Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shortest RPG's you've played?
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Really, Master Chan, you've brought much fun to the board, but we're an older group here, mostly, and we usually don't fight over video games. If we differ about something, we attack the game, not the individuals who like the game.

Also, I must say that your command of a certain English vernacular is outstanding, but I don't imagine you learned that particular profanity in a Russian school's English class. I'm guessing you either picked it up hanging around vulgar English-speakers or watching our vulgar movies. But we're not really like that here. Most, if not all of us here on this board, are decent people who don't speak that way. Oh, we may drop a cuss word or two occasionally, but we don't spew it out every other breath like ill-bred adolescents. In fact, decent Americans/Canadians, etc., call those who speak that way all the time "gutter trash" or some such. In other words, it's not everyday language for mainstream English speakers who have reached maturity, and no one I know of here will appreciate hearing it spoken profusely on this board.

And we usually don't make references to someone with whom we disagree being high on drugs unless we are quite chummy with that particular individual over a long period of time - saying it as a joke - and even then, normally we don't carry on that way in public.

We hope you will take a word to the wise here, Master Chan. We hope you will revert to your original fun-loving self and keep it fairly clean from now on. When my own children (over the age of 20) speak that way in my house, I send them out into the woods for a while to reflect on what constitutes a civilized society. When they return, I always tell them there's no substitute for good taste. Appropriate behavior for the tone we have set here will win you a lot of admiration and new friends on this board, Master Chen.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

You can't get all the characters in Star Ocean since you can only have eight... To get them all, or rather different ones, you have to replay the game and recruit different people (the four main characters - Ratix, Iria, Ronxis and Milly; will always be in your party which leaves space for four optional ones). In my case, that was Cius, Joshua, Marvel and Fear. And yes, I did do all the private actions in towns with them. Actually, twice per the possible towns since different things happen when you have them all as opposed to just the first three or four. And again, yes, I did also complete the side quests such as the Metox Cave, Sylvant Ruins, Joshua's meeting with with Foster where you go monster hunting and he gives you a Elven Bow, colosseum up to level A, etc. I do look through rpgclassics for secrets and such, but not in my first play through. I also don't speed play, I take my time to enjoy the game and talk to all NPCs. Bottom line is, I did in fact finish Star Ocean in 18 hours during my first playthrough without cheating nor "speed playing".

I even beat the Seven Star Ruins at the end of the game where you can use the Oracle skill up to level ten to talk to the Dejap and the game's production staff (the actual dungeon can be accessed by leaving the Oracle room via the south-east exit and stepping on the earth tile inside the castle of the colosseum town). South-west exit of the Oracle room leads back to the Revorse Tower.

Edit: There's also a fair number of fans on the web who were even complaining about how short Star Ocean was which is true. It's a great game, but the main story line is too short. It kind of defeats the purpose of learning more difficult skills such as smithing.
taskforce wrote:
I think he meant everything possible during first play through

Master Chen wrote:
Maybe, maybe not.
As I was reading that, I didn't got the picture like that at all.
I thought that there was talk about the entire game's completion (meaning 100% completion, which is not possible during first play-through) exactly. If it will be stated otherwise, then I'll admit my mistake, but if not...

Yes, this is what I meant. I finished the first time by completing everything that is possible with the characters I had then.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Master Chen wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
I'm guessing you either picked it up hanging around vulgar English-speakers or watching our vulgar movies. But we're not really like that here. Most, if not all of us here on this board, are decent people who don't speak that way. Oh, we may drop a cuss word or two occasionally, but we don't spew it out every other breath like ill-bred adolescents. In fact, decent Americans/Canadians, etc., call those who speak that way all the time "gutter trash" or some such. In other words, it's not everyday language for mainstream English speakers who have reached maturity, and no one I know of here will appreciate hearing it spoken profusely on this board.

Was there a reason to write all that, really? I seriously don't understand why you think that I used any sentences to attack someone. I assure you, I did not. At all.

Quote:
Also, I must say that your command of a certain English vernacular is "outstanding", but I don't imagine you learned that particular profanity in a Russian school's English class.

OUCH! %))

Quote:
We usually don't make references to someone with whom we disagree being high on drugs unless we are quite chummy with that particular individual over a long period of time - saying it as a joke - and even then, normally we don't carry on that way in public.

Really? Well excuse me then, maybe it's because I just converted my usual (Russian) style of speaking to the English-based board which mainly consists of American/United Kingdom citizens, who aren't really used to this kind of addressing?

Believe me, in Russia, when you say to someone that you think that they are "on high" or drunk (or smoking illegal drugs made from famously known kinds of illegal, but natural bio-floral resources) because of them say something or talk about something that sounds really strange or goofy, it's not so insulting or bad as you may thought that I think it's for America or other English-speaking countries (like UK or etc.) citizens, yes, it was practically a question with a joke meaning, purely no harm were intended - didn't think you'd get that hyped over it, lol.
It's not like every 1.5 (first with a half) citizen of Russia smokes natural-grown narcotics, but it's just a common phrase (for example: if someone says to me "There is Ryu, there is Ken...so when do they plan to introduce Sho to Street Fighter series? You know...there is Ryu and Ken, but there's no Sho...and it should be ShoRyuKen, right?", I'll answer "damn man, go wash in a cold shower and get sober" or "what the hell, man? that was some heavy stuff you were smoking there! come on, stop smoking this @#$%, it can only bring you more trouble!", like that) that's used by very many people in here for as long as I remember.

