Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd Pass of SSMS-II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

I have just completed a re-write of the long Introduction.

SSMS-II is unique in several ways. One is that I gained full control of a few characters in the middle of that Intro. I even enjoyed a few battles and encountered my first dungeon save point. As I mentioned previously, while proceeding, I placed the existing script in a column next to Gerb's translation and compared each string. My earlier estimates seemed consistent. My original reading was within about 95% of Gerb's, but that 5% proved to be crucial. Gerb clarified several nuances in the game that were fuzzy to me until I began this second pass. Merging his work with mine resulted in what I consider a major rewrite of some strings.

This means my second pass will take some time, much longer than a usual second pass. One mystery Gerb's work solved is why the world maps in SSMS-I and II are totally different. The answer is a mystery even to many Shelldoradans and fits plausibly within typical devises of the fantasy saga genre. This game is a direct sequel to SSMS-I yet also contains unexpected twists. Introducing a totally new world map makes SSMS-II seem fresher than, say, recycling the SSMS-I game map with major changes explained by some recent cataclysm, etc., or left unexplained. Sometime in the future, those who gain access to our translation patch may look forward to learning all there is to know about "the world beyond the fog" of Shell Beast Island!

Below are some notes I wrote in the block file that contains the introduction. For the curious, this explains why the world maps in SSMS-I and II are different:

Spoiler! :
;This is the end of the Introduction Chapter.
;The beginning of Chapter 1 (Princess Rumiella)
;follows, when the hero gets transported from
;his home planet but misses the mark at the
;alter on Shell Beast Island, instead
;materializing in a deep woods somewhere
;on Shelldorado but in a land "beyond the fog"
;that is yet to be identified.
;
;In SSMS-I, Shell Beast Island lies in the
;southeastern sea, surrounded by a different
;"world" or realm that also comprises what
;will turn out to be just a portion of the
;overall land masses that people call
;Shelldorado.
;
;In SSMS-II, the "world" or realm of Shelldorado
;"beyond the fog" is totally different, with
;Shell Beast Island and the entire realm of
;SSMS-I off the map and unreachable in this game.

For SylarDean: I am about to land in the woods of the Rumiella Chapter (#1). In maybe a week I will reach the point you stopped playing two years ago. Then, I will look at your errata file and fix what is still relevant. Once I do that I will send you an updated V 0.99. Bear with me. My full family responsibilities returned a week ago, for a while, but I will make steady progress with this translation. By June, at the latest, we should be able to enter full testing. We'll shoot for having it finished no later than one year from now.

Post subject: Re: 2nd Pass of SSMS-II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
I have just completed a re-write of the long Introduction.

SSMS-II is unique in several ways. One is that I gained full control of a few characters in the middle of that Intro. I even enjoyed a few battles and encountered my first dungeon save point. As I mentioned previously, while proceeding, I placed the existing script in a column next to Gerb's translation and compared each string. My earlier estimates seemed consistent. My original reading was within about 95% of Gerb's, but that 5% proved to be crucial. Gerb clarified several nuances in the game that were fuzzy to me until I began this second pass. Merging his work with mine resulted in what I consider a major rewrite of some strings.

This means my second pass will take some time, much longer than a usual second pass. One mystery Gerb's work solved is why the world maps in SSMS-I and II are totally different. The answer is a mystery even to many Shelldoradans and fits plausibly within typical devises of the fantasy saga genre. This game is a direct sequel to SSMS-I yet also contains unexpected twists. Introducing a totally new world map makes SSMS-II seem fresher than, say, recycling the SSMS-I game map with major changes explained by some recent cataclysm, etc., or left unexplained. Sometime in the future, those who gain access to our translation patch may look forward to learning all there is to know about "the world beyond the fog" of Shell Beast Island!

Below are some notes I wrote in the block file that contains the introduction. For the curious, this explains why the world maps in SSMS-I and II are different:

Spoiler! :
;This is the end of the Introduction Chapter.
;The beginning of Chapter 1 (Princess Rumiella)
;follows, when the hero gets transported from
;his home planet but misses the mark at the
;alter on Shell Beast Island, instead
;materializing in a deep woods somewhere
;on Shelldorado but in a land "beyond the fog"
;that is yet to be identified.
;
;In SSMS-I, Shell Beast Island lies in the
;southeastern sea, surrounded by a different
;"world" or realm that also comprises what
;will turn out to be just a portion of the
;overall land masses that people call
;Shelldorado.
;
;In SSMS-II, the "world" or realm of Shelldorado
;"beyond the fog" is totally different, with
;Shell Beast Island and the entire realm of
;SSMS-I off the map and unreachable in this game.

