Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: To whom it may concern...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:56 pm 

filler wrote:
SylarDean wrote:
I HAVE noticed with the repro-carts they tend to remove translator/hackers splash pages from their cart releases so whoever is reproducing these carts definitely has hacking
skills to remove these, so what i'm saying is your game will also eventually no doubt end up on a repro-cart immaterial of how your going to try and stop this happening. It's
just a damn shame that these repro-cart people just don't make some deal with the people writing the patches and offer a royalty or % of any takings the patches make to
you groups who work hard at them for each cart/game sold using your translation.
This would still be illegal. While there may be a case for the translation patch itself being copyrighted by the creators, the original work is not, and the patch is furthermore a derivative work. The only way for your scenario to be legal is for copyright law to be changed. While hacking games is not strictly legal to start with, the scene traditionally has worked hard to separate fan work from original work, and avoid any kind of money exchange. As soon as money enters the picture, reasons for suing beyond regular defending of copyright/tradmark come in to play. Basically, it ups the ante. I for one am in no way interested in some a**hole combining our work with the original copyrighted code/assets, and selling that for money, even if, or ESPECIALLY if I got a cut of it. That would make me fully complicit in their crime. I don't care if people make their own repros or whatever, but I'd like the ability to determine for myself if and how I break the law.

True, i was unsure if the patch material would be sueable under law as repro carts are illegal if your patch was used. SO this brings me to my other thought i mention.. there is NOTHING that can be done to stop your material being used other than short of stop doing what you love doing.. but why should you? you love releasing your patches and why stop what you love doing cos of these repro-cart idiots and the trolls on other sites? unfortunately, it seems nothing can be done about the cart problem :( but seems Romhacking.net are finally screening the PM comments board.. they've removed all those NASTY comments from the comments list.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

In my opinion, the ONLY entities deserving of any remuneration downstream from our patch releases that get merged with Japanese game ROMs are the original Japanese owners of the SFC product. Occasionally, I wander across some other hobby translation site with "Donate" buttons implanted on various pages. I would NEVER, EVER vote in favor of "Donate" buttons here at D-D!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
In my opinion, the ONLY entities deserving of any remuneration downstream from our patch releases that get merged with Japanese game ROMs are the original Japanese owners of the SFC product. Occasionally, I wander across some other hobby translation site with "Donate" buttons implanted on various pages. I would NEVER, EVER vote in favor of "Donate" buttons here at D-D!

100% agree!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:27 am 
Site Admin

I have been debating with myself as to where to add what I'm about to say - here or on our internal WWW board. Well, here I am.

The people in control at the hacking site have purged the troll posts that strayed from Minerva feedback and attempted to impose their radical obsessions in the form of ad hominem attacks against me personally, regarding my localization style in SSMS-I. Previously, this situation put our whole team in a foul mood and unnecessarily on the defensive, causing some to question our motivation for sharing our patches, reevaluate whether the labor remained "therapeutic", and review our Minerva text files for content, a beyond ridiculous waste of our time. I hope we at D-D learned something here, that responding to such lunacy plays directly into the hands of fanatics.

However, I consider what the people at the other site did by expunging those vitriolic off-topic posts an act of good faith. Therefore, I am willing to vote that we announce our next release over there, in which I am the primary story teller, and see if the owners continue practicing those good offices. I have observed that when it comes to writing styles, the vast majority of players are normal folks who can at least take it or leave it. I would not want to deny a player who is a decent person the opportunity to discover our patch, if posting it at certain websites was the only means of making that happen, so...

We'll see how it goes next time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 am 

I thought it worth speaking up to encourage you guys to continue your good work. Without falling into pointless analysis of specific details, I'll share some pertinent 'truths' I've learned in life:

Those who have the most biased, uninformed opinions, usually yell them the loudest.
Quality craftsmanship justifies itself. There will always be people who recognize and appreciate it. They are your audience.
Don't end up carrying your donkey.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
The people in control at the hacking site have purged the troll posts

YEAH! I gather they didn't like my comments sticking up for you lot here either.. cos MY posts were removed, (other than my most recent one), and then I had an email/PM with a ban warning cos of MY activity, guess they thought I was a troll also, (damn cheek of it). The one thing i've learnt and will take away from this whole ordeal about Romhacking.net .. keep your mouth shut and bite your tongue at REAL troll's comments. Their finger pointing practice of 'Participate and your guilty' is pathetic.. from now on I will NOT comment on ANYONE'S work over there.. no matter who's patch it is, no offence to you guys here at D-D.

