Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Is it ok if i make a request?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:05 am 
Site Admin

I think the group trying to finish Oni is led by Kammedo, and I believe Bongo` helped him with some of the hacking and coding chores. I still want to either do this game or see it finished.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 am 

Yes I think the leader of YNT is this Kammedo person.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:47 am 
You'll probably want to shoot me, but I found that "Mini-4ku Let's & Go!! Power WGP 2" pretty interesting. Loved the concept.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:05 am 

Lalakoboldslayer wrote:
You'll probably want to shoot me, but I found that "Mini-4ku Let's & Go!! Power WGP 2" pretty interesting. Loved the concept.

I wouldn't go as far as shooting you because you're a nice guy and I don't like guns, but this Mini whatever wouldn't be in my priority list at all.
Like I said out of those I'd like to see T: S&P done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Lalakoboldslayer wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as shooting you because you're a nice guy and I don't like guns, but this Mini whatever wouldn't be in my priority list at all.
Like I said out of those I'd like to see T: S&P done.
I like guns, especially when I can drill Bambi with a 30-06 and grind venison sausage like minchi, either spiced or smoked. Yummy, yummy in the tummy! But this Local Master doesn't eat horses, so Mr. Ed is safe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 am 

Hahah
You're a laugh riot Bill...I bet you could write stories in any tone you wanted and they'd work wonderfully.
The success of the projects attests to that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:35 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Hahah
You're a laugh riot Bill...I bet you could write stories in any tone you wanted and they'd work wonderfully.
The success of the projects attests to that.
Without Bongo`'s code work and the whole team's labors - block translations, splash, graphics hacks, font, QA, etc., my warped sense of humor would just rattle around inside my fool head! Though I'm glad you enjoyed a light, humorous plot, after all. We all need to laugh more. Course, we managed a chuckle or two in Feda, neh? Oh, and give Filler credit for conceptualizing the Pinchi-Minchi conversion. (Heh, you're a real cut-up, Mattie!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 am 

Aye, more laugher is in order, and contrary to what some may think I believe laugher is much harder to draw out than tears...
human suffering is just too highly ingrained in each of us no matter where we turn, what's the news in that?
that's why I can't stand drama stuff.
Not saying we should all make fools of ourselves and laugh at every little thing in life, but still sadness seems
to carry a stronger presence in most people than joy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Aye, more laugher is in order, and contrary to what some may think I believe laugher is much harder to draw out than tears...
human suffering is just too highly ingrained in each of us no matter where we turn, what's the news in that?
that's why I can't stand drama stuff.
Not saying we should all make fools of ourselves and laugh at every little thing in life, but still sadness seems
to carry a stronger presence in most people than joy.

I disagree with you there Red Soul. Yes, sadness can be easy to pull off. Well written powerful despair and sadness that really tugs on your heart-strings can be much more of a challenge. The only reason sadness seems easier, is because you see it done half-arsed so much. Sadness is easily recognized half-arsed or not unlike humor. Good powerful despair and sadness though, are really a challenge. Also, recently I wish game makers would lose the shock value sadness that is starting to catch on in games (mostly because it got rampant in anime and games tend to follow suit)

What I mean by shock value sadness, is a death that happens to a main character or a side character just to shock you. The death will be a pretty meaningless affair overall, and only happened because the creators wanted to shock you that they did it. Too bad its gotten so common that there is no shock value to it these days. It will be a somewhat sad event but overall the death is meaningless and it really doesn't do much beyond make you upset. If you want a good example from Tales of Legendia. *SPOILER ALERT* The death of Grune at the end of Tales of Legendia's Epilogue is a great example of a shock value death. The death was very meaningless, it was simply done because they could to piss you off. And it wasn't much of a sad event in the end because of this *SPOILER END*

Now a good powerful death scene on the other hand, when you feel invested in the character and they die for good cause or reasons, can be quite a powerful thing. There has been plenty of examples of this over the years as well. Phantasy Star 4 comes to mind for me. *SPOILER ALERT* The death of Alys in Phantasy Star IV is the one I think of to fit this bill. *END SPOILER*

At any rate, when someone dies protecting their comrades because they're the only one that can. Taking a blow means saving a life? Sure it is, but is it common to real life? Certainly not. Thus I think it makes them all the more powerful. The shock value deaths are far more true to real life, and it maybe because they are that they carry less impact. The point is, sadness can be harder to pull off properly in my opinion. A long ways for a short message eh :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I see all main and side character deaths as pointless and stupid. Most if not all of the time, the fight could be won without anyone dying. Bah, I see it as weakness of the script writer! I can sway people's emotions without any corny death scenes. I hate the whole "You saved the world, but your brother/sister/best friend died... tough luck!). I dislike this so much that at times I can turn down and not play a perfectly good game because of it. Most story writers these days can't really seem to balance their stories. Either it's completely childish and lame or a overly dark and sadistic plot which makes no sense. I've written better manga plots.

Edit: Of course, I'm talking about most of the game writers today, not anyone here. Wildbill does great work on game scripts. :)

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next