Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A little idea I've had for testing this game
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm 

lol, that's pretty much how I play RPGs anyway. I have a very large folder containing screen shots of mostly textual errors and bad grammar from most of the games I've played. I just don't usually get the chance to report the errors or to discuss them. (Sadly, I think most of the screen shots come from "professionally" translated games.) I enjoyed helping out on SSMS-I; though by the time I showed up, there wasn't all that much left to report, I think.

As I now have a proper understanding of what it means to beta test, I formally offer my services. ::bows::

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
lol, that's pretty much how I play RPGs anyway. I have a very large folder containing screen shots of mostly textual errors and bad grammar from most of the games I've played. I just don't usually get the chance to report the errors or to discuss them. (Sadly, I think most of the screen shots come from "professionally" translated games.) I enjoyed helping out on SSMS-I; though by the time I showed up, there wasn't all that much left to report, I think.

As I now have a proper understanding of what it means to beta test, I formally offer my services. ::bows::
These are formally accepted, my friend! Thanks for the kind words over at our YouTube channel, page, or whatever they call that "thang"!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 pm 

Ah, yes, Shiki Eiyuuden ka? I shall have to try that one when the time comes. It's amazing that there are still so many great RPGs that remain untranslated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Ah, yes, Shiki Eiyuuden ka? I shall have to try that one when the time comes. It's amazing that there are still so many great RPGs that remain untranslated.
Yep, and Shiji will almost literally come out of nowhere. It's not only a very tough and complex RPG, it's the first one I've encountered that follows very closely to the ancient history of anywhere. The script is chocked full of factual events, people, and legends. The one depicted in the graphic below originated when the Japanese were still hunters/gatherers during their prehistoric times. Later, the Japanese adapted the "carp's" journey up the Yellow River to their own folklore that became centered around the koi fish. I renamed it "carp" in Shiji, since that's what the Chinese called their mystical fish, and this story does take place in China, not Japan (but it was written by Japanese authors).

Because I am so short of bytes in this game, I can't share the full richness of these fables, wisdom of the Taoist philosophers, history, and military strategies that emerged during the Warring States Period. I just have to skim over them lightly, "Wham, bam, this what happened man - move on!" But you can search on Dragon Gate, Yellow River, torrent, carp, and warring states. Eventually, you'll find the whole story - both China's and Japan's versions. I won't spoil the whole fable here, but during certain festivals, people in Asia today display Carp Streamers. For some boys, this legend becomes a metaphor for a rite of passage to manhood.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 am 

I feel your "writer's pain" of being limited by data constraints. It sounds like Shiji is one hell of a game. As one who has a deep interest in history, I can certainly appreciate historical accuracy. I'm looking forward to it even more now!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am 

I'll echo WildBill's sentiments, it's a pretty interesting game and I fell in love with it too! It has its share of gameplay issues - unbalanced combat and annoying dungeon designs - I take it you upped the very slow walk speed in your patch? But the story shines and it's very captivating to play, especially once you get deep into it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
I feel your "writer's pain" of being limited by data constraints. It sounds like Shiji is one hell of a game. As one who has a deep interest in history, I can certainly appreciate historical accuracy. I'm looking forward to it even more now!
Edit: Oh, sorry... I should have put this under hausen's post!

Help, hausen! Just gave bones to King Zi in Ji and am translating/writing the boat landing south of the almost deserted village with the old man. Still in Yan, but when I clear the pier, I will have a V0.30 beta and land back in Luoyang where Lu Buwei has summoned me. I'm having problems with the conversation coming up with Buwei.

Spoiler! :
It involves a sister sold into slavery, a crown princess, and possibly a queen. Then, I believe the fighters go off to save Mengchang in Qi. Does this sound right? What's going on with the sister? I need to get this scene right. Later, a man making chicken sounds comes into play. Is that the thief I met previously in a storeroom and can now hire in the Luoyang bar? What another translator did before me with a little spot work through here is very vague, and my preliminary translation isn't much more clear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:21 pm 

I made a new thread about SHL story stuff on its own board, not to clutter this thread further :mrgreen: