Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Poll: Favorite RPG battle system?
Pure turn based (Dragon Quest, Mother) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ATB (Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger) 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
LMBS (Tales Of Phantasia, Tales Of Eternia) 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Semi LMBS (Star Ocean 2, Star Ocean 3) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Timing Based System (Legend Of Dragoon, Magna Carta) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Active Battle System (Seiken Densetsu, Zelda) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Semi Active Battle System (Parasite Eve 1) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grid Turn Based (Arc The Lad, Treasure Hunter G) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tactical Battle System (Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Other (specify) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8
Post subject: Poll: Favorite RPG battle system?
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 pm 

Choose from the battle systems above or specify your favorite.
Note that the example list is non-exaustive, just tried to recall them from the top of my head.

Last edited by Red Soul on Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Poll: Favorite RPG battle system?
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:44 am 
Site Admin

As with the favorite RPG series, this too was a pretty tough pick. I chose that ATB one mainly because of Chrono Trigger. It had one of the best battle systems in my opinion which differed from the similar, but not quite the same one in Final Fantasy IV and VI.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:08 am 

Ah yes, I quite like ATB too, myself.
Thanks for voicing your thoughts Recca ^.^
Also I'd like to hear everyone else's opinion as well (in other words, if you vote, please comment on your vote).

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:40 pm 

My "Other" is Panzer Dragoon Saga's system, which mixes ATB, strategy and character placement, and learning the enemy's patterns, while rewarding you for performing well.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Well, beyond not being a fan of grid turn based strategy systems (save for a select few) my favorite is probably true turn based. Although, it is a tough choice between it, timing based systems and ACTB. Shadow Hearts had a very fun battle system IMO. You forgot the other of my favorite systems. ACTB (Active Cost Time battle) which is used in gust games (as well as others.) Stuff like Ar Tonelico and Atelier Iris. This was a fun system where you're placed in a battle queue and actions during turns can move you back and forth in that queue. Also, of course I liked Lunar's modification of a turn based system with movement, not quite a grid but it did add one more element of strategy.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

How is it fixed compared to before? Its still the exact same voting system.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:16 pm 

Master Chen wrote:
Parasite Eve II is NOT a SABS, because you can shoot/kill enemies even BEFORE you interact with them and go into the Battle Mode, and since this applies to almost 35% of entire game's enemies - you can't call it SABS.
Also, unlike Parasite Eve, in PE II you don't have ATB gauge that you must charge before acting, you can shoot/attack as many times as you want, as long as you have bullets in your magazine or MP to use magic, there is no ATB-based restrictions, thus, it's not SABS - it can be called a Shooter with RPG elements, but not a SABS, because pure SABS differ from this very much.
It's more of a Shooter than a pure SABS.
Vagrant Story is a pure SABS, Parasite Eve is a SABS, even Fallout is more SABS than PE II.

Anyway...at last you fixed the voting options, so I'm voting on this one, but...you should have added way more variations than just that.
Where's Dewprism/Threads of Fate, Alundra, Beyond Oasis (Platformer RPG - they don't go into the "Zelda" category)? Where's Shadow Hearts (Timing-Based, but also 100% Turn-Based)? Where's Kingdom Hearts CoM and Baten Kaitos (Card Based)?

Also, shouldn't it be easier to call all Turn-Based Tactical RPGs just Tactical RPGs? Because, even though most of them has standard square grid, not all of them use the squares and some of them even absolutely differ from "yours truly" (FFT, Sayuki, Front Mission, Arc The Lad, Tactics Ogre, Volfoss, Vandal Hearts and etc.).
For example, what about Paradise Cracked? It's HEXAGONAL, so it's easier to call it just a Tactical RPG, than to call it "Grid Turn Based", no? But that's just my IMHO.

Okay, first, I did say the list is non exaustive, so don't expect me to remember all of them LOL; also, some of the systems you mentioned are way too outlandish and isolated for me to remember, its a generalistic poll and I'm human.
Still, I'll go ahead and fix the options I believe in which your reasoning valid.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm 

All right, I'll modify it later on then, but as I said before, the listing isn't meant to encompass everything ever conceived nor the labeling is meant to be an epitome of perfection, heck if I was perfect I'd be ruling the world not making polls eh?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Master Chen wrote:
Just change "Grid Turn Based" to "Tactical", that would be very appropriate and appreciated.

Grid turned based IS NOT always tactical. Take into account Cross Edge for example. There is a grid. The grid has a VERY important role in battle, however this game is not anywhere close to *Tactical RPG*. He has the right wording now if you ask me. Also, Arc the Lad is hard pressed to be called a tactical RPG, especially Twilight of the Spirits. It is by many but it is the most watered down tactical RPG you can find. Even Suikoden to some extent falls under the grid based system. You have to account for long medium and short range weapons users and place them accordingly so they can operate in battle. I wouldn't call it a grid based RPG but since you think everyone should get highly technical, then it counts. As it reads now that covers those games. Change it and it no longer covers them.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:41 am 

I'd have to go with the 'Linear Motion Battle System'. It's just so much fun.
My only complaint is that it can be really slow at times.

Second would have to be 'Active Time Battle'. I find it much less linear compared to a standard turn-based system.

Backloggery :: Youtube