Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Would you guys mind....?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:34 am 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
SylarDean wrote:
taskforce wrote:
I've heard from Wildbill. He's OK but been really busy. He is having trouble finding the latest rom (Not sure which computer he had it on) but he will recreate it by adding the latest handful of fixes and send it along for you as soon as he can.

Awesome, glad everything is okay with WB.

Thanks again.
Yep, I'm still kickin', SylarDean. We released it within about two days of me finding my lost work.

Nice to see you pop back WB. Umm...? that's an earlier version..? I have an old version you sent me via email like over a year ago, and it's... v0.99 it has all the .txt documents in there of the entire script, also all YOUR work of where chests and stuff is located.
That one I gave you was beta V0.99. The release is Alpha V0.90. it incorporates the final beta-testing inputs, as well as Recca's suggestions after he played the game twice. Sorry about the confusion, SylarDean.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:10 am 
Site Admin

Never pay attention to our internal numbering schemes as compared to our final public release numbering schemes. We don't really try to keep them in sync. We just use internal numbering schemes that let us know where we think we stand but those aren't what get used for release. If we deem the project complete, we use v1.00 or v0.99 depending how we feel about the release at that time. Sometimes maybe we should always use 0.99 but we don't. If we feel there is work left to be done like with Aretha II and SSMS-II that we didn't and may never get finished. We tend to stick to v0.90 as a starting bases. This way we have room to grow in number without releasing a v1.00 that is still not complete. Taloon wound up v0.99 when it wasn't complete because things happened and someone else released it. If we had released it internally, it probably would have been at 0.90. I won't go into further details on that as I don't think there are any hard feelings and I want to keep it that way.

Anyway, the point I was getting at is rest assured this is the latest work and not an earlier version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:08 am 

Pete wrote:
Some maybe there is an even better version of the game already out there! :roll:

If you are referring to my v0.99 version.. i've had it for over a year or so (could be closer to 2 years maybe??), and have never released it to anyone, I promised WB I wouldnt share it and didnt, i'm a man of my word.
No doubt though the version released by D-D is now better than my version as they've probably gone through it with a comb.. but it certainly was .zipped and titled as v0.99.

I originally had it sent to me for the beta testing phase of it as I was part of that team, as I was testing it I was also building the game's sanctuary page on my old website. I believe I sent WB a huge .zip file with loads
of screenshot errors, text errors, etc over a year ago when it was all good and the project was still going strong. Unfortunately I cant get that SSMS II sanctuary page finished because Weebly (that assholes) decided to
take away my editing rights and button and wouldn't give me a straight answer as to why they did it, and i'm STILL super angry about that, I never miss an opportunity to rip into them whenever I see someone post a
complaint on their Facebook page now.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:11 am 

taskforce wrote:
Anyway, the point I was getting at is rest assured this is the latest work and not an earlier version.

Yup I gathered as much, I was just confused about the number system.. lol! Well, congrats on finally getting it out the door to us SSMS fans. :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:27 am 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Pete wrote:
Some maybe there is an even better version of the game already out there! :roll:

If you are referring to my v0.99 version.. i've had it for over a year or so (could be closer to 2 years maybe??), and have never released it to anyone, I promised WB I wouldnt share it and didnt, i'm a man of my word.
No doubt though the version released by D-D is now better than my version as they've probably gone through it with a comb.. but it certainly was .zipped and titled as v0.99.

I originally had it sent to me for the beta testing phase of it as I was part of that team, as I was testing it I was also building the game's sanctuary page on my old website. I believe I sent WB a huge .zip file with loads
of screenshot errors, text errors, etc over a year ago when it was all good and the project was still going strong. Unfortunately I cant get that SSMS II sanctuary page finished because Weebly (that assholes) decided to
take away my editing rights and button and wouldn't give me a straight answer as to why they did it, and i'm STILL super angry about that, I never miss an opportunity to rip into them whenever I see someone post a
complaint on their Facebook page now.
I used your error report to refine the game while Gerb translated the remainder of the script. By the time I got rolling again, you were on a different game and said you didn’t have time to devote continued effort to SSMS-II at that moment.

