Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Release discussion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

I am leaning toward releasing this patch.

Most of the remaining work involves graphics hacks.

I do have one place in the game in which a lady sings a song. The translated lyrics may be too lengthy for the routine, causing gameplay to glitch and in some cases crash. To mend this, I may need to cut the lyrics to no more bytes than the original Japanese utilized. That would be a shame, but I have no other solutions.

A few more glitches with text have occurred randomly for some testers, possibly related to the use of save-states. None of us have been able to isolate this bug. When released, I'll address it in the readme. The basic workaround will be to move on past the bug and move on with the game.

Post subject: Re: Release discussion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Great to hear from you after so long!

I say if you can get it to a state where it's playable from start to finish, then a beta (v0.9X) patch would be very acceptable to release. The way things look at the moment, who knows if we'll ever be able to put any finishing hacks in there.

If it's been fully tested by enough people, then why not release it and call it a day, right?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Great to hear from you after so long!

I say if you can get it to a state where it's playable from start to finish, then a beta (v0.9X) patch would be very acceptable to release. The way things look at the moment, who knows if we'll ever be able to put any finishing hacks in there.

If it's been fully tested by enough people, then why not release it and call it a day, right?
I agree. I may try to test that song with shorter lyrics. TF might be able to mod the graphics, but he has his hands full at the moment, and it's not critical. I may change the name back on a character that is presented graphically in several places. Trying to achieve perfection doesn't really seem practical any more.

Hope everything is going well for you these days.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 am 
Site Admin

I'll be glad to move it up if it is closer to release. Not sure I ever got the work that needed to be done on that though.

On that note, I don't mind everyone knowing, so Ill just leave this here. Things are progressing on Aretha II nicely again now that I have some time. I've finished editing and will be working on the final alpha playthrough shortly. I'm hoping that moves quickly and by November we're into beta. I make no promises but I will try.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
I'll be glad to move it up if it is closer to release. Not sure I ever got the work that needed to be done on that though.

On that note, I don't mind everyone knowing, so Ill just leave this here. Things are progressing on Aretha II nicely again now that I have some time. I've finished editing and will be working on the final alpha playthrough shortly. I'm hoping that moves quickly and by November we're into beta. I make no promises but I will try.
No, I never sent you anything on SSMS-II's graphics, just Shiji. Given what you just shared regarding Aretha-II, maybe that should be our focal point right now.

I recall I had some glitches in the lines of Aretha-II's Monster Book. It was much "trickier" than that same feature in Aretha (I). Bongo` did some work on it for us, but the formatting in the strings for each and every monster may need a bit of tweaking.

As far as the timing of releasing SSMS-II, beta testing is finished. In the story, if I change the villain we renamed "Jocque" back to "Jodan", some of the needed graphic fixes I identified won't be required, and as Draken suggested, we may release a V0.99 about any time. I still want to cut down the woman's song lyrics in the cave and experiment with that, as Bongo` once told me might be required, and see if that scene will finally play out successfully.

A few small graphics hacks such as the following two may never be done. One is Jocque (Jodan) casting a spell in battle. The other is Jocque's iconic laughter that we hear all through the game.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:12 pm 

Good to hear you are back again! I already feared this community would cease to exist. There wasn't anything going on here for quite some time...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:10 am 
Site Admin

It is indeed nice to hear from all of you again. I'm also glad to hear that we'll be releasing the translation for SSMS-II to the public after all. It would've been a shame if fans of the first game could not continue on to the sequel.

Wildbill, have you gotten the small report that I sent you? I'm only asking because I haven't heard back from you in a while, but that's probably because you must be busy like we all seem to be lately. In which case, there's no hurry, please take as long as you need. I'll continue testing and looking through the script files. However, everything else so far looks good. If you're ready to release this, you may go ahead any time you like.

Hears to many more years of continuing to work together! I still can't believe that it's been ten years already. Out of all the projects that we've all worked together on, my personal favorite will always be Burning Heroes as that's the first project that I worked on here and which introduced me to the D-D team. Of course, other projects such as Mystic Ark, Record of Lodoss War and Silva Saga II, as well as all the others were special too. I think that just about everyone here has their own favorite pet project that they have worked on.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, is the Fire Shell Hero in this game the same as the one in the first? Or is he another person that was summoned from a different world like the first? The game isn't too clear on this, but I think that he may be a different hero since the first one didn't have a dog. Also his clothes and armor is different. On the other hand, he could just be the same hero, but older and with a dog. Can anyone here confirm if this really is the same character from the first game or not? The three shell monsters are certainly the same which is why I'm curious about the Hero. The magic spells and equipment selection also seem to be the same for both, but this could just be a typical setup for heroes in RPGs. I really wish that this game was more clear on this subject.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:58 pm 

Hi guys!

I'm new on those territories (well, if there's anyone here from ROMhacking boards, surely you'd have seen me before, especially cheering up every project done by Tom :D )

I wanna say you from the bottom of my heart THANKS SO MUCH! for the choice of releasing when ready the SSMS-II patch to all people. I'm really anxious to play it when the moment comes (hopefully it will be a VERY NICE Christmas gift :) ). And good success with the Aretha II patch (another one so awaited).

Greetings and blessings from Costa Rica ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 pm 

I'm very happy to hear this. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 pm 

♥♥♥♥