Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to get going again...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I will attempt to develop a steady pace and move forward. I will not ever quit writing, and that includes game stories with our core group and all of you folks who have performed myriads of tasks to help make all we've done together happen.

My outside responsibilities and distractions that increased in 2015 will not lessen very much for a while, but I will have more time this year, and the trick will be to manage the distractions because I realize now that I cannot fully eliminate them - not until certain family members in my charge have entered assisted living and other long term care and counseling arrangements.

I realize I have missed much in the discourse of our work. I could try to wade into the past conversations on this board and catch up, but that might turn into yet another distraction that prevents me from doing actual work. Instead, I will open up Minerva this morning and work on the town where I have been lingering for quite some time. The stories of the games I've worked on are all in my head, meaning that no matter how much time has passed, I seem to have the gift of recalling not only precise details but almost exact sentence construction. During our production evolutions, I usually live inside the stories almost 24 hours a day - until the distractions and dramas of my real world overwhelm my thoughts and hamper my powers of concentration, but some of these are beginning to wind down - finally.

I will finish Minerva. When that is done - two complete passes - I will start La Wares English. Along the way I hope to clean up SSMS-I. I still need to fix most of the battlefield messages. Then, I want to hit SSMS-II hard. Other work lies ahead, but these are my foremost concerns right now.

I hope everyone enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving, Christmas, and holiday period. I certainly did. In some ways, many long term situations in my life began to "level out" after May 2015. My first bloodline grandchild is due in less than two months - a distraction - but surely to be one of the best events in my life!

But don't worry, players. Working together, we'll get the job done.

Post subject: Re: Trying to get going again...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:37 pm 

Glad to see you back like a man on a mission Wildbill, good luck with getting projects rekindled. Happy New Year to you and your family also.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Yep, I will attempt to develop a steady pace and move forward. I will not ever quit writing, and that includes game stories with our core group and all of you folks who have performed myriads of tasks to help make all we've done together happen.

Spoiler! :
My outside responsibilities and distractions that increased in 2015 will not lessen very much for a while, but I will have more time this year, and the trick will be to manage the distractions because I realize now that I cannot fully eliminate them - not until certain family members in my charge have entered assisted living and other long term care and counseling arrangements.

I realize I have missed much in the discourse of our work. I could try to wade into the past conversations on this board and catch up, but that might turn into yet another distraction that prevents me from doing actual work. Instead, I will open up Minerva this morning and work on the town where I have been lingering for quite some time. The stories of the games I've worked on are all in my head, meaning that no matter how much time has passed, I seem to have the gift of recalling not only precise details but almost exact sentence construction. During our production evolutions, I usually live inside the stories almost 24 hours a day - until the distractions and dramas of my real world overwhelm my thoughts and hamper my powers of concentration, but some of these are beginning to wind down - finally.

I will finish Minerva. When that is done - two complete passes - I will start La Wares English. Along the way I hope to clean up SSMS-I. I still need to fix most of the battlefield messages. Then, I want to hit SSMS-II hard. Other work lies ahead, but these are my foremost concerns right now.

I hope everyone enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving, Christmas, and holiday period. I certainly did. In some ways, many long term situations in my life began to "level out" after May 2015. My first bloodline grandchild is due in less than two months - a distraction - but surely to be one of the best events in my life!

But don't worry, players. Working together, we'll get the job done.

He's back! Glad to hear you had a nice holiday season and that things are winding down for you a little. Hope to see you around more!

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

A big welcome back! Looking forward to getting busy again :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:13 pm 

Mate, we the fans were wondering about you, too! I'm new here but have been scouting this site and similar peers for a while. It seems to me that this group rhymes with your everyday actions!

Regarding Minerva, I've found out that its producer Rika Suzuki also produced many of those awesome investigative adventure games for the Nintendo DS, fortunately all of them localized for the West under the CiNG label. But sadly that company went bust before the 2010 release of their last DS game. So she (Yes, it's a female producer. Surprise!) founded Bellwood Inc. to write online novels, but they're in Japanese only. It seems that that firm's main job is to provide scenario planning for other companies.

