Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Inspiration
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:01 am 

If Bongo's interested, I wouldn't mind some help with Arabian Nights. The big thing would be creating an insertion system for the game that isn't buggy. It's hard to find good help these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:01 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
If Bongo's interested, I wouldn't mind some help with Arabian Nights. The big thing would be creating an insertion system for the game that isn't buggy. It's hard to find good help these days.
Would you be interested in a joint project approach, or do you feel you have everything else handled?

An added edit. Oh, and I should mention that Bongo` frequently redesigns the insertion system as many as half a dozen times before we derive a version that works elegantly with all of the translated blocks crunched in. So many vagaries usually crop up along the way that we never anticipated while working our way excruciatingly toward a V0.99+ beta. That is where our team approach to a sprawling game challenge proves invaluable, so we don't task one person beyond the point of exhaustion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:06 am 

Well, currently it's just me on the project and it takes more than person to finish a project of this size and caliber. So, a joint project sounds reasonable, but I'd like to take the lead on most of the aspects of the project. Haven't had too much experience with the whole group thing, but I always try to be reasonable and not act like a spoiled child.

Might only need to do the insertion system once as Kammedo appeared to have that down except his inserter wasn't perfect. Of course that would depend on Bongo' analyzing the english ROM and deciding if he wanted to incorporate any of its hacks/ideas. Pretty sure the ROM was expanded though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Well, currently it's just me on the project and it takes more than person to finish a project of this size and caliber. So, a joint project sounds reasonable, but I'd like to take the lead on most of the aspects of the project. Haven't had too much experience with the whole group thing, but I always try to be reasonable and not act like a spoiled child.

Might only need to do the insertion system once as Kammedo appeared to have that down except his inserter wasn't perfect. Of course that would depend on Bongo' analyzing the english ROM and deciding if he wanted to incorporate any of its hacks/ideas. Pretty sure the ROM was expanded though.
If the group supports a joint project, the way it works with us, the project lead sets the pace and determines what assistance he wants from everyone else. On paper, this may sound rather formal, but our teamwork is so well-oiled, everything is generally automatic and relaxed. The work usually clicks along smoothly because the infectious enthusiasm that a tough project-coming-together generates for each of us overrides everything else. That's not to say we never have a debate over some detail that comes close to creating a momentary impasse, but the most contentious deliberation we ever had around this place was over our name change from Stealth-MD to D-D!

So, if everything works out, not only do you retain the lead, Garrett, your name goes first on all of the splash pages and documentation. That's the way we did things with Filler and Slayers. Later, after Matt took on the additional responsibilities of translating the Aretha-I and II dumps, we invited him to became a core member of D-D. I do hope it works out, because this super game would be a real plus in the English RPG world. Also, it would be good to work together because otherwise, I'm afraid so much time will pass that Bongo` may forget how to write SNES code, hee-hee...!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 pm 

Now that's an interesting turn of events.
Arabian Nights has always been one of those big names on every classic RPG gamer's wishlist so it would be most pleasant to
be able to help the project see fruition.
Indeed, everything should proceed smoothly, as I've had the pleasure of aiding Garrett in the past with his betatesting
of Ganbare Goemon and it turned out rather well, so it will be nice and fair to have him helm AA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 am 

Great news! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:02 am 

Chiming in a bit late on this, but Arabian Nights, FEoEZ, and Traverse have all been on my short-list of games I'd like to see completed one day. Great news if any of these see some good work done on them.

I actually looked at Elfaria games a long time ago. From a technical standpoint, they may be the least complicated of the bunch, but I just couldn't get into the gameplay for either of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:18 am 

I looked at Elfaria a few weeks ago, actually. At first it looks like a relatively simple hack - but then you realize that oh @#$%, it has a recursive dictionary, and figuring out exactly where the text begins and how it gets various bits is a *royal* pain in the ass. If I could have dumped it in an afternoon I would have, but beyond that point it was just too much effort for too few returns, especially when I have so many other things on my plate.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:34 am 

Dark Half had something similar; one of the main reasons the script went undumped for so long... that and a 900+ character table... *grumble* Huge PITA at first, but once I figured out how it worked, I've been able to use its dictionary to hide bits of text that won't fit in a text bank in other areas of the rom. It'd be a jumbled mess for anyone to go in and try to re-export the english script, though!

I just couldn't get into playing Elfaria... anything redeeming enough about the game to warrent a second look?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 am 

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I looked at Elfaria a few weeks ago, actually. At first it looks like a relatively simple hack - but then you realize that oh @#$%, it has a recursive dictionary, and figuring out exactly where the text begins and how it gets various bits is a *royal* pain in the ass. If I could have dumped it in an afternoon I would have, but beyond that point it was just too much effort for too few returns, especially when I have so many other things on my plate.

Didn't j2e have a dump of Elfaria II up forever on their site, hoping for a translator? I'd imagine if they could do it way back then (with less developed tools, etc.), it wouldn't be too difficult.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next