Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shiren the Wanderer by AG - Game Manual Upload (Japanese)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:50 am 
Site Admin

This is another cart I just dug out that has been stored for 10 years. Again, the reason I'm uploading a manual for a game we are not listing at D-D is because several of us have a history of involvement with it. Shiren was a Magic-Destiny project once, back during the time when Taskforce, Draken, Bongo`, Akujin, Necrosaro, I, and others were working on early translations. As we began phasing down our activities, I passed a file of Shiren data to Gideon Zhi, consisting of two table files with dialogue Kanji, a raw script dump in EUC format, and a partial translation by Alan Kwan.

Okay, Gid, I finally got around to scanning the manual. Here it is, in case you have a use for it.

Since there was no Shiren world map in this manual, for eyewash this time, I am displaying pages 40 and 41 from the Shiren manual, my favorite pages therein, hee-hee...! Yes, Shiren the Wanderer and Taloon's Great Adventure are both rogue-style dungeon-crawlers created by ChunSoft-Enix, and the authors of the Shiren manual saw fit to tout some of their other works toward the end of the booklet.

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/shiren/Sh ... Manual.zip

Post subject: Re: Shiren the Wanderer by AG - Game Manual Upload (Japanese)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:23 am 

Its just a wild guess here but, since Shiren was remade for the DS, I wonder if the manuals would be potentially similar? just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:17 am 

Hey, thanks for this. Dunno if I'll ever really do anything with it, but still. I do have an original of the game (as well as several others; can post the full list if anyone's really interested) but I don't have a scanner, so...

I know you were originally concerned about the quality of the patch and/or script. I hope those concerns have been allayed, at least some. I'm especially proud of the graphical work done on the game!
Image Image
Image Image

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Hey, thanks for this. Dunno if I'll ever really do anything with it, but still. I do have an original of the game (as well as several others; can post the full list if anyone's really interested) but I don't have a scanner, so...

I know you were originally concerned about the quality of the patch and/or script. I hope those concerns have been allayed, at least some. I'm especially proud of the graphical work done on the game!

I'll admit I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to crafting stories, especially with games that have a huge fan base based on a related prequel or anime following. Shiren broke new ground there, as far as I know, but our Taloon had a model in NES Dragon Warrior-IV that I tried to follow.

Our graphics and font work, naturally, was either crafted or polished by Taskforce. I roughed-in the staircase symbol and modified those big tall numerals. In some cases, we converted the sprite font to stacked 8X8s (i. e. Dungeon Floor). Our Taloon patch with the refined graphics work in my illustration has never been released, pending the finishing touches of mending the Introduction, adding the English title page, inserting the splash page, and trying to fix the naming bug in the Bonus Dungeon.

I have never gotten around to playing either Shiren version that's out there, but Taloon is quite addictive!

As for the manual, ya never know. Some Shiren lover could show up and decide to translate it. Since you don't have a scanner, at least that step is solved.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:19 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:

Image Image
Image Image

Hey... I betcha there is an accessible debugger for this game. Might be similar to TnD's debugger. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Bongo' loves his debuggers! :lol: