Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga 2 post release feedback
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:34 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
The second one can't be changed unfortunately. If we spell out "silver", it'll cause a line overrun in at least one of the menus.

Hmmm... can't you use another word in place of Silver instead? Seeing the weapon is best fit for Lenna (in this point of the game) when you equip stuff using the "optimal" option, how about "Holy" or "Rune" for example?

And speaking of name changes, I watched that awesome guy who did a Let's Play on the raw Japanese ROM & in his play through he gave different translations to stuff. For example, the "Bone" Armour set he called "Fossil". But based on common knowledge from playing other RPGs, "bone Armour", "bone Helm" & "bone shield" seems to be more fitting & besides Fossil obviously exceeds space constraints :)

He also called another armour set the "Bandit" set & I think in your translation it's the "Savage" set, of which by the way I need to find out which monster drops the helmet & shield as loot :)

Spoiler! :
I actually stayed in that one cave where you get Elmor to join the party for a while to farm for four pieces of Savage Armours for my mercs :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
The second one can't be changed unfortunately. If we spell out "silver", it'll cause a line overrun in at least one of the menus.

Hmmm... can't you use another word in place of Silver instead? Seeing the weapon is best fit for Lenna (in this point of the game) when you equip stuff using the "optimal" option, how about "Holy" or "Rune" for example?

And speaking of name changes, I watched that awesome guy who did a Let's Play on the raw Japanese ROM & in his play through he gave different translations to stuff. For example, the "Bone" Armour set he called "Fossil". But based on common knowledge from playing other RPGs, "bone Armour", "bone Helm" & "bone shield" seems to be more fitting & besides Fossil obviously exceeds space constraints :)

He also called another armour set the "Bandit" set & I think in your translation it's the "Savage" set, of which by the way I need to find out which monster drops the helmet & shield as loot :)

Spoiler! :
I actually stayed in that one cave where you get Elmor to join the party for a while to farm for four pieces of Savage Armours for my mercs :)
We changed "Leather" to "Hide" for that very reason. Since this game is called Silva (Silver) Saga-II in "Engrish", though, we must be careful about name changes involving Silver items. Otherwise, we could call it "Silva" equipment I guess, hee-hee...

Your suggestions are all good. Be careful, or we'll put you to work around here!

You're a player after my own heart, wanting to find the secrets and incredible drops. Several places offer excellent opportunities to harvest amazing items, weapons, armor, and such.
Spoiler! :
I can't remember the precise details, but one of them is the cave to the far west of Altena.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45 pm 

You guys rock so much! Trust me, there are lots of people, more than you may even know (or see) that truly appreciate the fruits of your labors! I am sure the folks who post here are but a small fraction of the people who will soon enjoy this gem!

I for one, I am sooo thankful for your hard work, nice going! At this point, I already know, before even starting a game, that I am entering into a HIGH quality translation/hacking/overall body of work, when it is done by Double D! This game of course, is no different. And like I said, if you ever need a beta tester in the future, *raises hand* as it is the least I can do after all the effort you guys exert.

The game is interesting so far. My only question is, when you switch to mercenary or Idols within battle, are their actions randomly selcted, or can I manually select their actions? Seems I have no control over what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:30 am 

I might just stick with the same four mercenaries the entire game, because the one thing I (already) dislike about this game is constant rotation of characters into my main party of four. So I want something to be steady. I dislike saving money and buying new equipment only for the characters to just up and leave so abrubtly. Kind of annoying! Otherwise, again, a real fun game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 am 

Thank you, we are glad you enjoy the game so much and that you realize we do
what we do for love of gaming, and because we believe much of the old-school
goodness was denied to us by market policies that judges games based on
profitability. Translation groups should exist to help change that, that is our
prime motivation - good games deserve to be known and played far and wide.

Specifically about SS2:
The extra party actions are indeed automated.
Mercenaries will attack and idols will cast spells based
on their element. The correct way to use mercenaries is
indeed to hire early and keep them around, so that
they become an asset and not a liability to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am 

@DoubleDvideogames: You need not worry about losing equipment when a "hero party" (your main party) member leaves as they pass on their gear, spells (if they're spell casters) & experience points to whoever will replace them. Think of it this way, they're still the same character/s you started with but have different sprites on them :) And quite frankly I LOVE this system! Why haven't other more prominent RPG makers followed this example? I hate it when you have a decently leveled party then somebody leaves & is replaced by someone totally weak & you need to grind until that new guy/gal is on par with everybody, then on the next town over they leave yet again :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:11 pm 

CRV10 wrote:
@DoubleDvideogames: You need not worry about losing equipment when a "hero party" (your main party) member leaves as they pass on their gear, spells (if they're spell casters) & experience points to whoever will replace them. Think of it this way, they're still the same character/s you started with but have different sprites on them :) And quite frankly I LOVE this system! Why haven't other more prominent RPG makers followed this example? I hate it when you have a decently leveled party then somebody leaves & is replaced by someone totally weak & you need to grind until that new guy/gal is on par with everybody, then on the next town over they leave yet again :(

Final Fantasy 4 comes to mind...
Honestly I prefer a small fixed party than a constant rotation of characters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
CRV10 wrote:

Final Fantasy 4 comes to mind...
Honestly I prefer a small fixed party than a constant rotation of characters.
I'm with you. Final Fantasy-IV drives me bonkers - changing characters more often than I change my socks! The game is still outstanding, though I prefer an engine that keeps inactive fighters moping around inside a headquarters tent or building, like Feda and Shining Force. You can go inside and yak at them and listen to them gripe about being bored when they're not in the active party. Just like real military personnel, a b****ing sailor is a happy sailor, hee-hee...!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:49 pm 

And Feda's troop talk is not only more amusing, but also a lot more down to earth than SF's.
Guess it gives you a better glimpse of what a war front really is.
Some people think games are all about escapism and that they can't teach a person to be
better, but I disagree; Feda is one of those games that will make you think about stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:15 am 

I just need to blow off some steam, hope it's OK...

Spoiler! :
I was playing for three straight hours when something unexpected & most unpleasant happened :oops:

I loaded the game (in game save) at the town where you met Arlaw (Arlowe) for the very first time & are asked to acquire an item to cure the curse put on him by Zolde.

In three hours of playing I finally got Arlowe in my party, have cleared the Wind Shrine, have gone through Bandol, received the blessing to become the next Light Warrior & have reached the town of Noland. I saved my game (again in game via the Magic Guild) & before I turned off the game (emulator) I decided to leave town & do a savestate at the world map. I often do this because I'm so used to games like the Final Fantasy games where you can save outside towns. So anyway, I get out of town & made a savestate, then my stupid "enjoyment" of the game made me look at my party's stats & doing so made me realize that my Idol party only needs one more battle for the team to level up. So I walk a bit north onto the Snowy area (I've already acquired the Sledge) & bam! A battle starts! I won the battle, the idols leveled up & as soon as the world map returns I pressed the Save state button (I assigned it on the Right Trigger number 2 button of my Logitech Gamepad) then.... Oh no! The emulator crashed! 0_o Well actually it stopped responding (game froze, no sound) so I had to end the process.

When I reloaded the game my heart was torn to pieces when my state would not load (the status text said the state was not in the correct format) as it seems to have been corrupted & what's worse was my last save (in Noland) seems to have been destroyed as when the game loaded I was back at where I began playing (in the town where you meet Arlowe) 0_o So yeah, three hours of fun went down the toilet :(

At least the crash didn't corrupt the in game save making it so I start at the very beginning because if it did that'll truly make me want to cry :(

End Rant...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next