Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The English Name of this Project
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 am 
Site Admin

We decided on Shell Monster Story, however...

KM reminded us that was the NES version he released years ago. He says this one should be: Big Shell Monsters Story . If we go with that, we're creeping back toward a long name again.

So, Draken and I have been referring to it casually as "Shelldorado". The name of the world is Shelldorado, and the seat of government is called Dorado City, and Shelldorado rolls off the tongue easily.

Then again, I'm looking at the title page now, trying to determine what might fit neatly over:

Daikaijuu
Monogatari

Big Shell
Monster(s) Story

Shell-
Dorado

Shell
Monster Story

The Shell
Monster Story

The Big Shell
Monster(s) Story

or what?

It looks like only one option will fit in the two-line space cleanly - the last option listed above.

Post subject: Re: The English Name of this Project
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:

KM reminded us that was the NES version he released years ago. He says this one should be: Big Shell Monsters Story . If we go with that, we're creeping back toward a long name again.

So, Draken and I have been referring to it casually as "Shelldorado". The name of the world is Shelldorado, and the seat of government is called Dorado City, and Shelldorado rolls off the tongue easily.

Then again, I'm looking at the title page now, trying to determine what might fit neatly over:

Daikaijuu
Monogatari

Big Shell
Monster(s) Story

Shell-
Dorado

Shell
Monster Story

The Shell
Monster Story

The Big Shell
Monster(s) Story

or what?

It looks like only one option will fit in the two-line space cleanly - the last option listed above.

One of the "requirements" from the original Title artist and hacker(s) ws to retain th etitle and give credit to them. Maybe we can just Add "Shelldorado Story" in plain text underneath it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Daikaijuu
Monogatari

Big Shell
Monster(s) Story

Shell-
Dorado

Shell
Monster Story

The Shell
Monster Story

The Big Shell
Monster(s) Story

or what?

One of the "requirements" from the original Title artist and hacker(s) ws to retain the title and give credit to them. Maybe we can just Add "Shelldorado Story" in plain text underneath it?
I'm happy with anything English and always grateful to folks who work hard and share their labors. Thing is, I would like to see a title page conversion done as soon as possible. I... uh... sorta plan to... like... bang this thing out, if you know what I mean.

Then, we need to find a translator for Oni, and I need to get you a glitch report for Aretha-II... and I... uh... sort of need an insertion system for Aretha-I, and............ and...........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Bongo`, WB has been on a real crusade to get things done lately... Throw as much at him as you can ;D j/k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am 

Some thoughts & ideas...

Shelldorado (in simply one line with higher letters)

Grand Shell
Monster Saga

Great Tale of
Shelldorado

Chronicles of
Shelldorado

Shell Monster
Chronicles

Shell Monsters'
Great Journey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Thanks! All of them look fine to me. Hopefully, one of them is close to Bongo`s deal. More importantly, maybe we can get this sorted out quickly, find a volunteer to build the title page hack right away, and move on with the main event!

ChronoMoogle wrote:
Some thoughts & ideas...

Shelldorado (in simply one line with higher letters)

Grand Shell
Monster Saga

Great Tale of
Shelldorado

Chronicles of
Shelldorado

Shell Monster
Chronicles

Shell Monsters'
Great Journey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 pm 

I would suggest taking a 3 tiered approach to the title screen and jimmy it around a bit instead of working with the original design limitation. I suppose it depends on VRAM limitations, but I think it's possible given a tight design.

Big
Shell Monsters
Story

I also do like Super Shell Monsters Story as a title.

Are you guys going to keep the terminology and names the same between games? I've never played the NES translation, but I think it would be cool to see consistency across translations. At some point I'd love to tackle the GB game and would like to have the main titles match each other etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 am 

I love the idea of

Super
Shell Monster
Story

with 3 tiers. If this is possible it would probably be the coolest possible title for the project.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 am 
Site Admin

ChronoMoogle wrote:
I love the idea of

Super
Shell Monster
Story

with 3 tiers. If this is possible it would probably be the coolest possible title for the project.
I like what both of you fellows have suggested. Apparently, we're locked into some deal that forces us to keep the Japanese Romaji. This is beyond ridiculous to me, to localize a story with a fictional culture in English and keep the title only in the original language. Might as well put the Kanji or whatever back up there. It would be about as exciting and revealing of the story's theme to Western gamers. Phew! I think I'm gonna pull out and start dusting off Aretha-II until this mess gets sorted out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:23 am 
Site Admin

In accordance with the original team(s) wishes, I have changed the name of the forum and (non-existent) link on the main page. Some of the staff weren't aware of this requirement until today. I'll get the page built soon. If we decide to add a secondary English title on top of Daikaijuu Monogatari, I'll be glad to add it when that is finalized. I do apologize to the original team for this oversight and error.