Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: On Writing Tips using Hex Workshop Hex Editor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 pm 

I don't know if this is going to help out, but well...I'm currently trying to rewrite some of the Sailor Moon SNES games that haven't been translated. However, I have some trouble with trying to use the program, Hex Workshop Hex Editor to refix the text and such, mainly when I do place in the needed text that makes the characters sound...well a slight more realistic (ala Woolseyism DIC style for those that are too use to the DIC era)...I place in the IPS patch that has the text, but when I try to start it up with one of the copies I used to use that text, it's all blank. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Post subject: Re: On Writing Tips using Hex Workshop Hex Editor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

julayla64 wrote:
I don't know if this is going to help out, but well...I'm currently trying to rewrite some of the Sailor Moon SNES games that haven't been translated. However, I have some trouble with trying to use the program, Hex Workshop Hex Editor to refix the text and such, mainly when I do place in the needed text that makes the characters sound...well a slight more realistic (ala Woolseyism DIC style for those that are too use to the DIC era)...I place in the IPS patch that has the text, but when I try to start it up with one of the copies I used to use that text, it's all blank. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Wow. You will need a lot of time and patience. Hex editors aren't really optimized for text editing. To accomplish what it is you are attempting, you will need to write a few programs that can extract the raw text, and then insert the modified text back into the ROM. not an easy task. But with a bit of time, studying, and Trial & Error, you will see some success. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: On Writing Tips using Hex Workshop Hex Editor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:14 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, what Bongo` said... It may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but using a Hex editor for the purpose of changing text is going to back to the dinosaur age of rom hacking (circa 1996). If the task of dumping and reinserting text is new to you, I'd highly recommend reading some of the docs over on romhacking.net