Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Famicom or Super Nintendo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 am 
Site Admin

When referring to games only released in Japan, I always use Super Famicom, for instance "Ranma ½: Chōnai Gekitōhen (SFC)". Super Nintendo or SNES I reserve for talking about games released outside of Japan, for instance "Street Combat (SNES)". Truth be told, it kind of bugs me to see a list of "Super Nintendo" games that includes Japanese games, or to hear a Japan only release referred to as a SNES game and vice versa. Does anyone else make this distinction?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: Super Famicom or Super Nintendo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 am 
Site Admin

I know what your saying, but I'm not sure if it bothers me as much as it bothers you ;)
That reminds me of another pet peeve that some people have - the reading of "SNES" (being "S N E S" or "Snessss")

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 am 
Site Admin

Neither one of those things bother me at all. In fact, I'd rather blame Nintendo for naming it something else in different territories, rather than the people who call it one or the other. It doesn't bother me about SNES either, though I really don't know anyone that doesn't know what SNES stands for even when abbreviated so... I do use S N E S sometimes in conversations though. Everyone knows what I'm referring to and what it stands for (if they're into gaming anyway.)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Figures. :) I'm probably being unusually particular about SFC/SNES. Interesting about S N E S. I'm sure I've heard it said that way but I always say it as one word, SNES.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:46 pm 

I pronounce the letters.

As to changing the name, you can't really blame them as they needed to change the name of the Famicom for marketing reasons that I'm sure the fans know well.
But then of course they needed to keep consistency when its successor came.
Good thing they decided to keep the N64 name the same, and to stay away from '90s unnecessary adjectives.
NINTENDO ULTRAAAAAA SIXTYFOUUUUUUUR! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:42 pm 

LOLed at what KM said, so true.
That said, as I recall U64 was actually the arcade board on which the N64 was based (akin to what happens between the NAOMI board and the Sega Dreamcast).

Back on topic, I don't mind either SFC or SNES honestly, although both FC and SFC have a sort of silly ring to me, as it makes me think of entry level low spec PCs rather than a console.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 pm 

Ultra 64 was the original intended name for the home console, but it was changed by the end of 1995 for Japan (though still Ultra 64 outside Japan), but the March 1996 issue of Nintendo Power announced Nintendo 64 as the final name worldwide.
Killer Instinct and Cruis'n USA had the U64 name as they were released in 1994 and based on prototype N64 hardware, long before the name change.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I don't really mind either if it's SFC or SNES, but I have gotten used to seeing it as "Super Nintendo" more so than "Super Famicom" even though it's not the original name for it. Same thing with the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. Strange that they always change the names...

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I don't really mind either if it's SFC or SNES, but I have gotten used to seeing it as "Super Nintendo" more so than "Super Famicom" even though it's not the original name for it. Same thing with the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. Strange that they always change the names...
It's invisible to me because I use them interchangeably. I prefer to be technically correct, personally, but when I do occasionally think about it, it's a communications thing. A player who's very fond of these games knows the distinctions, but most casual English-speaking gamers of all ages in the West probably know the word "Nintendo". "Famicom" actually means "family computer", but most Westerners consider their Athlon CPU-driven tower unit with flat screen monitor wired together at the hutch in the den to be that, and the little gray box that hooks into their entertainment center to be the "Nintendo".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:55 am 

filler wrote:
When referring to games only released in Japan, I always use Super Famicom, for instance "Ranma ½: Chōnai Gekitōhen (SFC)". Super Nintendo or SNES I reserve for talking about games released outside of Japan, for instance "Street Combat (SNES)". Truth be told, it kind of bugs me to see a list of "Super Nintendo" games that includes Japanese games, or to hear a Japan only release referred to as a SNES game and vice versa. Does anyone else make this distinction?

I'm actually the same way too! lol that sorta tickes me off too when people refers a Japan Only game SNES and NOT SFC. Because, what happens if no one that doesn't follow gaming communitys and when if someone at school or in the streets saying "Yo dude/bro (or buddy), you've heard of this game called Shin Megami Tensei? Friend says: Nah man, what is it about?

*his friend explains the game*

Friend 2: "Yo dude that sounds sick! what system is it for?

Friend 1: "oh it's for the SNES"

Friend 2: "oh awesome! cont..