Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Post subject: Spot Translation Requests *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Okay, this first one is not a totally untranslated Misc file, rather a request for coordination on less-than-obvious readings for some of the Spirit Fighters in the game.

Spirits (or Spirit Images or Deity Statues) are little statuettes that the hero carries around and organizes or combines into teams of four that can fight a battle round the same way humanoid or robotic fighters would. Spirits even gain in levels and attributes, but they can't be equipped with weapons and armor.

Each Spirit is imbued with powers relevant to its type, because the power of its matching god is stored inside. When two Spirits are combined, the new one takes on the traits of both types and acquires even more power.

The basic Spirits are elemental, therefore easy. The lower ones on the list may be names for Spirits that are made from two higher up on the list that have been combined in the Magic Guild.

Most are in Katakana, so I don't know if borrow words are intended, or if these should be converted back to Kanji or Hiragana and translated. I have found instances where I believe this latter option may be the case.

Finally, menu space is limited. Suggested names should be no greater that six letters, and five or even four letters are much preferable. Here's the list:

だいち
.TEXT
Earth
.ENDT

みずうみ
.TEXT
Water
.ENDT

ほし
.TEXT
Star
.ENDT

こがらし
.TEXT
Wind
.ENDT

ほのお
.TEXT
Fire
.ENDT

ちしき
.TEXT
Lore
.ENDT

おおぞら
.TEXT
Sky
.ENDT

たましい
.TEXT
Soul
.ENDT

くらやみ
.TEXT
Dark
.ENDT

バン
.TEXT
Guard
.ENDT

ロダ
.TEXT
Roda
.ENDT

ガイ
.TEXT
Harm
.ENDT

ラグ
.TEXT
Ragu (Rug?)
.ENDT

デリ
.TEXT
Deli
.ENDT

ドル
.TEXT
Doll
.ENDT

ファル
.TEXT
Falcon
.ENDT

ロウン
.TEXT
Rune
.ENDT

; ヤヌス
.TEXT
Janus (Yanus)
.ENDT

; カリイ
.TEXT
Carey (???)
.ENDT

シバ
.TEXT
Wood
.ENDT

ヤーン
.TEXT
Yarn
.ENDT

トトス
.TEXT
Fish
.ENDT

ハーン
.TEXT
Khan (or Van, as in caravan)
.ENDT

ヨイド
.TEXT
Balm (Medicine)
.ENDT

しょうり
.TEXT
Valor (Victory)
.ENDT

じあい
.TEXT
Love
.ENDT

うみかぜ
.TEXT
Zephyr
.ENDT

かいはつ
.TEXT
Build (as in development)
.ENDT

Last edited by Wildbill on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Spot Translation Requests
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 pm 

Those are "Idols" of the series. These how they are in the first SS.

だいち
.TEXT
Earth
.ENDT

みずうみ
.TEXT
Lake
.ENDT

ほし
.TEXT
Star
.ENDT

こがらし
.TEXT
Wind
.ENDT

ほのお
.TEXT
Flame
.ENDT

ちしき
.TEXT
Lore
.ENDT

おおぞら
.TEXT
Sky
.ENDT

たましい
.TEXT
Soul
.ENDT

くらやみ
.TEXT
Dark
.ENDT

バン
.TEXT
Vaan
.ENDT

ロダ
.TEXT
Roda
.ENDT

ガイ
.TEXT
Guy
.ENDT

ラグ
.TEXT
Rug
.ENDT

デリ
.TEXT
Delhi
.ENDT

ドル
.TEXT
Doll
.ENDT

ファル
.TEXT
Fall
.ENDT

ロウン
.TEXT
Rown
.ENDT

; ヤヌス
.TEXT
Janus
.ENDT

; カリイ
.TEXT
Kali
.ENDT

シバ
.TEXT
Shiva
.ENDT

ヤーン
.TEXT
Jan
.ENDT

トトス
.TEXT
Thoth
.ENDT

ハーン
.TEXT
Khan
.ENDT

ヨイド
.TEXT
Void
.ENDT

しょうり
.TEXT
Win
.ENDT

じあい
.TEXT
Love
.ENDT

うみかぜ
.TEXT
Gale
.ENDT

かいはつ
.TEXT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

aishsha wrote:
Thanks, Aishsha! I'll plug them straight into the working ROM and be done with that little detail.

"Idol" I like it. It's accurate and 4-letter pithy, much better than "Spirit Image" or "Deity Statue".

So, instead of "Spirits", should we put "Idol" in all the menus and such?

And should the syntax in Script strings be "Earth Idol" or "Idol of Earth", for example?

