Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga 2 post release feedback
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yuka wrote:
Congrats for the new release! I'll give it a go when I'm finished with other things. :roll:
Hmmm... Sometimes, distractions are fine. And fun... And can bring satisfaction quickly.

Other times... Well... I'll say that not getting distracted might yield amazing satisfaction much sooner. Hee-hee...

(PS: Meanwhile, in other news, someone needs to light a fire under a certain small baby male dragon who is fluttering about just a bit west of the International Date Line!)

Last edited by Wildbill on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, it's always nice to see another translation released! There's always that nice atmosphere of excitement and intrigue. Beta testing for this game was indeed a lot of fun. I always do enjoy RPGs with a lot of treasure to find around towns and caves/dungeons.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:38 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
oldpoem wrote:
I think the information in README file is incorrect about ROM needed for this patch.

In README said the ROM needed for patch is no header rom with

Hashes
CRC32 DAC1C838
MD5 7609277776AA9F2BE0DE614E7199348B

This is for ROM with SWC Header and result for patched file is NOT WORKING.

I tried with No header ROM with

Hashes
CRC32 67E1756B
MD5 DCEC11FCF8C2355F07F6EE4144E70A85

I think this should be proper rom needed and result for patched file is WORKING.

Or should I use NSRT to strip header from SWC headered ROM and use it instead?

The ROM info in the readme is not incorrect, I just checked again.
The base file you need should match the info above (and does for me).

There should be no header whatsoever so you can try and remove it with
NSRT, but a ROM booting doesn't mean it will work without problems throughout,
and the one specified in the readme does, believe me, I test played this countless times.

What is the revision number of the ROM you have?
If you have problems, keep us posted and we'll do our best to help you.

These are 2 ROMS in question. Others just failed checksum (bad dump)

Internal ROM Info
File
Silva Saga II - The Legend of Light and Darkness (J) [f1].smc
Name
SILVASAGA2
Company
Seta Co.,Ltd.
Header
SWC
Bank
LoROM
Interleaved
None
SRAM
64 Kb
Type
Normal + Batt
ROM
16 Mb
Country
Japan
Video
NTSC
ROM Speed
120ns (FastROM)
Revision
Checksum
Good 0x390A
Game Code

Hashes
CRC32
DAC1C838
MD5
7609277776AA9F2BE0DE614E7199348B
Database
Error
ROM wasn't found in the database (possible bad dump).
Error
You can try using -fix or -findover to see if the
Error
file has been slightly altered in a rectifiable way.

Internal ROM Info
File
Silva Saga II - The Legend of Light and Darkness (J).smc
Name
SILVASAGA2
Company
Seta Co.,Ltd.
Header
None
Bank
LoROM
Interleaved
None
SRAM
64 Kb
Type
Normal + Batt
ROM
16 Mb
Country
Japan
Video
NTSC
ROM Speed
120ns (FastROM)
Revision
Checksum
Good 0x3728
Game Code

Hashes
CRC32
67E1756B
MD5
DCEC11FCF8C2355F07F6EE4144E70A85
Database
Name
Silva Saga II
Country
Japan
Revision
Port 1
Gamepad
Port 2
Gamepad
Genre 1
RPG
Genre 2
Unknown

So I guess I will stick with CRC32 DAC1C838 and remove header.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm 

It was a really nice suprise to read the news that this patch has been released! This has definitely made my day.

I want to thank you all for your hard work and dedication in releasing this translation. I'm going to get to this as soon as possible!

From everything I've read about this game, it certainly seems different from the usual by-the-books RPG (judging from the 3 party system). I do hope I'll be able to get into it.

Also, can anyone answer these 2 questions I have, which would be; how long would this game take me to finish? The other question is; how hard would you say this game is (compared to other RPGs--such as Lennus II or Mystic Ark)?

Thank you. I look forward to seeing news of your other projects!

-Chris

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 pm 

Zetshiro wrote:
It was a really nice suprise to read the news that this patch has been released! This has definitely made my day.

I want to thank you all for your hard work and dedication in releasing this translation. I'm going to get to this as soon as possible!

