Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga 2 post release feedback
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
Red Soul wrote:
Not a mistake, it was just a joke on my part. I came up with it and it stuck.

Ah, I see. My apologies, Red Soul.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
These are good catches. I suspected we maybe should have done another complete play-through after all of the changes and run the blocks through spell check as well. Huuuge script in this game!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I feel like I should have noticed a lot of these errors... Am I losing my touch? Or maybe changes suggested by Shiva and other testers weren't fully tested after they were edited.

Anyways, it's still a great game, and I can't wait to see what else we come up with this year!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I feel like I should have noticed a lot of these errors... Am I losing my touch? Or maybe changes suggested by Shiva and other testers weren't fully tested after they were edited.

Anyways, it's still a great game, and I can't wait to see what else we come up with this year!
No, you were good to go. These are the post-beta changes, mostly, and it's usually impossible to pull up an exact spot in a game quickly - especially if it's a variable option string. I've done this in our releases previously - made a change after testing, guessed at the formatting, and missed by half a character. Usually, to be on the safe side, I leave a larger than needed margin on the right.

But EditPadPro has spell check. I used it in BH and caught over a hundred issues before it went to beta testing. This would have taken a while with SS-II having well over 200 blocks, but we should have done it anyway after the final testing and insertions.

All-in-all, a few dozen slips in a dialogue of this magnitude isn't bad. But TF and I are sold on using EditPadPro in this work. We can even set it up to display the Japanese above the insertion section. To my knowledge, the MS text editors don't support this. Also, I frequently use NJStar set to ASCII input to write. With the built in Japanese dictionary activated, this can be quite handy while processing alpha versions of a story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 pm 

I'll commit the necessary fixes, WB and Draken so you guys can take it easy.
Thanks for finding those, Swordmaster, Post-release feedback is always important.
The ring thing was just a whim since that part needed rewriting at the time, so
I stuck a LOTR reference in there for kicks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:45 am 

There are actually very few errors compared to other games. Even a lot of professionally translated games. All of the Lufia games come to mind. I just sort of have a knack for finding these things. It's hard to enjoy novels, sometimes. I just hope my curse helps you guys out some. lol

Spoiler! :
Missing a "the".

Not sure if it's an extra "he" or a missing "but".

Also, during the wedding one of the messages was too long and it caused the top line to vanish for an extra line to appear at the bottom containing one word. And when the newly weds leave the party there is an instance where the text continues without prompting. It happens really fast. I was only able to read a word or two before another block of text replaced it. And then it happens another time when Arlaw joins. I was able to copy an .srm right before this happens. And one more thing: most new messages take two button presses to clear. This anomaly began at Altoga Fortress, and seems to be through the rest of the game so far. Ok, after typing this I just warped to Altena and examined the "Loto" sword, and had the same result. It didn't do that before. Something must have changed. Let me know if anyone wants the .srm file to see what I'm talking about. Also just tried it on both SNES9X and Bsnes with the same result.

Last edited by Swordmaster on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:00 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
There are actually very few errors compared to other games. Even a lot of professionally translated games. All of the Lufia games come to mind. I just sort of have a knack for finding these things. It's hard to enjoy novels, sometimes. I just hope my curse helps you guys out some. lol

Spoiler! :
Missing a "the".

Not sure if it's an extra "he" or a missing "but".
Nah, this is super! You're helping us make this game perfect. But I'll challenge you right now to find ten typos in our next release. Keep this up, and we'll put you to work around this place, hee-hee...!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 am 

lol, Willbill, you posted before I finished editing my last post. Sorry, but could you read the new text at the bottom of the "spoiler" box? =)

Wildbill wrote:
Nah, this is super! You're helping us make this game perfect. But I'll challenge you right now to find ten typos in our next release. Keep this up, and we'll put you to work around this place, hee-hee...!

lol, ten doesn't sound very challenging. I don't think I've played a single RPG that I couldn't find at least that many. Hmm... I guess I should have reported on Lennus II. I'm always afraid I'm going to offend someone. I once got into trouble for correcting my English teacher. I had a REALLY bad English teacher in high school. lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 am 
Site Admin

Swordmaster wrote:
lol, Willbill, you posted before I finished editing my last post. Sorry, but could you read the new text at the bottom of the "spoiler" box? =)

Wildbill wrote:

lol, ten doesn't sound very challenging. I don't think I've played a single RPG that I couldn't find at least that many. Hmm... I guess I should have reported on Lennus II. I'm always afraid I'm going to offend someone. I once got into trouble for correcting my English teacher. I had a REALLY bad English teacher in high school. lol
I got in trouble years ago for correcting the "other" senior class English teacher in my high school who just happened to be my mother! I was the school newspaper and yearbook photographer - always roaming the halls and getting girls out of class on the pretext of doing a shoot. One day, I walked by her class and heard her tell the students the wrong predicate tense in a compound sentence. She was basing it on a plural object of a preposition instead of the singular subject. She's retired now, but I still catch her using incorrect pronoun cases - my pet peeve! Heh, methinks Mom watches too much network television out in the pasture!

Anyway, keep those cards and letters a'comin'!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 am 
Site Admin

He-he! I LOVE it when my students point out little errors I've made! It means that they're paying attention ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:06 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
He-he! I LOVE it when my students point out little errors I've made! It means that they're paying attention ;)
Awright...! "Compleat" is "complete". Pretentious? Sheesh...! I'm gonna go fix another gin and tonic, watch a colorized talkie movie, and cry in my "lost language".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next