I'll post the town names sometime later, when my #1 gal ("Only!!" *Slap!* "Ow...!!") isn't holding me captive much of this fine Valentine's Day!! *Squeeze* *Ooooh!!*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Snuck some time!

ベタのむら Village of Beta

アドルのまち Town of Adol

メモルのむら Village of Memol

アーカサスのまち Town of Arkasas

ラトニアのせきし Latonian Road

ローランのむら Village of Rolan

トールしんでん Temple of Tor

アルテナのまち Town of Altena

みなとまちエンデ Port of Endel

マヌスしんでん Temple of Manus

ヨーホイのむら Village of Yohoi

いのりのしんでん Temple of Prayer

トランのまち Town of Toran

アルトガとりで Fort Altoga

ロスこうざん Loss Mine

バンドルのまち Town of Bandol

めいそうセンター Meditation Center

ファントのむら Village of Fanto

ノーランドのむら Village of Noland

オルトリア Oltoria

ドルンのむら Village of Dorn

かくれざとアナン Isolated Village of Anan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:21 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
aishsha wrote:
Thanks, Aishsha! I'll plug them straight into the working ROM and be done with that little detail.

"Idol" I like it. It's accurate and 4-letter pithy, much better than "Spirit Image" or "Deity Statue".

So, instead of "Spirits", should we put "Idol" in all the menus and such?

And should the syntax in Script strings be "Earth Idol" or "Idol of Earth", for example?

I'll post the town names sometime later, when my #1 gal ("Only!!" *Slap!* "Ow...!!") isn't holding me captive much of this fine Valentine's Day!! *Squeeze* *Ooooh!!*

They actually ARE little figurines used by the protagonist. And I tried to keep them all up to 5 letters as that is better for the game menues... Play the SS1 and see my menu there - it's exactly the same in the SS2.
Down do geography. I used both Beta Village/Village of Beta - or much often just "Beta", so it doesn't really matter - they use all of them.

I will list only those you've named differently from the first two games.
ローランのむら Village of Roland
トールしんでん Temple of Thor
トランのまち Town of Tolan
めいそうセンター Pantheon
ファントのむら Village of Phanto
ノーランドのむら Village of Nowland
ドルンのむら Village of Dolun

All the others are ok.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Appreciate the solutions on the basic town list!

Here is an excerpt from the huge towns-2 list.
This one expands to specific floors, towers, houses, and rooms.
We have two Red Towers, so something is off there.
The ones on the list I didn't include are either repetitions or already resolved.

モンじいさんのいえ Jisan's House

カルモンのやしき Calmon's Mansion

ハーディのいえ Hardy's House

ようへいあっせんじょ Mercenary Base

そっきんのへや Chancellor's Room

マヌスしんでん 1F Temple of Manus 1F

グラのま Gura's room

デリトのま Delito's room

マヌスのま Manus's room

ラムルーンのま Lamurun's room

まよいのたに Valley of Illusions

ファウンこうち Faun Plateau

ズールしんでん 1F Temple of Zool 1F

ラゴンじょう 1F Ragon Castle 1F

ゾルデじょう 1F Zolde Castle 1F

ひのとう 1F Fire Tower 1F

かぜのとう 3F Wind Tower 3F

くろのとう 3F Black Tower 3F

あかのとう 4F Red Tower 4F

しろのとう 3F White Tower 3F

あおのとう 4F Red Tower 4F

まもりのどうくつ B1 Cave of Defense B1

たびだちのどうくつ Cave of Embarkation

アゴーラのどうくつ B1 Agora Cave B1

アラヌスのどうくつ B1 Alanus Cave B1

エッダのどうくつ B1 Edda Cave B1

いわのどうくつ Rock Cave

ゆきのどうくつ Snow Cave

おおとびらのどうくつ B3 Cave of Great Door B3

すなはま Sand Seashore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 am 

Here you go. The ones with "???" need some clarification as I don't remember the context and those are new characters in the series...

モンじいさんのいえ Old Mon's House

カルモンのやしき Culmon's Mansion ??????????????

ハーディのいえ Hardy's House

ようへいあっせんじょ Mercenary Guild

そっきんのへや Chancellor's Room ?????????????

