Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Madou Monogatari I and Lady Sword
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:06 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
If you do not already know, I released an English language patch for Lady Sword on Monday! Yay! Pertinent details at RHDN.
Holy cow, Matt!! Now I know what's really going on in Lady Sword!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 am 

From what I recall of working on Puzzle Boy, while mednafen has debugging tools to make a translation possible, it wasn't as user-friendly as the tools for NES and SNES.
(I have memories of having to piece together disassemblies (or maybe it was trace logs that stripped out repeated code) to form code. I'm use to the "blindly log everything" trace log option.)
Same can be said of Gens Tracer. It's certainly got the functionality needed to do Genesis hacking (combined with a Gens savestate viewer program I forget the name of at the moment to check the graphics-related data), but putting the logging options into the GUI would have made it easier to use.

I don't know if I'm several years too late in asking, but could WindHex's "Hide ZSNES headers" coding allow for user definitions of file types/header sizes to hide. (Gens savestates are similar in that they are (I think) 0x478 bytes of header data and then an uncompressed memory dump of the 64K RAM and then 64K VRAM)

(I use FCEUX and XD SP (for FDS) for NES and ZSNES and Geiger's Tracer for SNES.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
filler wrote:
If you do not already know, I released an English language patch for Lady Sword on Monday! Yay! Pertinent details at RHDN.
Holy cow, Matt!! Now I know what's really going on in Lady Sword!!

And there is nothing phallic whatsoever about fighting to the top of a tower to get a "Lady Sword". ;)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 am 

filler wrote:
Cyber Knight (I think this has a SNES release as well)

Also a sequel! I hacked both :D They're really cool games, RPGs with strategy-battle interfaces. The first one is kind of slow and it's really easy to get lost, but the sequel basically fixes all of the problems with the first game while adding a whole bunch of new features. It's easily one of the best games I've hacked.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Also a sequel! I hacked both :D They're really cool games, RPGs with strategy-battle interfaces. The first one is kind of slow and it's really easy to get lost, but the sequel basically fixes all of the problems with the first game while adding a whole bunch of new features. It's easily one of the best games I've hacked.

Oh, way to go! It looked like a really cool game. From your endorsement I can tell that it was not merely an appearance. It doesn't seem like the PCE version is different in any appreciable way.

I started looking for some more info on PCE RPGs and ran into this page which is incredibly awesome. This person is my new hero. Check out the 83 posts tagged I ♥ The PC Engine. The only down side is that most of the RPGs I listed are reviewed as rather terrible. :(

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB