Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post subject: Re: Silva Saga-II(e) Production Status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:01 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Here's the last paragraph.

So that's my humble song,
Where many a mystery hide,
But now I must say so long,
Take everything in stride!
Got it... That's two in the can. Thanks!

BTW, world, Bongo` solved the mystery of the battle lockups with the Griffin's.
He also traced why certain item names are getting truncated. It seems that allowed name lengths are random in the same file.
Solution? Shorten a few name lengths. Funky, funky Annette Funicello!! Well, everything's working fine in the game up to Endel now, I think...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:32 pm 

Here are the final two.

With his Talisman in hand,
Kyral's fate was drawing near,
Time to make his stand,
To his destiny with no fear.

Of heroes in shining silver,
This is Minelvaton's tale,
Something only I can deliver,
Our "Silva" Saga, I regale!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Here are the final two.

With his Talisman in hand,
Kyral's fate was drawing near,
Time to make his stand,
To his destiny with no fear.

Of heroes in shining silver,
This is Minelvaton's tale,
Something only I can deliver,
Our "Silva" Saga, I regale!
Heh, I wasn't gonna say anything first, but 12+2... and yeah - the real can! So, is the last paragraph the actual last paragraph? I suppose I can compare the old and the new and answer that for myself.

Anyway, would you like to see V0.34 just for giggles and grins? It plays fairly cleanly up to Endel. Advanced menu work's ongoing, and we had a few SNAFUs in Altena, but those should be ironed out now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:39 pm 

I did a bit of skipping around towards the end. You'll have to look at the old one.

I can see no reason to not accept your offer for .34, but I don't think I'd do more than briefly check it out. My limited gaming attention is going towards Demon's Souls so that I can unlock everything before Dark Souls comes out in early October. I've owned the game since it came out, but never really got very far into it until recently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
I did a bit of skipping around towards the end. You'll have to look at the old one.

I can see no reason to not accept your offer for .34, but I don't think I'd do more than briefly check it out. My limited gaming attention is going towards Demon's Souls so that I can unlock everything before Dark Souls comes out in early October. I've owned the game since it came out, but never really got very far into it until recently.
I just inserted the whole piece in order. Your work dials up at Ena's wedding to Prince Ryukaon in the Kingdom of Toran. A traveling bard in the audience sings it. That's Chapter 29 of 54, and I'm working in Chapter 19, so I won't see it for a while.

As for early game play in Beta Village and environs, the caves and dungeon's don't display logos and floor numbers at the moment (and possibly other locales). That's a technical matter Bongo` is fixing as soon as possible.

But no matter how far you want to go, we'll take beta reports on anything you see needing attention.

Check your PM later tonight. Meanwhile, enjoy Demon's Souls, and thanks for the song!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 am 
Site Admin

BTW: Nice work on the song WildBill. I didn't scrutinize the original translation vs. the rewrite, but the rewrite flows very nicely and does not sound awkward at all. Way to go!

I have a grammar suggestion. I would suggest that "God" in the context of the song can probably be capitalized at least when/if it's being used as a name.

I just googled this: http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexis ... zation.htm which discusses the issue, a bit at length, but pretty much hits on the issues. This line pretty much sums it up: "It's not unlike a person who has named their cat, Cat."

I'd say if the god is named Dark God or God of Light, then it should be capitalized as such, but if we are just referring to the god of light who's real name is Joe, we should probably just capitalize Joe, such as "Joe, the dark god."

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
BTW: Nice work on the song WildBill. I didn't scrutinize the original translation vs. the rewrite, but the rewrite flows very nicely and does not sound awkward at all. Way to go!

I have a grammar suggestion. I would suggest that "God" in the context of the song can probably be capitalized at least when/if it's being used as a name.

I just googled this: http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexis ... zation.htm which discusses the issue, a bit at length, but pretty much hits on the issues. This line pretty much sums it up: "It's not unlike a person who has named their cat, Cat."

I'd say if the god is named Dark God or God of Light, then it should be capitalized as such, but if we are just referring to the god of light who's real name is Joe, we should probably just capitalize Joe, such as "Joe, the dark god."
I'll study on this more. The Chicago Manual of Style (writers' bible) doesn't really get into capitalization rules for pagan mythology, but all proper names i. e. "Zeus", "Minerva", "Zuhl", and "Harn" are always capitalized. The Japanese author appears to treat the terms "The Light" and "The Darkness" as proper names. I'm trying to walk a tightrope with this and go that way part of the time, and that may be adding to the confusion. Perhaps the best solution is to make everything except Harn, Zuhl, and other proper names lower case. The Manual of Style does suggest that in certain cases. What I would really prefer is to have italics for this game and use constructions such the light and the darkness to emphasize these are more than mere shades of color.

As for the term, god, in this story, no character is called that name alone. We have Harn, god of Light (now, light) and Zuhl, god of darkness. I'll check the translation on Zuhl. It may turn out that he can properly be called demon.

Here's a quote pulled from a source on mythology: "Mars was Roman god of war, the son of Juno and a magical flower (or Jupiter). As the word has no Indo-European derivation, it is most likely the Latinized version of the Etruscan god, Maris." http://www.crystalinks.com/marsrome.html

Would you like to look over the working ROM and see more of the SS-II progress so far?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:10 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Would you like to look over the working ROM and see more of the SS-II progress so far?

Nah, I'm good. To tell you the truth I just started editing WtPC2 in earnest and I probably wouldn't try it for a bit. I just thought the capitalization of light but not god stuck out and wanted to bring it up. I'll leave it up to you and anyone else working on that script to judge from there.

It makes me of Death Note though. The main character in that is named "Light Yagami". His real name is probably "Hikari" spelled with the kanji for "Light" and his parents decide it's fun to actually pronounce the kanji in English.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:46 am 
Site Admin

Here is Garrett's song - edited to fit your TV screen!

Garrett, give me your final edits on your piece, por favor!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:04 pm 

Beautiful work you guys! Your dedication to there projects is astonishing. I'm looking forward to playing these games just as much as any Xenoblade Chronicles. Keep up the great work and good job everyone! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next