マヌスしんでん 1F Temple of Manus 1F

グラのま Gula's Chamber

デリトのま Derit's Chamber

マヌスのま Manus's Chamber

ラムルーンのま Ramulun's Chamber

まよいのたに Vale of Delusion

ファウンこうち Faun's Plateau

ズールしんでん 1F Temple of Zool 1F

ラゴンじょう 1F Ragon's Castle 1F

ゾルデじょう 1F Zolde's Castle 1F

ひのとう 1F Fire Tower 1F

かぜのとう 3F Wind Tower 3F

くろのとう 3F Black Tower 3F

あかのとう 4F Red Tower 4F

しろのとう 3F White Tower 3F

あおのとう 4F Blue Tower 4F

まもりのどうくつ B1 Cave of Defense B1

たびだちのどうくつ Cave of Departure

アゴーラのどうくつ B1 Agora's Cave B1

アラヌスのどうくつ B1 Arames's Cave B1

エッダのどうくつ B1 Edda's Cave B1

いわのどうくつ Rock Cave

ゆきのどうくつ Snow Cave

おおとびらのどうくつ B3 Door Cave B3

すなはま Sandy Seashore

PS: And there aren't 2 red towers - just an error in translation )

Post subject: Re: Spot Translation Requests *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

aishsha wrote:
Here you go. The ones with "???" need some clarification as I don't remember the context and those are new characters in the series...

PS: And there aren't 2 red towers - just an error in translation )
Thank you once more, Aishsha. I hope this method of doing a few of the refinements is satisfactory to you. If so, I will post more chunks of certain menus in this thread as I have time to devote to the task. Meanwhile, Bongo`, Red Soul, and I are striving to iron out what seems like a plethora of menu bugs. In order to do this most efficiently, I am trying to load finished variables into the game in an orderly fashion so we might isolate glitches, determine line length limitation factors, etc.

In order to gain a total grasp on the story, I'm also working on polishing early dialogue in the first three towns and examining plot structures as they progress and transition throughout the game. With these thoughts in mind, I want to throw this next part into open discussion by any interested party. Some of it may contain spoilers.

At the risk of incessant rambling, I still want to begin with a thought that's been in the back of my mind for about two weeks. Eventually, I will get around to discussing the numerous poetry and songs I am discovering in this game. But I asked Red Soul a while back if "Silva" was a Brazilian (and Portuguese) name. He said not only that, it was quite common, and thus Silva Saga-II as a game title made the story sound quite mundane in his homeland. Ever since, I have tried to come up with an equally unexciting title for a similar game in America. The closest I've come up with is "The Amazing Adventures of the Smith Family (While on a Trip to Disneyland, etc.), staring Chevy Chase or the like...

Okay, now maybe I can redact that recurring Silva family adventure from my memory cells forever!

One aspect of this game I'm discovering is an unprecedented (for me) number of wandering bards, minstrels, and songsters. Most, if not all, charge money, and the higher the stipend, the better the information or benefit derived. Indeed, many important clues are being passed along through music and poetry. Now, I may be a professional writer, but I'm only an amateur poet (meaning I have paid mortgages, auto loans, groceries bills, etc., with income earned from writing). But I've yet to publish any of my poems - except a Shakespearean sonnet in iambic pentameter during high school that made the national anthology. Still, what I wrote up through college was just kid stuff and doesn't count.

Regardless, I have determined these musical encounters are literally crying out to wax poetic! Japanese doesn't translate automatically into rhyme, but blank verse doesn't require too much additional effort on my part. Nevertheless, in the buildup to Ryukaon and Ena's proposed nuptials at Toran Castle, I ran into a minstrel that was hired for the wedding whose lengthy ballad not only recapitulated the entire Silva Saga series, it encompassed the theme of incumbent Light Warrior Kyral, and it also foretold the destiny and upcoming trials of the new hero-to-be (you, the player).

Moreover, the translation of this string revealed without a doubt (in my opinion) that Silva Saga-II should have been named Silver Saga-II, but apparently the game's creators in Japan who decided to Anglicize the title on their cart and artwork were English spelling-challenged. Silver Saga would have probably sounded more exciting in Brazil, too! (Red Soul, hee-hee...!)

One stanza in the song makes it clear that the chosen Light Warrior is always clad in the blessed accouterments of Silver Armor, the legendary hero of Minelvaton's Silva Saga. What I find interesting is that when "silver" is used to define armor and such, the Japanese author penned the Kanji ideograph. 銀 But when "silver" is used with the word "saga", we see the Katakana form of silver and saga together like this: シルヴァ・サーガ (i. e. the game title in Japanese, displayed below the English title on the box and dox.

Finally, every game I've written to date appeared to have a pivotal or defining moment. For me, this balladeer's song at Toran Castle is it for Silva Saga-II, so far.

Now, many ballads contain refrains, but it's not a hard-set rule. In video games, we're limited to game screens. Instead of following a meter, I guess one might say we follow CPL and LPS (characters per line and lines per screen limitations). So, without any further discussion on my part, here's my first draft of The Ballad of Silver Saga, in rhyme (along with the other strings in the block). Any budding poet laureate out there who wishes to offer suggestions on lines and stanzas, I invite your literary input. This super game deserves an all-out quality effort in localization. Just don't forget the dual rules of CPL and LPS!