As for Weebly, maybe you uploaded a quantity of graphics and such that exceeded their limits. Regrettable they won’t let you finish your builds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 pm 

I hadn't moved on to another project, I just gave up gaming all together for about 3 months, Weebly really pushed me to my limit, lol!

Wildbill wrote:
SylarDean wrote:
Pete wrote:
As for Weebly, maybe you uploaded a quantity of graphics and such that exceeded their limits. Regrettable they won’t let you finish your builds.

I contacted them via email and even live chatted with a person, they just couldnt plain outright tell me what the problem/issue was and wouldn't let me correct it after saying I was willing to do that.

But, what ever. its done and gone, it gave me a chance to work more on my YT channel.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:48 am 

Congratulations on this release! I'm so glad this project has taken flight, now finally the whole Shell Monsters saga is in English! (apart from the gameboy spin-offs that don't look very interesting) Also glad to hear from you again, Wildbill. Hope everything's ok.

Apparently this year has been good for the snes as well. Since that initial scare about Tom and DDS leaving the scene, they came back in the end, released the remaining snes Goemon games and started translating the Super Chinese World ones. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
Congratulations on this release! I'm so glad this project has taken flight, now finally the whole Shell Monsters saga is in English! (apart from the gameboy spin-offs that don't look very interesting) Also glad to hear from you again, Wildbill. Hope everything's ok.

Apparently this year has been good for the snes as well. Since that initial scare about Tom and DDS leaving the scene, they came back in the end, released the remaining snes Goemon games and started translating the Super Chinese World ones. :D
Yep, you good friends convinced me to release. I went through a major move this whole year and was prepping that place to sell all of 2019. I'm still sorting through lots of clutter. It's endless!

As for other people in the translation hobby who have attracted a handful of swarming crazies who create the cacophony of thousands, I'm pleased to hear they decided not to react. That squeaky wheel is best amputated, not lubricated. It's funny, but if I decided to build model ships instead of writing stories, and I painted patriotic symbols on their hulls, these efforts wouldn't induce far-flung enemies to come boiling out of the woodwork. The funniest part of most detractors is they don't know the difference between writers and editors. The latter is a failed writer, oftentimes, who works with writers and proofreaders to produce finished commercial content. Throw "translator" into the mix, and you have a complex process that in this hobby oftentimes ends up a product of multitasking by just two or three people with three or four more backstopping the whole works.

In history, book-burnings were a popular means of censorship. Nowadays, with digital content floating through the ether, a writer's work is potentially backed-up in millions of devices! Heh, not a bonfire, wailing banshee, or even an air burst by a powerful nuclear device can wipe it totally. As I always say, I'll repeat. If you don't like my stories, go somewhere else and read whatever suits you.

Anyway, do you have time to play through another game in the next month or so?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:09 pm 

akualung wrote:

They aren't gone. They keep updating their twitter accounts regularly and it seems they are still working on Traverse which is one of the games I really hope will get a translation in the end. When Tom released FEOZ after all this trouble with Byuu, it was one of the best days I experienced since joining the scene some 10 years ago.

Now for me it's only Oni II and Traverse left and I will be happy with the SNES age. Yeah, and maybe the retranslation of DQ6, but that's another story. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 am 
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
akualung wrote:

They aren't gone. They keep updating their twitter accounts regularly and it seems they are still working on Traverse which is one of the games I really hope will get a translation in the end. When Tom released FEOZ after all this trouble with Byuu, it was one of the best days I experienced since joining the scene some 10 years ago.

Now for me it's only Oni II and Traverse left and I will be happy with the SNES age. Yeah, and maybe the retranslation of DQ6, but that's another story. ;)
I hope to get rolling on Oni-II by the start of the new year.

As for DQ-VI, I tried several times over the years to talk Bongo` into building an insertion program for the SFC version. He wouldn't budge because an English release for the NDS already existed. He also said it was a coding nightmare.