family name, such as Andrei and Mikhail Voronkov, so I'm starting to think that I'll lean towards that romanization of the name for the game. It's not totally closed to discussion, however, so please join the (albeit lonely) discussion if you know anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
After hours and hours of more research, I'm starting to think that I'll never know exactly who the developers had in mind when naming this NPC. I did, however, find a few more probable matches when I stumbled upon another romanization of the name, which is "Voronkov". I learned about some very learned people who share this family name, such as Andrei and Mikhail Voronkov, so I'm starting to think that I'll lean towards that romanization of the name for the game. It's not totally closed to discussion, however, so please join the (albeit lonely) discussion if you know anything else.
Well, these things can take time. I got the slightest hint of the Romaji name being tied to animation. Now, I getting hits that the Voronkov spelling may have some association. He could be a animator of popular anime in Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I stumbled upon a character named Michael Warencof from the animation Tytania... But, sadly, the animation was created sometime after the game was released, so I had to scratch that lead off of my list ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:18 am 
Site Admin

I was researching this name to and came across this thread, lol! I take it we're going with Voronkov for now?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:11 am 
Site Admin

I still have it in the scripts as "Varenkof", but will probably make the adjustment later ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Okay. I'll use "Varenkof" to make search and replace easier. :)

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 am 
Site Admin

On a related note, have a name that needs to be cut :((

The character is ダン・キチ (Now using Dan Kichi), but I've just been told that the max allotment is 8 letters/spaces, so one has to go...

I have options like "Dankichi", Dan Kich"... Just wondering if anyone else has any input.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:42 am 
Site Admin

Knowing how this game loves to reference history and pop culture, I did a little more digging on ダン・キチ (Dan Kichi). I'm quite certain it's a nod to a character named Hama Dankichi from the manga "Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting and Fighting Spirit". In the series, Hama Dankichi is a boxer trainer, which would correlate to the character in G.O.D. who runs a gym (but trains you to use your sword).

It would make more sense to easily change the name to "Dankichi", but I'm still open to hearing suggestions if you've got any good ones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 am 
Site Admin

I was going to recommend Dankichi anyway.

My projects
RHDN Community DB