Block 129:

[sfx-09]「僕は この世界を旅する
 気楽な吟遊詩人[keyp]
「この めでたい結婚式のために
 遠い国から
 呼ばれて やってきました[keyp]
「ー曲いかがです?
 100ゴールドですが…[keyp]
[sfx-00]歌を聞きますか?

[sfx-09]I am the wandering minstrel.
People call me that because
I traipse all over the this
big, wide world.[keyp]
I have been summoned
here from a far country
to perform for this
happy wedding.[keyp]
How about I sing you a
song? I have a special
new piece, just for you,
only 100 Gold.[keyp]
[sfx-00]Will you listen to the
wandering minstrel's latest
work of art?

[sfx-09]「お金に余裕ができたら
 ぜひ聞いてくださいね

[sfx-09]Surely I'm not working
the room for too much
money... I can barely cover
expenses as it is!

[sfx-09]「それでは 聞いてください
 光の神と闇の神の戦い
 シルヴァ・サーガを…[keyp]
「ゾルデは 四つの塔に囲まれて
 邪悪な目を 光らせている[keyp]
「まるで 光を浴びた影のように
 見えない城に 住んでいる[keyp]
「光の戦士カイラルは
 力をこめて 闇を打ち砕く[keyp]
「まばゆく 白銀に輝きながら…[keyp]
「しかし ゾルデは
 ズール神の子[keyp]
「しかも弟の ラゴンを超える
 力の持ち主[keyp]
「…すべては 光の神々と
 闇の神々の間に続く 遠大な争い[keyp]
「ハーンとズールに
 選ばれた者同士の
 血みどろの戦い…[keyp]
「…すべては 北オフェーリアの東
 大海原の彼方で行なわれる争い[keyp]
「…カイラルは 守り札をおき
 最後の決戦へと おもむく…[keyp]
「自らが倒れし時
 後を継ぎし者へ 渡るように…[keyp]
「この歌は
 ミネルバトン・サーガや
 シルヴァ・サーガとよばれる
 光の戦士の物語です[keyp]
「そして歌の中には
 いくつもの なぞが
 かくされているそうです

Oh, let me tell a story,
A saga of warring lords,
One of light, the other dark,
Unleashing clashing swords.

Our Silver Saga never-ending,
Zool contained but nimble,
He flashes wicked eyes,
And the four towers tremble!

Zolde lurks in his castle,
Shadowed from the light,
Unbathed in lustrous brilliance,
That drives away the night.

Kyral, our Light Warrior,
Flung his body's power,
Driving away the gloom,
Before the dawning hour.

Shining in brilliant silver,
Reflecting hope for all,
Our Light Warrior advanced,
Always standing tall.

But devil-spawn Zolde awaits,
A child of dark god Zool,
Vilest scourge on the planet,
Unleashing golem and ghoul.

The power of Zolde festers,
Venom from his flagon,
Waiting to burst unfettered,
Exceeding Brother Ragon!

Timless, bitter quarrelling,
A feud that wages endless,
Between our god of Light,
And Zool, the god of darkness.

Yes, bloody conflict churns,
But Harn, our god of Light,
Summons forth one chosen,
Our champion in the fight.

The fracas forges onward,
Sailing across the ocean,
East of Northern Ofelia,
With devastating commotion.

Kyral donned his talisman,
With resolute eyes ahead,
Glued to distant horizon,
To his destiny, he sped.

At the fateful hour,
The Light Warrior struck,
Evil was thrown down,
Hope restored, with luck.

Of heroes in shining silver,
This is Minelvaton's tale,
A Light Warrior of legend,
Our "Silva" Saga, I regale!

Well, friend, that's all,
I know it was very long,
But many a mystery hides,
Inside my special song!

「長い歌なのに 聞いてくれて
 どうもありがとう

Though it really was quite
lengthy, thank you very
much for listening.[keyp]
In case you were wondering
how "silver" became "silva",
it's because a Northern
Ofelian wrote the novel.[keyp]
The old fellow could neither
pronounce his "R's", nor
could he spell!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 pm 

