Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I've been working on Kaitou Saint Tail for Game Gear.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Here is a mockup of the title screen. Since I know I can move the tileset to a fresh new bank and add more tiles if needed because the title screen has plenty of room for more tiles. I think I'm gonna go with this for the title screen. Shouldn't be hard to put it in place once I have the recompressor done. What do you guys think? BTW: Yes, I think I can put a (c) (Whatever Group) or something on there somewhere if I can find enough space for it. The screen is pretty packed as there is also a press start blinking there.
Looks really spiffy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Just wanted to post a quick note saying this should probably be released sometime soon (End of August maybe) and will be exclusive to Matt's Messy Room. Please keep an eye out there for the release.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:34 am 
Site Admin

This game is now released for anyone that would like to check it out. A post should be coming soon over at Matt's Messy Room or you can download it now at RHDN.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/6233/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on the release of Saint Tail! It's always nice to see more games getting translated in English for everyone to enjoy playing outside of Japan. There's not much story behind the main mode, but the collection of mini games it contains are pretty fun. Not a bad way at all to pass the time if you just want to play a quick puzzle game or two.

I just hope that those guards walking around in the story mode with what appears to be wooden clubs don't actually smack her over the head if she's caught by them. Hopefully the crying animation when walking into them is just her being sad at the idea of being caught by the guards sneaking around those mansions and nothing more.

I can image the dialogue now...

Guard: "Sir, we have a situation here. We caught a young teenage girl sneaking around in black clothes and a pink mini-skirt. What are your orders?"

Rich Man: "What?! She was sneaking around my property?! I don't even want to hear her excuses! Rough her up!"

Guard: "But sir, she's just a little girl..."

Rich Man: "Did you hear what I just said?! Rough her up now!"

Guard: "Yes sir... Well, it looks like we have to do this the hard way. Sorry about this..." <Takes out club>

Maybe she would be more successful if she was trying to break into those houses at night rather than what looks like broad daylight in the game. And not to mention the constant yelling at the top of her lungs doesn't help matters either. "ONE! TWO! THREE! IT'S SHOWTIIIME!" Also, what is she doing when standing still in the story mode? Is that a cell phone or some kind of radar in her hand? Well regardless of that, congratulations to both you and Filler for the release once again! Great work as always, Taskforce!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

LOL, I had the same thoughts on it and almost commented on that myself. Those guards walking around with billy clubs mean business. I mean they always keep them out at the ready. And I have no idea what that animation is when she is standing still but she always has that little like screaming/talking lines constantly showing off. I guess she is trying to prove she is a good enough thief to walk around in broad daylight screaming at the top of her lungs and still get away with breaking and entering and burglary. Of course in typical magical girl show fashion, the police has to be so inept that they need a teenage kid to help them solve the case as well. :) Then again, we keep defunding the police in this country and we might too soon. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:34 am 

Not a bad game you guys, it's really short and sweet. Truth be told, it would have been a very good rental back in the day, had it been released in the West. Wouldn't buy it for a full price personally, but it's a very fun distraction for like an hour or less. Nicely enough, Game Gear is actually covered really well by fan-translators, so there are mostly some fun games with not "too much" text left to translate, instead of all those massive RPGs and whatnot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, MariusB. I just wish those remaining games weren't all filled with gobs of graphics compression and other painful issues. Even these little easy games take hours upon hours of work to get done. This little game might have taken 30 minutes to 1 hour to beat but I know I've sunk at least 80 hours (probably a lot more) into hacking it. Although, I might look at what remains and see if something uses similar compression that I can adapt my already completed compressor/decompressor for. It looks like some of the other sega in-house games use this same compressor so we'll see what I can do once I've rested a couple weeks maybe. I can definitely use more practice at assembly. I've started getting a decent understanding of the Game Gear hardware and this was pretty enjoyable (but also frustrating at times.)

Like I told Filler, I also want to help Wildbill out with his Destiny of an Emperor Gameboy translation effort though moving forward, so that might be next. Who knows, maybe I'll get energized and try my hand at something on the SNES eventually. There are 3 or 4 niche games I REALLY want to see translated left on that system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:51 am 

Oh yeah, I know that the script size doesn't necessarily correlate with the hacking difficulty. It's only a general assessment, since usually hacking takes longer than the translation process, unless it's some massive VN (Sakura Wars supposedly took 5-6 years or so to finish, due to the script size). Still, good to see how much progress there's been over the last 5-10 years in particular when it comes to GG. I made a thread with a list of translated RPGs/strategy games for it, and it looks like literally there's just a couple strategy games left! Very nice, gotta say. :) If you're curious, here's a comprehensive, constantly updated list (for GG and quite a few other systems)-> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1935945707. Apparently, there are 50 games left, but a lot of them are playable as-is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Many of them are thanks to Filler spearheading a campaign to get all the game gear games translated a while back. He translated many games without even having plans in place to hack them. He has several scripts still left. I'll probably take a look at 1 or 2 of the others down the line, I'll see if we can release others I do going forward under Dynamic Designs, but I owed him for the help with Sailor Moon Super S: Floating Panic so I wanted him to release Saint Tail however he wanted to return the favor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:00 am 

First time hearing of this game. Downloaded the patch and am excited to try it!

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.