Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spot Translation Request
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:20 am 
Site Admin

Edit: The character is the Magician McGee. He is remarking on the demise of the villain Zenim-

Edit: Image

While waiting for Bongo` to wave the magic wand over Chaos Seed, I have a few minutes tonight to tie up a few loose end with BSMS.

This is the aftermath of a battle in the town of Sandra - Zenim's mansion specifically - in which one of the party's members is
probably commenting on the battle and the party's immediate objectives following the battle.

A surprising number of strings are untranslated in random blocks. I've handled a few up to this point, but this one is rather long, and I'm worn out tonight.

The tricky thing is that comments by about 10 fighters are possible after some major battles. But only thee comments will pop up in the game because
that's how many helpers you can have in your party at any given time. When we do beta testing, we will need enough players and coordination to ensure
that all of the join-able fighters are used for the entire game so we can check everything they say.

I have included adjacent strings with polished story for context. I expect to see judgment passed on the enemy, Zenim, and possibly a
reference to recovering the aura sphere from a vault or storeroom.

Block 104

; String: 27
; 「<var1>よォ!
;  早いとこ宝物庫ってとこへ行って
;  オーラの玉とお宝をいただこうぜ!<end>
Come, [mem_05]...! Let's hurry
to that treasure vault
for the aura sphere![end]

; String: 28
; 「ウホホホ… 魔法大全なんて
;  お前にゃもったいなかったのォ…
;  売れば高かったのに…
; 「燃えてしまって わしゃちと残念じゃ
;  まァ… せめてもの罪ほろぼしに
; 「お前がせっせと集めたお宝を
;  わしらのために提供してもうと
;  するかのォ……
; 「ホッホッホッ! お前の集めたもんが
;  シェルドラドの役に立つんじゃ!
;  安心して成仏せえ! ホッホッホッ!<end>
-Spot Translation Request-[end]

; String: 29
; 「あーあ… 見栄ばっかりはって
;  いばってたやつの末路って
;  みじめねェ……
; 「でも 考えてみればこいつも少し
;  かわいそうなやつね……
; 「トキア…
;  ほんのちょーっとだけ
;  同情しちゃう……<end>
He was vainglorious 'til the
end, so should I feel pity
for him now?[ckey]
I, Tokia, will try to find
one good quality in Zenim,
if I'm able.[end]

Post subject: Re: Spot Translation Request
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

The way these guys talk has a lot of flavor. :( This was tough for me to follow. I'm hoping that some (more) context can help it.

; 「ウホホホ… 魔法大全なんて
"Oho-ho-ho, a magic encyclopedia
;  お前にゃもったいなかったのォ…
is wasted on you.
;  売れば高かったのに…
It sells for a high price though...
; 「燃えてしまって わしゃちと残念じゃ
"I'm dismayed you/I went and burned it.
;  まァ… せめてもの罪ほろぼしに
Well at least in atonement
; 「お前がせっせと集めたお宝を
"You'll provide us with the
;  わしらのために提供してもうと
treasure you diligently
;  するかのォ……
collected.
; 「ホッホッホッ! お前の集めたもんが
"Ho-ho-ho-! What you collected will be
;  シェルドラドの役に立つんじゃ!
of great use to Shelldorado!
;  安心して成仏せえ! ホッホッホッ!<end>
Now you can go to heaven in peace! Ho-ho-ho-!<end>

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Filler! Thanks!

Yep, this game is sooo zany throughout. It's a lot of fun to write. Almost everyone is off the wall as likely as not.
One of your optional party members keeps wanting to carry the aura sphere for the hero. He thinks he could
resurrect Fat Badger more efficiently than the bumbling villains that he helps the hero defeat! He says he's just
joking, but is he? The verbal exchanges that go back and forth between Urnie and the more conventional and
mission-focused party members leaves a game player wondering.

And many of the characters are much more verbose than I am! I'm cutting down a lot in most places to convey the spirit
exactly without overwhelming the reader. When dealing with the occasional megalomaniacal, vainglorious type, I'm
leaving just those scenes long and sometimes rambling because it's expected - part of these people being in-character.

Magician McGee is an ol' fart wild man act! He loves his treasures, booze, and woman - not necessarily in that order -
'bout all he thinks about most of the time! A lot of folks around Shelldorado have a bone to pick with McGee, but he just
ho-ho's them off, shrugs, and saunters off after his pleasures! Your translation is perfectly in character for McGee.
I will write a much richer interpretation of his scathing attitude toward Zenim now.

