Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What RPG series would you like to see revived most?
Suikoden 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Lunar 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Shadow Hearts/Koudelka 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Phantasy Star 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Arc the Lad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wild Arms 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Breath of Fire 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grandia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chrono Trigger/Cross 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Lufia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Earthbound/Mother 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Sakura Wars/Taisen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Albert Odyssey 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Legend of Legaia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alundra 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Secret of Mana 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magna Carta 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (feel free to post your other choice) 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9
Post subject: Poll: What RPG series would you like to see revived most?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:16 am 
Site Admin

I'm trying to keep the list to series that had at least 2 games but mostly more than 2 games. Second, I tried to limit the list to stuff that hasn't been in release in a while or had a real proper game in the series in a while (which is why Secret of Mana is there). I'm sure I missed many series, feel free to give me additions (if you want to vote for them) in future posts.

Post subject: Re: Poll: What RPG series would you like to see revived most
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:56 am 
Site Admin

Super-tough to answer that one... There are several that I would definitely want to see make a comeback (or even settle for HD treatments), but I ultimately chose the Chrono Series. Although if it were to be continue they'd need to get the "Dream Team" back, which probably means Squeenix would have to contract out to Monolith Soft. Sadly that would make the game Nintendo exclusive, and I'm not really a fan of Nintendo these days. Oh, and they would have to have Yasunori Mitsuda back to do the soundtrack.

Ahh... If only dreams really did come true... *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:29 am 

id LIKE to see a LOT of those in that list revived but my 1st out of those is Secret Of Mana, it'd be great to get another
one of those BUT make it more like SoM 1 or SD2, didnt much care for the games that came after them. Even SD2 had
it's bad moments though which resulted in me throwing my pad or punching my wall in a fit of rage.

We really NEED a new Breath of Fire also, that stupid BoF game they have coming out, (or is already out), for the iOS,
what a smart move that was.. NOT! that series began to fall from BoF4 onwards, SURE! BoF4 looked nice and everything
but all the switching between characters and even the story was annoying in places.

Legend Of Legaia in the list? was their 2 or more of those? but in any case.. YES PLEASE! :O luv'd that game.

Chrono Trigger.. now, I have mixed feelings about this game, I really liked the game BUT all those damn ending were
pointless, having to complete the game normally to then get game+ mode so you can see ALL the other endings was just
stupid, 13 initial endings? come off it. What they should have done with the ending system was Normal game = bad ending,
game+ mode = best ending. Considering though the producers had made the game originally as SoM and it was to be a release
for the snes cd add-on thing they were creating and shelved with Sony, (later became PS1/PSX), and then just ported it OVER
to the Snes with the size of the game and what it had to offer was a great milestone for the system. This is where Chrono Trigger
was born, that game has MANY features and stuff in it that was meant to have been in Secret Of Mana but they could not fit it all
in to the Snes Port.. if you notice.. this is why the characters in CT are practically doubles of characters in SoM.. the two games
were both born from the same original game :) this is another reason why SoM has a Not Finished/Rushed feeling to it and it's
story.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, there was Legend of Legaia on PS1 and Legaia: Dual Saga on PS2 (which still means I probably shouldn't have included it)

And crap, editing the poll reset the votes so please revote and I won't edit it again :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm 

taskforce wrote:
Yes, there was Legend of Legaia on PS1 and Legaia: Dual Saga on PS2 (which still means I probably shouldn't have included it)

And crap, editing the poll reset the votes so please revote and I won't edit it again :(

LOL! ah yeah, forgot bout Legaia: Dual Saga.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:48 pm 

Wait, but are we talking about revived and DONE WELL?

Because if you ask me, I don't want to see another Breath of Fire or Chrono Trigger if the actual Square-Enix or Capcom are the ones doing it. In fact I would become a religious man for the rest of my life and pray every day, if doing so prevents them to make another entry and ruin them, lol.

I mean, look at Breath of Fire 6 for mobiles. Looks incredibly lazy and lifeless, the perfect Smartphone Crap. From the textboxes with static artwork, to the incredibly boring gameplay if the videos from a couple of months are faithful enough. And after all that, what it was shown in those videos could be anything but Breath of Fire.

It simply feels like a half baked cashgrab with a somewhat famous name.

Anyway, in case you mean doing them well, then...

A new Breath of Fire would be awesome, 2 and 3 are great games for their respective systems, and I still play them, something made from those two could be interesting to see. Although 4 and that one for PS2 felt "meh".

I think Chrono Trigger is great as it is. A fear I have with sequels is that they can ruin prior games, or even entire series, Square Enix has made enough examples of this over the years. So yeah, maybe it could be good, but I rather not risk it, lol.

A new Mother would be really nice too, if they stick with a new story altogether... And update the battle system a little. A personal pet peeve of mine is that I really grew tired of the Dragon Quest battle system long ago, back in the NES days I could understand it, but after that feels really lazy and uninvolving. With Mother is not much of a problem, mind you, but a more interesting looking battle system wouldn't hurt, imagine all the quirky humour in the animations of enemies and characters they could add...

Lunar would be nice too, just like a new Lufia that could live up to Lufia 2 standards or a new Seiken Densetsu, as SD3 was really kick-ass.

And this thread reminds mie that I have to play Arc the Lad.

...Hmmm.

I think my vote goes to Mother, just for the hell of it. Kids with psychic powers, what's not to like?

As for other series... Not really a popular one, or important, but my money goes for another "Chocobo Dungeon Wii". D, That game may very well be my favourite Mystery Dungeon game of the entire "series" by far.

Classes and spells/skills really do a lot for me to spice up the Roguelike genre, and the adition of challenges based on smaller mazes with rules combines well with the larger dungeons. I don't know hoy many times i've played it since it launched.

Also, a new Vandal Hearts. The first one is a total PS1 classic to me.

...Sorry for the wall of text.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
...Sorry for the wall of text.

Don't be sorry, that is exactly what I was going for, to get some life in the boards. If you guys are writing a lot of text, then I succeeded, feel free to write as much as you want :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:43 am 

Ok Then! I tend to create walls of text without noticing.

Another series that I would like to see again is Shining Force. I liked it back then a lot, and today I like it more than Fire Emblem still.

I know the existence of a DS game, but I don't see it as a Shining Force game.

It's incredibly generic. Seems to be designed like many of those A.D.D. flashy animes with all the style you want, but without substance of any type. It has pretty much nothing from the original games.

Truly feels like a totally separated game with the Shining Force name slapped into it. It doesn't seem as bad as Breath of Fire 6 (this looks like a decent game if you can bypass the rest), but my god, if there's something I hate in this industry is the trend to change or abuse franchises to pander big demographics.

There's also Shining Blade on the PSP, but I feel the same. Only it seems quite more boring and slow, although it looks great for the PSP. But visuals are nothing if the rest doesn't work...

Like what happened to Final Fantasy with FF8, or after Sakaguchi left Squaresoft.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, some people loved FF8 and I happen to be one of them, definitely disagree with you on that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:01 pm 

Oh sorry, I didn't mean anything bad with that. Even if I find it a bit silly, I have a soft spot for 8 too.

What I meant was that it feels pretty different compared to the rest when it released. How it looked (Character more realistic and anime-like compared to prior ingame models/sprites), how it played (like the Junction System and all that) the focus of the story changed too (Romance being far more important, for example)...

I could have worded it better, my bad.