Looks real nice :) I just wanted to leave the name as it is as they spelled it quite clearly in the game manual of the SS1 and two, so I left that to the script writers' choice :) Moreover, the first game doesn't have any relations to Silver and silver items there are described with "銀". This is the first time I see the ballads in the series (frankly speaking, I haven't passed SS2 as I wanna do parallel translation to enjoy it to the fullest :)). Minelvaton Saga does have Minstrels in it, but they just tell ancient legends, they don't exactly SING in rhyme :)
Ine little remark - the main antagonist is Zuhl - the God of Darkness, but you never have a chance to confront him directly :) (and was my mispring in the previous chunk of text when I called him Zool...)
PS: I should have the intro translated somewhere - it tells the story of Zuhl's advent to Minelvaton, but as I recall, Bongo' had some problems with inserting the WHOLE intro text...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 am 
Site Admin

aishsha wrote:
Looks real nice :) I just wanted to leave the name as it is as they spelled it quite clearly in the game manual of the SS1 and two, so I left that to the script writers' choice :) Moreover, the first game doesn't have any relations to Silver and silver items there are described with "銀". This is the first time I see the ballads in the series (frankly speaking, I haven't passed SS2 as I wanna do parallel translation to enjoy it to the fullest :)). Minelvaton Saga does have Minstrels in it, but they just tell ancient legends, they don't exactly SING in rhyme :)
Ine little remark - the main antagonist is Zuhl - the God of Darkness, but you never have a chance to confront him directly :) (and was my mispring in the previous chunk of text when I called him Zool...)
PS: I should have the intro translated somewhere - it tells the story of Zuhl's advent to Minelvaton, but as I recall, Bongo' had some problems with inserting the WHOLE intro text...
Super! The invitation is still open for a real poet out there to revise this thing - as long as it keeps the meaning and fits the screen. That's the biggie!

Okay, since "Zuhl" sounds a bit Teutonic, in the name of standardization, my disclaimer goes out to all of you families of Germans, Prussians, and Russians with Germanic surnames. Any resemblance between the Prince of Darkness and your family members named "Zuhl" is purely coincidental. Hee-hee...!

Well, I looked up "Zuul" (a spook in Ghostbusters) and "Zool", a ninja gremlin in an Amiga game. That's about all I could research on those. Akujin had run with "Zool", but my own trans yielded "Zulu" (not a good choice).

Yes, and I even had to cut a few bytes more in the Intro because we were line-limited on some pages. If we could have stretched to five or six lines on each page, we could have really fleshed out things. But most pages were limited to three lines. Oh, well...

I'm not sure of the details Bongo` and you discussed, but I am really struggling with dialogue files that run between the Block 130-230 range (about 70 in all, containing from one to ten strings on average per block (less than 400 kb raw - total). Just for the sake of clarification, were you in a position to help us right away with these? If not, that's fine. We'll plod along and get to the promised land. I'm happy just to coordinate with you as we are, standardizing the characters and such.

Speaking of which - and thanking you again, here are the 80-some-odd Mercs. Again, four letters or less is good. Five is livable. Six and greater flow into bad places and make Bongo` pull out his hair. Ha!

エルミナ Elmina
ガイウス Gaius
ミルティ Mileti
ナダム Nadam
パトリア Patria
ルド Ludo
クリン Karyn
ジグリッド Siegfried
エイシャ Aisha
フーバ Fubar
リュラ Ryula
ジン Jin
サラ Sarah
レックス Rex
ジュリア Julia
スカイラ Skylad
リルフィ Liluf
ニッカル Nikka
メイム Meim
ブレイク Blake
フルル Fulul
セブル Sebul
エレナ Elena
フラガン Flaga
ライラ Lyla
ジクムント Siegmont
ヌシキ Nushiki
ランナード Lannad
アリエナ Ariena
クスター Custer
サフィー Safinu
エリアン Elian
ピリカ Pilika
マートン Marton
ヒルダ Hilda
ムーンリド Moonride
イルシナ Ilsina
アンダス Andas
キーナ Keena
リグラム Liglam
サブリナ Sabrina
ラッセル Russel
ピピ Pipi
ダグナー Dagnar
ネシア Neshia
セナル Senal
バルビ Barbie
プロス Pulos
パエッタ Paetta
ウォーレ Wallace
シェーラ Shelagh
ブガロ Bugalo
ラム Lamu
ガリュウ Garyu
エルビナ Elbina
オーエン Owen
エルダ Elda
バリエル Barrier
アムネ Amune
ミドラン Midolance
ミルディ Mildie
グラント Grant
シトロン Citron
アウロス Auros
レイ Ray
ネフティル Neftil
クヌム Kunumu
スパッド Spudd
ネフィリ Nefilia
ランドル Randle
ミューニ Myunya
レンツォ Renzo
リマ Lima
パットン Patton
ロッティ Lotty
アントロ Antros
レミイ Remy
ドラン Dolan
キリエ Kyrie
リュウ Ryu
ファナ Fana
アレイ Arie
ルーナ Luna

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next