Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bakumatsu Korinden Oni 2 + Traverse Starlight & Prarie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
This might be the one you're looking for?
The prototype Bongo` showed me was similar and indeed fomatted vwf, but it had certain other really nifty characteristics that I probably shouldn't describe in too great of detail, given that Bongo` hasn't released it yet.

I will say that I believe his tool would interface directly with our batch programs that recompile raw ROMs each time we modify or add any sort of file to the patch creation process. Having a real-time display feature could save me a half dozen or more re-writes. It might enable me to polish an English story for a typical RPG in three months instead of six months because fully half of my time is spent going back and forth and replaying screens and scenes over and over. In situations such as Chaos Seed, however, a game with dozens of perturbations that require multiple deep backtracking evolutions, no sophisticated tool could speed up that one!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
KingMike wrote:
The prototype Bongo` showed me was similar and indeed fomatted vwf, but it had certain other really nifty characteristics that I probably shouldn't describe in too great of detail, given that Bongo` hasn't released it yet.

I will say that I believe his tool would interface directly with our batch programs that recompile raw ROMs each time we modify or add any sort of file to the patch creation process. Having a real-time display feature could save me a half dozen or more re-writes. It might enable me to polish an English story for a typical RPG in three months instead of six months because fully half of my time is spent going back and forth and replaying screens and scenes over and over. In situations such as Chaos Seed, however, a game with dozens of perturbations that require multiple deep backtracking evolutions, no sophisticated tool could speed up that one!

Ahh, I remember that tool. The tool you are speaking of, WildBill, is actually a game specific tool
in which I planned to make universal in some fashion. It would have installed a basic border chip set
and load our very own game font files using a scripting system. :)

I think this was a picture from the editor ( or one of them )

Attachments:
editor.PNG
editor.PNG [ 29.25 KiB | Viewed 6443 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Ahh, I remember that tool. The tool you are speaking of, WildBill, is actually a game specific tool
in which I planned to make universal in some fashion. It would have installed a basic border chip set

Yeah, that's the tool! What was it some people used to say on Zophar's that made a few people crazy. Oh, yeah... I need it!!

BTW, I have translated even more on you-know-what, things I can handle. The shop menus are slowly coming to life (huge block - #008, up to 57.8 kb right now - with everything)! I'll need to update your files again soon. I have the partially or fully translated block total up to 184 now. Remaining are 91 blocks, but these are some of the lengthy ones. To give you a better feel for what I've inserted new, I have used 8200 of my 50,000 bytes.

Here's one of my favorite Strings...

[clrs]
[sfx-0B]「やだあ! お客さんたら
 お金が 足りませんよー[keyp]

Heh, this little word (たら) tacked onto another word as a suffix, usually a proper name or a noun, (in the second word) means "you exasperate me!".
The first part of that word (お客さん) means visitor, guest or customer. It took me a while to crack this one because of multiple meanings for (たら).
Translating it to English, the fact you are in a shop as a customer is a given, so I wrote it:

[clrs]
[sfx-0B]It irritates me when people
try to buy something and
they don't have the money![keyp]

Now, whenever I test the shop, this one gets chuckles out of me. In the past, I might have written it in boring phraseology such as:

You're short of money.
Go earn some more Gold
and come back then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Yeah, that's the tool! What was it some people used to say on Zophar's that made a few people crazy. Oh, yeah... I need it!!

BTW, I have translated even more on you-know-what, things I can handle. The shop menus are slowly coming to life (huge block - #008, up to 57.8 kb right now - with everything)! I'll need to update your files again soon. I have the partially or fully translated block total up to 184 now. Remaining are 91 blocks, but these are some of the lengthy ones. To give you a better feel for what I've inserted new, I have used 8200 of my 50,000 bytes.

[clrs]
[sfx-0B]「やだあ! お客さんたら
 お金が 足りませんよー[keyp]

Heh, this little word (たら) tacked onto another word as a suffix, usually a proper name or a noun, (in the second word) means "you exasperate me!".
The first part of that word (お客さん) means visitor, guest or customer. It took me a while to crack this one because of multiple meanings for (たら).
Translating it to English, the fact you are in a shop as a customer is a given, so I wrote it:

[clrs]
try to buy something and

Now, whenever I test the shop, this one gets chuckles out of me. In the past, I might have written it in boring phraseology such as:

You're short of money.
Go earn some more Gold
and come back then.

Bah, you're too nice. I'd be more like.

[clrs]
[sfx-0B]Don't make me get the
darn thing out if you can't
even afford to buy it![keyp]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
KingMike wrote:

[clrs]
[sfx-0B]「やだあ! お客さんたら
 お金が 足りませんよー[keyp]

[clrs]
try to buy something and

You're short of money.
Go earn some more Gold
and come back then.

Bah, you're too nice. I'd be more like.

[clrs]
[sfx-0B]Don't make me get the
darn thing out if you can't
even afford to buy it![keyp]
Heh, what really got me about this "literal" trans that took 15 extra minutes to dig out the complete meaning was the fact that Shopkeepers in Japanese RPGs are usually so obeisant, almost bowing and scraping with every other breath! Here, we have this crabby old woman keeping store who doesn't mind insulting the future hero who everyone else is pampering. She knows she can't run off his business because he has nowhere else to shop. He must defeat a cave, get a canoe, cross a swamp, and then he hits the nearest town. In other words, he's a captive for Herbs. The ol' grammaw knows that, so the plot element fits perfectly, and she gives him "what's-fer" for being inattentive. I love it!

I know a lot about this game I didn't know three days ago. I translated the whole post-battle ending sequence last night (Block 211). The plot is falling neatly into place. It's gonna be a great game even though... *SPOILER* The mercenaries make it a bit too easy in the beginning. I haven't seen it yet, but I translated one sequence in which the hero apparently releases a mouse from a trap. The men-mercenaries present go ape with fright, and the mouse can actually speak Japanese (English, now)! The mouse makes a smart-a$$ remark about "manly soldiers." Cracked me up!! One man decided he didn't want a cold draft beer after all, and he beats feet out the door! Ha! Ha! Reminds me of Slayers humor!