From everything I've read about this game, it certainly seems different from the usual by-the-books RPG (judging from the 3 party system). I do hope I'll be able to get into it.

Also, can anyone answer these 2 questions I have, which would be; how long would this game take me to finish? The other question is; how hard would you say this game is (compared to other RPGs--such as Lennus II or Mystic Ark)?

Thank you. I look forward to seeing news of your other projects!

-Chris

Hmm...
Well, from my experience, Zetshiro, I'd say Silva Saga 2 is, on average, both shorter and easier than Mystic Ark,
although I couldn't estimate play times precisely because testplaying can be quite different from playing normally
(even so I finished both games at least twice during the process).

Since SS2 allows you to manage three parties of four characters each while Mystic Ark is limited to one party of three,
Silva Saga 2 makes it easier to traverse dungeons and other complicated locations by switching between parties
to allow your main heroes to be spared for a boss fight, while Mystic Ark more traditionally required you to manage
resources and finish battles efficiently to achieve the same result.

On the flipside, managing potentially 8 characters in SS2 is much more time consuming than managing Mystic Ark's party of 3,
so the difficulty shifts in comparison from plainly staying alive in MA to choosing the best combination of idols and keeping your
mercs well geared and strong, as well as the main party.

Boss battles seemed harder to me on MA than SS2 as well, although enemies that inflict statuses such as stone and sleep
seem to use these abilities way more often in the latter.

I can't vouch for Lennus 2 since I wasn't involved in the process of making the patch, nor I'm very familiar with the game,
but hopefully one of my buddies can fill you in on the differences and wrap up this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 pm 

oldpoem wrote:

Internal ROM Info
File
Name
SILVASAGA2
Company
Seta Co.,Ltd.
Header
SWC
Bank
LoROM
Interleaved
None
SRAM
64 Kb
Type
Normal + Batt
ROM
16 Mb
Country
Japan
Video
NTSC
ROM Speed
120ns (FastROM)
Revision
Checksum
Good 0x390A
Game Code

Hashes
CRC32
DAC1C838
MD5
Database
Error
Error
Error

Internal ROM Info
File
Name
SILVASAGA2
Company
Seta Co.,Ltd.
Header
None
Bank
LoROM
Interleaved
None
SRAM
64 Kb
Type
Normal + Batt
ROM
16 Mb
Country
Japan
Video
NTSC
ROM Speed
120ns (FastROM)
Revision
Checksum
Good 0x3728
Game Code

Hashes
CRC32
67E1756B
MD5
Database
Name
Silva Saga II
Country
Japan
Revision
Port 1
Gamepad
Port 2
Gamepad
Genre 1
RPG
Genre 2
Unknown

See if that works. If it does not, please PM me and we'll see what can be done yes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
oldpoem wrote:

Internal ROM Info
File
Name
SILVASAGA2
Company
Seta Co.,Ltd.
Header
SWC
Bank
LoROM
Interleaved
None
SRAM
64 Kb
Type
Normal + Batt
ROM
16 Mb
Country
Japan
Video
NTSC
ROM Speed
120ns (FastROM)
Revision
Checksum
Good 0x390A
Game Code

Hashes
CRC32
DAC1C838
MD5
Database
Error
Error
Error

Internal ROM Info
File
Name
SILVASAGA2
Company
Seta Co.,Ltd.
Header
None
Bank
LoROM
Interleaved
None
SRAM
64 Kb
Type
Normal + Batt
ROM
16 Mb
Country
Japan
Video
NTSC
ROM Speed
120ns (FastROM)
Revision
Checksum
Good 0x3728
Game Code

Hashes
CRC32
67E1756B
MD5
Database
Name
Silva Saga II
Country
Japan
Revision
Port 1
Gamepad
Port 2
Gamepad
Genre 1
RPG
Genre 2
Unknown

See if that works. If it does not, please PM me and we'll see what can be done yes?