For SylarDean: I am about to land in the woods of the Rumiella Chapter (#1). In maybe a week I will reach the point you stopped playing two years ago. Then, I will look at your errata file and fix what is still relevant. Once I do that I will send you an updated V 0.99. Bear with me. My full family responsibilities returned a week ago, for a while, but I will make steady progress with this translation. By June, at the latest, we should be able to enter full testing. We'll shoot for having it finished no later than one year from now.

@Wildbill That's great, i need to still finish off the last few bosses of Princess Minerva, this past 2 weeks I have been logged with assignments so haven't been able to get and finish that, i'm in college now monday, tuesday and wednesday then we break up for xmas so will certainly get it done very soon, as i'm aware there are no more assignments til after xmas so i have an easy holiday break with not much to worry about.. OTHER than getting PM sanctuary finished off, then on to your SSMS-II stuff :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean, I have just completed a major re-write through Chapter 9 (Galahar town, Jocque's Circus, and the Iron Scorpion). This is 37.5% of the game, by numbers, but some segments are much longer than others. The re-write merging Gerb's total translation is going well but as I predicted much more time-consuming than a simple pass polish. Looking ahead, I hope to have this total "merge re-write" finished by March 1.

At that time, I will try to get Aretha-I ready for beta testing before summer, while you take all the time you need to go through SSMS-II with a fine-toothed comb. I will start sending Bongo` Mantis bug-fix requests for SSMS-II right away. If you want to start shooting ahead with SSMS-II, I can update you any time.

La Wares is about to go to Taskforce, hopefully today. When he's done, do you want to be part of the beta tester's team for LW?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:29 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
SylarDean, I have just completed a major re-write through Chapter 9 (Galahar town, Jocque's Circus, and the Iron Scorpion). This is 37.5% of the game, by numbers, but some segments are much longer than others. The re-write merging Gerb's total translation is going well but as I predicted much more time-consuming than a simple pass polish. Looking ahead, I hope to have this total "merge re-write" finished by March 1.

At that time, I will try to get Aretha-I ready for beta testing before summer, while you take all the time you need to go through SSMS-II with a fine-toothed comb. I will start sending Bongo` Mantis bug-fix requests for SSMS-II right away. If you want to start shooting ahead with SSMS-II, I can update you any time.

La Wares is about to go to Taskforce, hopefully today. When he's done, do you want to be part of the beta tester's team for LW?

I can be if you wish, though keeping in mind I am now back in college so it would only be testing for a couple of hours a night after college, and then fri, sat and sundays i can play longer hours.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 pm 

SylarDean wrote:
I can be if you wish, though keeping in mind I am now back in college so it would only be testing for a couple of hours a night after college, and then fri, sat and sundays i can play longer hours.

Don't worry, this one isn't really too long. A couple of hours on 2-3 nights may actually be enough to get it done if you put your backbone into it (or rather, your controller of choice). Still, should be fun to test. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am 

When is the v1.00 patch released?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

There is no set release date, and it’s dificult to predict as this is a hobby and not our jobs. That said, though, it’s very possible the game could be released at the end of this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 am 

Draken wrote:
There is no set release date, and it’s dificult to predict as this is a hobby and not our jobs. That said, though, it’s very possible the game could be released at the end of this year.

Why is it possible to be release at the end of the year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 am 
Site Admin

The project is still being worked on at the moment, but there are other projects ahead of it which are more polished and thus closer to being released. Our attention is focused more on those projects that are closer to being done, so this takes some of our focus away from SSMS-2.

If all our efforts and attentions remain focused this year, then it's possible the game could be finished by December. This assumption, however, does not account for family emergencies, work conflicts, etc., so it's always possible that the game could slip to next year.

The main point is, in this hobby, it's VERY difficult to tell someone when a project will be finished because even we don't know for certain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 am 

Perpetuum381 wrote:
Draken wrote:

Why is it possible to be release at the end of the year?

Cool it man, show some respect. These fine gentlemen are doing this as a hobby, out of love (aka not for money). Please show more tact and do not be so rude.

Keep up the good work fellas!