Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: Aretha Translation and Production
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 am 

Thanks for working so hard on this Filler, even when you have to take into account all of the other duties in life.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Admin

It is my pleasure, and you guys are right, the end is in sight! I've basically finished up the translation (the enemy descriptions were pretty killer :( ) and I'm moving to the checking/editing phase.

Speaking of which, I feel like I've asked this before but I can't find it. Do we know the proper way to use white-space in the lines?

[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW]"Welcome![X=$07]What would you like?
[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW] "Welcome![X=$07]What would you like?
[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW] "Welcome![X=$07] What would you like?

Out of the three examples above, is one of them correct (1. no spaces, 2. space after [SHOW], 3. space after [SHOW] and [X=$07]) or is it something else entirely? As I'm going through the whole script anyway, I can change these as I go to save you guys some trouble during the rewriting phase.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
It is my pleasure, and you guys are right, the end is in sight! I've basically finished up the translation (the enemy descriptions were pretty killer :( ) and I'm moving to the checking/editing phase.

Speaking of which, I feel like I've asked this before but I can't find it. Do we know the proper way to use white-space in the lines?

[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW]"Welcome![X=$07]What would you like?
[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW] "Welcome![X=$07]What would you like?
[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW] "Welcome![X=$07] What would you like?

Out of the three examples above, is one of them correct (1. no spaces, 2. space after [SHOW], 3. space after [SHOW] and [X=$07]) or is it something else entirely? As I'm going through the whole script anyway, I can change these as I go to save you guys some trouble during the rewriting phase.

Just to add a bit of info to this topic. The [X=$07] code actually adds 7 pixels of white space to the VWF routine. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. Does that mean we could change it to [x=$03] or something if we wanted narrower white space?

That didn't really answer my question though. :) I realize we may not know the answer yet. If so I can just leave it as is and let the folks doing script editing/rewriting so adjust spaces as necessary. Speaking of which, do we have anyone lined up to play test and edit Aretha?

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:04 am 
Site Admin

filler, the way spaces work with bongo`s inserters typically is this. A space in a file is a space on screen. As long as the space falls between the .TEXT and .ENDT it will wind up on screen. If there isn't a space in the file, there isn't a space on screen. The files don't need the space there to help with formatting.

Now, considering that is how it usually is, I'm 99% sure that 1 is the proper choice.

Sorry, if that sounded preachy or something, it wasn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:50 am 
Site Admin

I'm leaning towards what Taskfroce just wrote, but I guess we'll have to wait on Bongo` to pipe back in ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 am 
Site Admin

You know, after looking at that again, my bad, 2 is right.

With that said, though, why is there a " in there? There isn't a second one anywhere that I see.

Instead, wouldn't it be:

[HIDE][PINK]Weaponsmith[WHITE][SHOW]: Welcome![X=$07]What would you like?

(the x=$07 is taking the place of the space after ! from what bongo` chimed in, though why we aren't just using a space is beyond me, maybe it is just this screen needs this. bongo` really needs to give the final verdict why this is how it is. But I'm betting 2 is the best bet out of the original three.)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

; [HIDE][PINK]武器屋[WHITE][SHOW]「いらっしゃい![X=$07]何がほしいんだい?

The " is from the character 「 in the original line which is used for quotes. There is info on it here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_typographic_symbols#Brackets_and_quotation_marks

I found the lack of closing quote odd too but I assumed that might be added automatically. I could certainly change this to : if we need.

I appreciate the input on the white-space. I'll go with number 2 for now until I hear otherwise.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

So a little more info on this. I got curious so I booted up the game. It uses this character strangely. It's used after the speaking character's name is displayed, but it's also used at the start of some lines by the same character.

It almost seems to act more like a paragraph indicator than a colon or quote. That is the best I can figure. I'm thinking maybe we should leave it out?

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 am 

This is for Bongo' and the guys.

Regarding the item screen, might I suggest going for a 1 item per column if you have the screen space. I can't tell from the screenshot, but typically there is a row reserved for dakuten that results in an extra row above items. That can be used to your benefit. I've done this with other games and have had great success removing space limitations with items.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next