Both works fine. It's just that normally everyone would try to apply patch to
Silva Saga II - The Legend of Light and Darkness (J).smc which is in NSRT db. But Silva Saga II - The Legend of Light and Darkness (J) [f1].smc which has same hashes as in readme is not in NSRT db and I tried 3-4 sources and all came up with SWC header which you need to remove header first to make it works with patch.

So generally people would grab that in NSRT db and patch away which result in booting fine and run fine. I just asked because I want to make sure to get patched game as it is intended.

Thanks for hard work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Yuka wrote:
(PS: Meanwhile, in other news, someone needs to light a fire under a certain small baby male dragon who is fluttering about just a bit west of the International Date Line!)

Yeah, yeah... I'm starting again right now... promise! It was Lunar New Year holiday here the last several days so I was forced (as usual) to do some heavy drinking (all day for several days) with the father in law. So glad that it's over now!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 am 

I've been playing the game non-stop for about 8 hours. So far the average level for my characters are 27 (except for my idols which are around 20) and I'm on my way to the Wind Tower.

I'm suprised by how fast I got hooked by this game! I like the 3 party system, although I feel as though my mercenaries are utter tanks while my idols are starting to slow me down a bit (I should spend some time to build them up when I continue playing the game). It's interesting how both parties recover full HP/MP after each battle. I also really like the music!

I was expecting this game to be really, really difficult. So far, I'm not having any trouble at all, although there are sudden difficulty spikes here and there which can catch me off guard for a bit!

I really like how descriptive the game is! I was having a great time examining furniture and seeing what would happen (such as me hitting my head, getting my finger stuck in the door, dropping 70G, cleaning the furniture, the list goes on)!

Also, I saw in your game description that it has a Dragon Quest reference in it. Would that be the sword outside the weapon shop with "Loto" written on it? I also had a laugh seeing some of you in the game itself sitting around a table!

I should get to sleep, as I've been playing it so long that it's nearly early morning! Thank you for releasing this game. So far, it's definitely a fun game.

Also, I'm quite confused about what that girl did in one of the earlier Shrines, because the screen went all black. It felt like Lennus II and Dragon Quest III all over again! Haha! :lol:

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:52 am 

Zetshiro wrote:
I've been playing the game non-stop for about 8 hours. So far the average level for my characters are 27 (except for my idols which are around 20) and I'm on my way to the Wind Tower.

I'm suprised by how fast I got hooked by this game! I like the 3 party system, although I feel as though my mercenaries are utter tanks while my idols are starting to slow me down a bit (I should spend some time to build them up when I continue playing the game). It's interesting how both parties recover full HP/MP after each battle. I also really like the music!

I was expecting this game to be really, really difficult. So far, I'm not having any trouble at all, although there are sudden difficulty spikes here and there which can catch me off guard for a bit!

I really like how descriptive the game is! I was having a great time examining furniture and seeing what would happen (such as me hitting my head, getting my finger stuck in the door, dropping 70G, cleaning the furniture, the list goes on)!

Also, I saw in your game description that it has a Dragon Quest reference in it. Would that be the sword outside the weapon shop with "Loto" written on it? I also had a laugh seeing some of you in the game itself sitting around a table!

I should get to sleep, as I've been playing it so long that it's nearly early morning! Thank you for releasing this game. So far, it's definitely a fun game.

Also, I'm quite confused about what that girl did in one of the earlier Shrines, because the screen went all black. It felt like Lennus II and Dragon Quest III all over again! Haha! :lol:

We are glad you enjoy the game, it is indeed a complete package of classic RPG goodness - graphics, music, pretty much all of it.
Yes, the DQ reference is indeed Loto/Roto, the legendary hero of the DQ mythos.
Don't give up on your idols, they become real sweepers when properly leveled, so keep at it!
Do be mindful though to backup your saves while experimenting with idol fusion, if you got that far,
just in case you get an idol you dislike.

Its true mercs can take one hell of a beating, they are meant to be walls, but be mindful high powered spells can
hurt them quite a bit unless properly equipped/leveled and when a merc is gone, its gone for good!
Lastly... heh about the priestess, I'll leave that to your imagination.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next