Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: An apology to D-D members
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:02 am 
Site Admin

byuusan wrote:
I've always struggled with this stuff, going all the way back to '98. It's just too easy to get me riled up on a cause and then I underestimate how many people care about what I have to say compared to your average poster. I don't realize how much I upset people until it's too late, and often I don't even find out how upset people are until years later, kind of like now. And well, I've gotten what I deserve for it (and then some.) Thank you for accepting my apology as well. It won't happen again.

So I mainly use bass now, but xkas I know very well too of course. That one seems to have serious staying power ^-^;
If it's just xkas / binary files to insert with it and no EXE files or shell scripts I'd need to run, then sure I can work with that.

I just finished my own project so I have about six weeks I can put into this. Hopefully I can at least point you in the right direction if nothing else. Feel free to send whatever you like to my e-mail address at your convenience. You've my word I won't share anything with anyone else.
Taskforce is the Oni-II project coordinator, so I am about to hand him my work so far. I am just minutes away from a juncture at about the 75% point that I’ve been dreading, a place where a crash is trying to occurr that I might not be able to work around this time. It’s an amazing late game additional feature.

This game component is partially controlled by a “pop-up” that emerges on what is called the NPC menu. That menu never got fleshed out completely, and the special feature may very well have other crash risks that overlap already existing level-up problems with the main characters.

I’m being intentionally vague to avoid spoilers, but that’s a general idea of the complexities.

Thanks again, and good luck with your pursuits moving forward.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:37 am 
Site Admin

byuusan wrote:
I've always struggled with this stuff, going all the way back to '98. It's just too easy to get me riled up on a cause and then I underestimate how many people care about what I have to say compared to your average poster. I don't realize how much I upset people until it's too late, and often I don't even find out how upset people are until years later, kind of like now. And well, I've gotten what I deserve for it (and then some.) Thank you for accepting my apology as well. It won't happen again.

So I mainly use bass now, but xkas I know very well too of course. That one seems to have serious staying power ^-^;
If it's just xkas / binary files to insert with it and no EXE files or shell scripts I'd need to run, then sure I can work with that.

I just finished my own project so I have about six weeks I can put into this. Hopefully I can at least point you in the right direction if nothing else. Feel free to send whatever you like to my e-mail address at your convenience. You've my word I won't share anything with anyone else.

The inserters are EXE's and I don't have source code to those. So if it is a bug in them, we'll have to figure a way around it, that probably isn't the case but has happened before. Wildbill, why don't you get him involved and see if you can get that sorted while he has the time to work on it. You know what needs to be done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:52 pm 

Both them being EXEs and having no source will slow me down quite a bit. I'll have to work inside a Windows VM now and I'll be blind to a lot of this. I think it might be best in that case that I treat this like I'm hacking a Japanese ROM from scratch. In any case, I'll do the best I can. It'll probably be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

byuusan wrote:
Both them being EXEs and having no source will slow me down quite a bit. I'll have to work inside a Windows VM now and I'll be blind to a lot of this. I think it might be best in that case that I treat this like I'm hacking a Japanese ROM from scratch. In any case, I'll do the best I can. It'll probably be fine.
We both appreciate and have confidence. Today slammed me, HVAC repair, wife, and my kids all came out of the woodwork. Give me a few days to forward files.

Anyway, that newly introduced added special feature I brought up previously... The menus are still majorly hosed, but I was surprised to find ways to advance the game without frogging into the Japanese Rom at all. I can now change my immediate location and move forward to new stages and keep writing concurrently with real time playing. The much needed fixes, if achievable, can slide in any time. Those will ripple through the entire game.