Well anyway...I'll stop using sentences or puns like that, because I see clearly that most people either got offended by them (even though they're absolutely harmless from the standard Russian's point of view), or just didn't understood the full meaning or intention of why I posted them. Well, that's that, I'll stop.
My friend, I know you did not use heavy profanity (when you did) to attack someone. My point was that just about all of us found that type of language quite distracting to the subject matter, not to mention, unpleasant, to boot. When you gravitate to the highest level of your exuberance or excitement level, if you will express yourself eloquently in refined language, suitably articulated for congenial company, you will also enjoy a much higher probability of swaying people to your point of view.

Hey, c'mon, Master Chan, does everyone in Russia really speak in those coarse terms? Well, I know that Russians just happen to be among the most artistic people in the world, musical composers with the fire of Tchaikovsky, writers with the passion of Tolstoy, evocative ballet dancers on the level of Baryshnikov... Amigo, just for your information, these are the types of Russians and Russian characters that educated people in the West treasure the most.

So, on with the fun. Thanks for respecting our tone.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 pm 

Well on the subject of matter, the topic I mean, I can't recall what was the shortest one I played, but I do recall Terrainigma being disappointingly short. Every time I did something major I was chanting something like "I hope the game is not over yet" in my head.
I beat Dark Gaia at Lv 32, which felt like a disappointment to me.
I don't like dashing through an RPG, I guess you could say I'm the completionist sort of player, but I never aim for low play times, simply 'cause I like to have at least 1 piece of every equipment on my inventory and I like bashing enemies like there's no tomorrow haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:57 pm 

Tenchi Muyo - for the snes, hands down. This game had a lot of potential but is just too short, and was to linear in exploration and..well you had NO shops at all for weapons, armor or items. It was still an enjoyable game. But you can beat this game in under 50 battles easily. I had a few unnecessary battles, and totaled 54 thinking the game would be harder than it actually was. But in hindsight, I think someone could beat this in 35-40 battles which really is not a lot!

Despite its insane difficultly, Dark Law: Meaning of Death is actually quite short and I remember beating it within 3-4 days, not many hours per day. Even with the HUGE "optional" sealed cave which is kind of a must if you want to be strong enough to win the game hence the quotes around optional. This is short but if you want 7th saga (or MORE!) type challenge, this is your game. Battle system is similar to Treasure Hunter G which is another game I felt was actually kind of short! I think I beat it in under 15..maybe even 12 hours. One of the few times I wish a game was LONGER, as I wanted moooore!

I agree with others, minus the side quests, Star Ocean is a short game. But there are a plethora of side quests throughout the game to lengthen it a considerable amount and..they are kinda necessary if you want to be at high enough levels to finish the game.

That is what I remember off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 pm 

Chrono Trigger. Took me round about 15 hours to complete it for the first time (without NewGame+ but including all the Side Quests).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 am 

I don't have times, but I know by how many days certain things took me!

I noticed someone mentioned Suikoden. I remember playing through it over a day and a half. Then when I realized I'd missed ONE person, I started over that morning and finished it that night. Definitely a short game when you know what you're doing.

Another game that came to mind was Shining in the Darkness. Even after a good 6 years, I could start it up tomorrow morning and finish it that night. It helps when I can easily memorize labyrinths / maps.

I can semi vouch for some various SNES RPGs. While I did abuse frame skipping for any grinding or text, I played Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Paladin's Quest, Brainlord, and 7th Saga recently. Roughly 6 days to complete them all. *quite pleased with himself, actually* I decided to go on an Enix run, though I don't mind speeding things up on the roms. If I ever own all these games again, I'll take my time that way.

Edit: I can at least say that 7th Saga only took me "32 hours" to beat from the save game time with what it probably took to run through the semi-short last dungeon and final boss. Level 52 at the end with Esuna and Olvan and the best equipment I could buy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:33 pm 

Two more to add to the list:

A few of you have already mentioned Monstania. Yes, it was 4 hours and 15 minutes, last time I was able to check the clock. I can add another 15 minutes for the final boss to get to an even 4.5 hours. However there was a lot of unaccounted time, because I lost a number of battles numerous times (like the sea slug battle where you need to protect the lab or that spider boss at the start). I could probably add another 30-45 minutes..maybe even an hour or so, due to time spent in what eventually led to a losing battle and restart. But you can do that for many rpgs. How accurate is the clock, really, since it can not account for losses too. Figure for most games you can add at least 30-60 minutes and sometimes hours of unaccounted for time. But I am getting off topic..

EVO: Search for Eden, if you want to count that as an (action) rpg. I beat it in two or three days. Bosses (and having to repeat them over and over after losing) + grinding for EVO(lution) points = 95% of the game. I would venture a guess and say easily under ten hours, if not 6-8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:14 am 

Monstania. I beat it once soon after the patch was released. If I remember it was a total of like six hours real time.

I never actually beat the final boss, but I remember Brain Lord was disappointingly short. I think I played through to the final boss in about two days. (pretty sure I did it all during the two-day break before my high school graduation)
Good gameplay, but it's only five dungeons and two towns. The system of leveling-up companions also kinda sucks, as you're just wandering back and forth killing enemies in the hopes they'll randomly drop EXP balls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 pm 

Still quite a long game, but I'd say Atelier Iris 2 was quite short for an RPG. I finished the entire thing in 2 days. Took me 24 hours.

The game was very easy up until the final boss. I was really unprepared but I didn't want to spend a few extra hours grinding and synthesizing new accessories. I ended up making myself 40+ elixirs (and I used almost every one in that fight! Haha).

Backloggery :: Youtube