Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aretha Save Files
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:47 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it has been increasingly preventing me from completing the game. The past few boss battles have turned to the point where I can not him any of them physically (it just does a miss sound) and while magic hits them, it seems like it is doing little damage. Raising levels seems to make the problem worse, to get by Zyholt at the sacred mountain, I had to equip my worst weapons to finally be able to hit him. This strategy did not work on the next boss though, every physical hit missed by every character regardless of whether I powered them up. By using magic I was barely able to sneak past the boss. Handling regular enemies works fine, but the boss battles are becoming impossible.

I was wondering if anyone could share an Aretha save file in the last section of the game where Fang can fly. Any other suggestions of what might be the issue would be greatly appreciated too. I haven't seen any cheats that might help get around this. I would like to beat this before trying Aretha 2.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post subject: Re: Aretha Save Files
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:01 am 
Site Admin

It has been a long while since I played this but it is probably one of two things. First, the boss battles ramped up a bunch towards the end of the game. And there are those that do not respond to physical attacks if memory serves. Second, if you used any cheat codes during the playing of the game, this game can have strange side effects after the use of codes. I can't say for sure what the issue might be, but I'd bet it is one of these two things. The only other thing I can think is the patch applied to a bad rom dump. I kind of remember back in the day this happening when the patch was applied to a rom floating around that was improperly dumped/had the wrong CRC. This is why we highly suggest using a patch system that verifies CRC before application like bps or xdelta. Ips can't verify you have the proper rom. Not saying you didn't use one of these, just throwing possibilities out there. Anyway, that is all I can say. It has been way too long since I've worked with/played this game.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:43 am 

Hi, taskforce and ultpaladin. I hope you've all been well this year :)

@ultpaladin: Yeah, it's possible any of the things taskforce said could cause strange behavior, but if you're sure you have the right rom patched, it should work fine.

Anyway, I still have all my save files from the beta testing, so I've uploaded a save file for you for use in either Higan or ZSNES/ZSNESW. This save file is right after defeating Basim and returning to Port Lorraine (which is right after Fang learns to fly).

Here's the link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gd7fmxp9kfe245t/Aretha+Save+File+(Port+Lorraine).zip/file

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:30 pm 

Thanks for the file, I'm still not sure what's causing the constant missing for physical attacks for boss type characters but at least for some of them I was able to put them asleep and then attack them. The most headscratching battle was the one where I switched to substantially weaker weapons and then I was able to attack. I'll keep trying with the save I have been using and if I hit another wall, I'll try to other save file.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons