Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surging Aura for the Genesis in......French
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 am 

This is probably one of the few times when a Japanese RPG is first translated to a Western language and it's not English. Here is the relevant link and it looks like it will be done pretty soon. I think the poor Sega Genesis always gets neglected compared to the SNES.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 545.0.html

Here is a Youtube video of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWsqREV ... re=related

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post subject: Re: Surging Aura for the Genesis in......French
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:52 am 

Yeah it does, big time, and that's sad too, I was brought up on the genesis most of my early life.
Hopefully someone will translate it to english soon. Sadly outside Phantasy Star the genesis doesn't seem to have
much going for it RPG wise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:42 pm 

If you check that French site closely, it looks like they already released a patch. It says RC1 (release candidate?) by the link.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:59 pm 

Yes RC1 does generally mean release candidate, but I know zip of french so either way...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Yeah it does, big time, and that's sad too, I was brought up on the genesis most of my early life.
Hopefully someone will translate it to english soon. Sadly outside Phantasy Star the genesis doesn't seem to have
much going for it RPG wise.

Don't forget about Shining Force 1 and 2. They're also pretty popular RPGs. Well, SRPGs, but that still does classify as RPGs in a way. You play as a character, walk in towns, talk to people, fight battles to defeat evil, etc.

Anyways, this looks like a pretty good game. The battle system kind of reminds me of the Slayers RPG. Now that it's in French, I'm sure that it will also soon be translated into English. As mentioned by members at RHDN, it would probably be better to do a Japanese to English translation. French to English would also work, but it would risk a "broken telephone" translation.

I see that it's at mentioned at RHDN, that the French team would like to help in an English translation with the romhacking work.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 am 

Haha I wouldn't overlook Shining Force, I just tend to classify SRPGs as a niche of their own as generally the roleplay itself is a lesser focus
in most cases, and the strategy is more preponderant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:23 am 
Site Admin

I guess when it comes to the GENS, it's easily out competed by the SNES for not only a larger amount of games, but also better graphics and it most cases, also gameplay & controls. That's not to say that it doesn't have any good games. As mentioned, the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games are great, but aside from that, there isn't much else. The only other games which I can remember enjoying were Crusader of Centy (though the whole "monsters aren't evil" thing and the ending was a little strange in my opinion) and that Dragon Ball Z fighting game (I think it was called Buyuu Retsuden). But, they don't really compare with games such as Tales of Phantasia or the Super Butoden DBZ games (well, one could argue that it's better than the first and maybe even the third, but certainly not the second one). Still though, I do agree that the GENS has some great games that deserve more attention. It is a great console after all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:29 am 

Recca wrote:
I guess when it comes to the GENS, it's easily out competed by the SNES for not only a larger amount of games, but also better graphics and it most cases, also gameplay & controls. That's not to say that it doesn't have any good games. As mentioned, the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games are great, but aside from that, there isn't much else. The only other games which I can remember enjoying were Crusader of Centy (though the whole "monsters aren't evil" thing and the ending was a little strange in my opinion) and that Dragon Ball Z fighting game (I think it was called Buyuu Retsuden). But, they don't really compare with games such as Tales of Phantasia or the Super Butoden DBZ games (well, one could argue that it's better than the first and maybe even the third, but certainly not the second one). Still though, I do agree that the GENS has some great games that deserve more attention. It is a great console after all.

Honestly I think only Hyper Dimension was a good DBZ 16-bit game (although the lack of beam struggles is a bummer).
In general I feel the Genesis had good games, but they tend to be harder to dig out than the Snes ones, and in the RPG
side of things, its really a no contest win for the Snes.
The Genesis always seemed more suited for action games and platformers to me than RPGs (see Contra Hard Corps, Pulseman, Sonic and others).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:42 am 
Site Admin

Whoa, really? Hyper Dimension was actually the one that I didn't like. Faster gameplay was good considering that it is a fighting game, but I disliked the way the characters were drawn (the Gens one was better, more like the actual DBZ ones). I also didn't like the music and sound effects that much. It was also pretty annoying the HP was combined with energy and that you couldn't fly, you could only knock a person into the air or back down to the ground. Air fighting was really annoying, when you would punch or kick, you would remain stuck in that position for a really long period of time leaving you open to attacks. And as you said, the lack of super ki blast counters was a let down too. In the Super Butoden and the Gens one, air combat was identical to ground combat, only that you couldn't crouch down. Also, you could move a bit back and forth in the air when jumping which you good for hitting and evading attacks.

As much I like DBZ, the only games I really liked were the three Super Butoden ones for the Snes and the Gens one. As for RPGs, only the Snes RPG one was to my liking. The two Snes Super Gokuden ones were also quite enjoyable, along with Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure for the GBA, but that's Dragon Ball, not DBZ. Heh, I do love the original anime! Akira Toriyama is awesome!

Edit: Whoa, seems like I turned this into a bit of a DBZ game comparison. Hahaha! :lol:
The music in Buyuu Retsuden was pretty good along with the ones in Super Butoden 3. Super Butoden 1 and 2 had truely epic soundtracks! They sound even better on the music CDs! I'm lucky that I found on sale a few years ago in a store.

Last edited by Recca on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 am 

Recca wrote:
Whoa, really? Hyper Dimension was actually the one that I didn't like. Faster gameplay was good considering that it is a fighting game, but I disliked the way the characters were drawn. I also didn't like the music and sound effects that much. It was also pretty annoying the HP was combined with energy and that you couldn't fly, you could only knock a person into the air or back down to the ground. Air fighting was really annoying, when you would punch or kick, you would remain stuck and that position for a really long period of time leaving you open to attacks. And as you said, the lack of super ki blast counters was a let down too.

As much I like DBZ, the only games I really liked were the three Super Butoden ones for the Snes and the Gens one. As for RPGs, only the Snes RPG one was to my liking. The two Snes Super Gokuden ones were also quite enjoyable, along with Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure for the GBA, but that's Dragon Ball, not DBZ. Heh, I do love the original anime!

Edit: Whoa, seems like I turned this into a bit of a DBZ game comparison. Hahaha! :lol:

Its fine by me haha, and yeah Gokuden was nice, but I also liked Legacy Of Goku for the GBA even though they are not pure RPGs (just LOG 2 and 3 mind you)
I agree the "flight" system in Hyper Dimension sucked (too much mode 7, and it doesn't look all that good even though its technically advanced for the Snes)
but I didn't mind the art at all, and the HP/ Ki being co-joined makes sense to me (in the anime, high powered moves cause a lot of strain if you think about it).