Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: About Little Master III...
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Interesting, thanks for clearing up that info about Mystic Ark, Taskforce. I had no idea that Gideon Zhi got his initial resources from D-D. It was listed on AGTP's project list for a long while, so I assumed that he had started his translation first. Sorry about the confusion and thanks again for the clarification. Well, all of that is in the past now. So I suppose that it's indeed best to look past it now after all.

And thanks as well Wildbill, I'm glad to be a part of this great team. I honestly think that this is the best translation group, both past and present. It's an honor to be able to work alongside such honest, knowledgeable and hard working folks. If time permits, I hope that we'll be able to continue working together on translation projects like this for many more years to come. If only we could recruit a main romhacker and translator, our problems would be solved. But regardless of that, we still have our current projects to focus on for now.

About Princess Minerva, I got so caught up in all of this that I forgot to comment on it. Honestly speaking, I don't really know much about this game. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I'll certainly take a look at it and get back to you on that latter on. By the way, after taking a quick look through a random playthrough video of it on Youtube, I noticed that some of the text in battles seems to be cut-off from the screen on the right side. Take a look at this video starting at time frame 25:00 to see what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok4gyOC9Q7o
Was this cut-off text in battle missed before release or is this person playing using an older version of the patch? The uploaded video's date is Jan 23, 2018.

Speaking of which, I still have the Burning Heroes text inserter that Wildbill sent me back in 2012, but I haven't yet gotten started on it. Even though I love this game, the idea of translating its massive script into Romanian and then beta testing all eight scenarios again like I had done for the English version years before seems a bit overwhelming as of now. But I do plan on getting to it eventually when I have some more free time available. For now though, I'd prefer to focus on translating games with a smaller script size that would also allow me the time to work on our English projects as well if needed.

Record of Lodoss War would also be an interesting game to translate if I had the inserter for it, but it's also got a rather large script, so I'm not in any kind of hurry to start on it right away. Secret of Mana could potentially be a good project to take on as well, as it seems to be rather popular with most Romanian SNES fans. However, I don't have the proper translation tools for it. I only found one called "somedit" at RHDN, but it's very bug prone and incomplete. As for other potential projects, I still also have the inserter for Galaxy Robo from Draken, so I could take on that project instead. The script is quite small compared to most RPGs, but it's a rather difficult game to playthrough when beta testing.

Power of the Hired would be an even better choice, but it looks as if the text glitches might prove to be potentially troublesome. The two Daikaijuu Monogatari games would also be good choices as well. But again, the scripts are both pretty long. Hmm... I'll take a closer look at all of these various options and get back to you when I've made a decision. Thank you both for the consideration, by the way. There's a lot of interesting games to choose from that would deserve to be translated into Romanian as well. I'll try to see which games are the most popular with the Romanian fans in the retro gaming communities that I could translate (if I can obtain the proper tools available). Chrono Trigger seems to have been the biggest hit with them so far, which is probably not surprising since it's one of the most well known and popular SNES games of all time.

And if by some chance you read this Gideon Zhi, I just wanted to let you know that I'm not trying to attack you personally or anything like that. I respect the fact that you've put so much hard work into releasing all of AGTP's translations, but I firmly believe that you need to tone down some of your "antics" in lack of better words. There's not really any point in alienating yourself from your own fan base and upsetting so many people in such a way either. You could always try asking for additional help if needed on your projects. Regardless, I know that this really isn't any of my business and that you're free to do as you please, so I'll stop here and drop this subject.

Little Master III is an interesting looking strategy RPG with a very light feel to it that would definitely deserve a proper English translation. There isn't really any "rule" about different groups releasing multiple translations of a game. Though, it appears as if this was abandoned anyway since it's not even on AGTP's project list. Wildbill, if you still have those insertion tools that were mentioned on the first page of this thread and are okay with it, I could try translating the remaining text using my basic knowledge of Japanese along with an automatic translator such as DeepL and an online dictionary like Jisho. Or even better, maybe we could contact Eien Ni Hen and get the translated script from her if possible. It's just an idea though if no one else decides to take on this project. There's no point in letting her hard work go to waste after all.
I agree that our best games have lengthy scripts, so give it some thought. No pressure!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that is an older version of the Minerva patch and that was fixed up in later revisions. And I don't mind sending along Power, just know that its really touchy. :) Sometimes lines have to be adjusted to stop the game from going really haywire.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:31 am 
Site Admin