Speaking of character-centered stories, BSMS may turn out to be more that way than story-driven (Attention, Taskforce!).
This game has a ton of side quests. The Princess Kilia, for example... If she's in your party when you visit her father,
the king up north, the ol' man will lock her in her room to keep her "safe"! You can't get her back without a side quest to
prove to the king you're worthy to "protect" her. But if she's not in your party when you visit the king, you'll miss this
whole lively excursion into the absurd! Thus, BSMS turns out to be a much more complex game than I initially perceived.

Thanks again, Matt!

[quote="filler"]The way these guys talk has a lot of flavor. :( This was tough for me to follow. I'm hoping that some (more) context can help it.

Edit: This is my first draft polished some:

O-ho-ho-ho...! A magic
encyclopedia was wasted
on this bumbling fool![ckey]
Too bad he went and
incinerated it... What a
short-sighted boob![ckey]
It would have fetched a
pretty penny... covered a
whole case of fine wine![ckey]
So, we'll help ourselves
to the remainder of his
ill-gotten treasures![ckey]
My li'l honeys are waiting,
ya know, and they don't
exactly give it away!![ckey]
Ho-ho-ho...! Anything left
over benefits Shelldorado,
I'm sure. Ho-ho-ho-ho...![ckey]
Now, Zenim... descend into
the infernal reaches and
find your new 'mansion'!![end]

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 pm 

Sounds like this game has pretty rich characters and good humour. You just got another fan of this translation :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a lot of fun. Your draft has a lot of character. Good to see you digging into this one! The character driven part reminds me of Grandia a little. It may just be my memory, but I feel like the story was generic/unmemorable while the characters on the other hand were quite memorable. Anyway, It goes without saying but feel free to post any more untranslated spots that are giving you trouble. I won't guarantee a response but I'll do my best.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Looks like a lot of fun. Your draft has a lot of character. Good to see you digging into this one! The character driven part reminds me of Grandia a little. It may just be my memory, but I feel like the story was generic/unmemorable while the characters on the other hand were quite memorable. Anyway, It goes without saying but feel free to post any more untranslated spots that are giving you trouble. I won't guarantee a response but I'll do my best.
You are a prince of a fellow, Matt! Thank you again.

It's not often I get as much into quirky saga personalities as I do main missions, but this game is trending me in that direction. Pleasing game lovers and friends such as ChronoMoogle makes all off this hard work worthwhile, too. The real challenge is to get TF to play and finish a game he doesn't like, hee-hee...!

Well, it appears Bongo` has just repaired Chaos Seed with a major insertion system restructure, so I'll be diverting myself to that other obsession. I just successfully tested myself back to the threshold of the seminal battle with General Raikan at his HQ in Doutenpuku Town at the end of Scenario 5. My menu (X) button no longer blows up the entire game at that juncture!! But he's limited my ROM size to a total of 3,145,728 bytes! Imagine that! What's a poor overly-confined country boy writer to do...!!?

Then, there's Lodoss... Don't despair, RS. We'll talk options and priorities and figure this thing out. Soon...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 am 
Site Admin

Ahhh. I have a spot trans request. :) These are Skills followed by there descriptions. Left untranslated and now hurting the game's insertion. :( Thanks for any help.

まどうのめ -> 補特敵1かんてい
しゅうちゅう -> 消費MP 1/2

かわりみのじゅつ -> 1T  Dなし

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Ahhh. I have a spot trans request. :) These are Skills followed by there descriptions. Left untranslated and now hurting the game's insertion. :( Thanks for any help.

まどうのめ -> 補特敵1かんてい
しゅうちゅう -> 消費MP 1/2

かわりみのじゅつ -> 1T  Dなし

My apologies, I just noticed this now. Here are these two:

しゅうちゅう -> 消費MP 1/2
Concentration (or focus, like focusing your mind) -> Consumes 1/2 MP
かわりみのじゅつ -> 1T  Dなし
Body Replacement Technique (Substitution Jutsu, ninja jutsu where you swap something else out for your body) -> 1 T No D

I'm not sure on that first one. Let me look into it more.

My projects
RHDN Community DB