If you can't stick up for fellow group members who are clearly being picked on and trolled at then wtf is the point in having a COMMENTS option.. remove them !! and that will stop the trolls dead in their tracks.

PEACE OUT !!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

YEAH! I gather they didn't like my comments sticking up for you lot here either.. cos MY posts were removed, (other than my most recent one), and then I had an email/PM with a ban warning cos of MY activity, guess they thought I was a troll also, (damn cheek of it). The one thing i've learnt and will take away from this whole ordeal about Romhacking.net .. keep your mouth shut and bite your tongue at REAL troll's comments. Their finger pointing practice of 'Participate and your guilty' is pathetic...
It's also how you participate. Take the high road and don't sink to their level. Some of my comments were removed too, but I'm not taking it personally. Just glad to see it was dealt with.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

YEAH! I gather they didn't like my comments sticking up for you lot here either.. cos MY posts were removed, (other than my most recent one), and then I had an email/PM with a ban warning cos of MY activity, guess they thought I was a troll also, (damn cheek of it). The one thing i've learnt and will take away from this whole ordeal about Romhacking.net .. keep your mouth shut and bite your tongue at REAL troll's comments. Their finger pointing practice of 'Participate and your guilty' is pathetic.. from now on I will NOT comment on ANYONE'S work over there.. no matter who's patch it is, no offence to you guys here at D-D.

If you can't stick up for fellow group members who are clearly being picked on and trolled at then wtf is the point in having a COMMENTS option.. remove them !! and that will stop the trolls dead in their tracks.

PEACE OUT !!
I have never broken the code that assembles a pervading tone of nastiness over there that always sort of permeates its more benign properties. Then again, I don't ever visit the local amusement park that is north of the stockyards when the wind is blowing from the south, just to confirm that the stink lingers. People have indeed assembled a sort of repository of hacking-related materials, but the group doesn't appear to contribute anything original to actual game products. It seems to be just another related-to-what-we-do mostly news-related website, but if good world citizens deserving of a share of our output might miss out otherwise - as I said - we should give them a chance to maintain civility next time - as we try to do here all the time. Thanks to those expressing appreciation. I never left the donkey's back but always try to rest and feed the beast adequately!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 am 

They deleted my post also - which was just a very neutral 'what's the big deal' comment. I think the point was to remove posts that weren't directly related to Princess Minerva. I've been a forum moderator and have a fair amount of empathy for how hard it is to balance free-expression with maintaining a pleasant environment. Especially when the traffic get higher, it can become a bit like juggling a pack of rabid hyenas.

I just try to exhibit the decency I'd like to see in others, hope it plants some seeds, and move on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 am 
Site Admin

TheRabbit wrote:
They deleted my post also - which was just a very neutral 'what's the big deal' comment. I think the point was to remove posts that weren't directly related to Princess Minerva. I've been a forum moderator and have a fair amount of empathy for how hard it is to balance free-expression with maintaining a pleasant environment. Especially when the traffic get higher, it can become a bit like juggling a pack of rabid hyenas.

I just try to exhibit the decency I'd like to see in others, hope it plants some seeds, and move on.
Traveling down the merry road of life, I've served in a number of paid leadership roles in which it was my job to achieve a mission, whatever it took. Arbitrating clashing this-and-that went with it but always drained a lot of energy better spent on the main task at hand.

An uncompensated hobby is another matter. To me, it's solely for pleasure. Why, therefore, would a mentally stable person expend self-defeating energy intentionally? I admire optimistic people who try to make such environments better, but I can get much more accomplished in hobby work if I avoid the fray. That way, I enjoy helping our group create English patches all the more. So, it's back to work for this cowboy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next