I've found a text editor called "Vice Campbell" by DackR on RHDN if anyone is interested in working on translating this game:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/872/

There's also an incomplete beta 2 patch available:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1744/

If you guys are interested, we could use this utility and partial patch as a base to finish translating this game like we did with Record of Lodoss War years ago. That translation was quite a hit and I feel as though this one could very well be too. Taskforce seems like he could use this program well. Filler or Eien Ni Hen could finish translating the rest of the script, or we could just use an online translator such as DeepL. Wildbill and I could assume the role of story writer and script editor respectively. Then we could look for beta testers here, a role which I would take on as well.

I'm working on translating Galaxy Robo into Romanian right now, but I'm about halfway done with it. So what do you guys think? Do you feel like possibly taking on this project? I mean, the release of this tool seems like further evidence that Gideon Zhi has abandoned this project long ago. Bongo` had a hand in working on this game as well. We could dedicate this translation to him if we choose to take on this project. So, what's the final verdict...?

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I've found a text editor called "Vice Campbell" by DackR on RHDN if anyone is interested in working on translating this game:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/872/

There's also an incomplete beta 2 patch available:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1744/

If you guys are interested, we could use this utility and partial patch as a base to finish translating this game like we did with Record of Lodoss War years ago. That translation was quite a hit and I feel as though this one could very well be too. Taskforce seems like he could use this program well. Filler or Eien Ni Hen could finish translating the rest of the script, or we could just use an online translator such as DeepL. Wildbill and I could assume the role of story writer and script editor respectively. Then we could look for beta testers here, a role which I would take on as well.

I'm working on translating Galaxy Robo into Romanian right now, but I'm about halfway done with it. So what do you guys think? Do you feel like possibly taking on this project? I mean, the release of this tool seems like further evidence that Gideon Zhi has abandoned this project long ago. Bongo` had a hand in working on this game as well. We could dedicate this translation to him if we choose to take on this project. So, what's the final verdict...?
If everyone agrees. I’m up for it. Does the main text include Kanji?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:

After quickly watching a video on YouTube, I'd say that it does have Kanji in the main dialog text.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

After quickly watching a video on YouTube, I'd say that it does have Kanji in the main dialog text.
I can probably handle it easier than Odysselya-I was for me (if a real translator isn’t available). I guess the next question concerns whether all of the Japanese has been dumped.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I don't think Little Master 3 was ever listed on the website. I even have an old copy of the site from back when it was all HTML, and I don't have a copy of an lm3 page. I also have a full dump of all the news once it transitioned to a sql backend, and it isn't mentioned in the news anywhere either. I know I deleted a few pages when I dropped a couple of projects (you mentioned RS2, Sutte Hakkun, etc) but I didn't remove the related news items. At one point I'd agreed to work on it as a favor to DaMarsMan, but the actual files weren't... well, the translation was in a Word .doc file. It wasn't complete, and it wasn't an actual script dump, it was just a transcription. From what I can remember the game's actual text is embedded in a scripting language that makes it a pain in the butt to dump. Eventually DaMarsMan returned (I think he was in the military for a while) and resumed work on it. Not sure what happened after that. This was years ago though and I do still have the folder with the stuff, and it looks like there was an Atlas-format script dumped by g8z et al that's probably what Eien translated. Again though, not sure what happened with DaMarsMan and it was really always *his* project, so...

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=12632.40

It's now confirmed, he never really did anything substantial with this game after all... I guess this gives us the official green light to begin working on this if everyone agrees. It would be nice if someone could ask him for the files that he has which were translated by Eien Ni Hen. I would do it, but I'm probably the last person that he wants to hear from (assuming that he's read through this thread). Regardless, we don't know how usable these files are or if he would even give them to us, but it's at least worth a shot.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry I haven't gotten with you guys on this, I just don't have the time at the moment to look into it. I'll try to as soon as I can but I suspect that tool is incomplete.