Riverhill Soft Inc., the maker of both Minerva and the Burai series also did a lot of awesome games for later consoles like the PSX, Saturn and Dreamcast in the 90's. But somehow they stopped developing by the turn of the millenium.

Perhaps after your group finishes Minerva, Oni II and/or some other titles maybe you can look into doing the last two 'Burai' titles - Burai: Hachigyoku no Yūshi Densetsu and Burai II: Yami Kōtei no Gyakushū? We can safely ignore the first two Burai titles because they had constrained game screens, and horribly dated menu presentations due to their roots on the PC-88, PC-98, MSX & FM-Towns platforms. The 3rd iteration was released on the MSX, SNES, Turbo CD and Sega CD. Riverhill did the MSX & Turbo CD versions while Pandora Box later did the SNES & Sega CD ports. Naturally your group would gravitate towards the SNES port but it quite sucks because it doesn't have the nice FMVs of the Turbo CD and higher quality Sega CD versions and has other inferior aspects. The title screen is very drab-looking by comparison and parts of the gameplay view screens is constrained into smaller boxes, while the battle scenes have only a black background with no details.
The screens of the Turbo CD port looks stretched vertically while the Sega CD's look natural. The colours of the TCD port may look much brighter and pop out but the Sega CD port is more detailed with nicer colour graduation. Moreover The TCD port has dated menus with a tiny boxed-in game screen whereas the SCD port's gameplay visuals almost fills the whole viewscreen's perimeter. So the Sega CD has the edge in all areas and that's why I'm hoping for any romhacker to look into choosing this one over the SNES port. Will Dynamic-Designs have the skills to build new tools for or port the SNES-oriented tools over to the Sega CD platform and make a translation patch for the Sega CD port? Additionally you could even use these tools to do many other Sega CD games. As for the 4th Burai title it is much better on Turbo CD than the 3rd title's one with the gameplay visuals filling the whole view screen and a different and more colourful menu presentation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:15 am 

ObiKKa wrote:
Mate, we the fans were wondering about you, too! I'm new here but have been scouting this site and similar peers for a while. It seems to me that this group rhymes with your everyday actions!

Regarding Minerva, I've found out that its producer Rika Suzuki also produced many of those awesome investigative adventure games for the Nintendo DS, fortunately all of them localized for the West under the CiNG label. But sadly that company went bust before the 2010 release of their last DS game. So she (Yes, it's a female producer. Surprise!) founded Bellwood Inc. to write online novels, but they're in Japanese only. It seems that that firm's main job is to provide scenario planning for other companies.

Riverhill Soft Inc., the maker of both Minerva and the Burai series also did a lot of awesome games for later consoles like the PSX, Saturn and Dreamcast in the 90's. But somehow they stopped developing by the turn of the millenium.

Perhaps after your group finishes Minerva, Oni II and/or some other titles maybe you can look into doing the last two 'Burai' titles - Burai: Hachigyoku no Yūshi Densetsu and Burai II: Yami Kōtei no Gyakushū? We can safely ignore the first two Burai titles because they had constrained game screens, and horribly dated menu presentations due to their roots on the PC-88, PC-98, MSX & FM-Towns platforms. The 3rd iteration was released on the MSX, SNES, Turbo CD and Sega CD. Riverhill did the MSX & Turbo CD versions while Pandora Box later did the SNES & Sega CD ports. Naturally your group would gravitate towards the SNES port but it quite sucks because it doesn't have the nice FMVs of the Turbo CD and higher quality Sega CD versions and has other inferior aspects. The title screen is very drab-looking by comparison and parts of the gameplay view screens is constrained into smaller boxes, while the battle scenes have only a black background with no details.
The screens of the Turbo CD port looks stretched vertically while the Sega CD's look natural. The colours of the TCD port may look much brighter and pop out but the Sega CD port is more detailed with nicer colour graduation. Moreover The TCD port has dated menus with a tiny boxed-in game screen whereas the SCD port's gameplay visuals almost fills the whole viewscreen's perimeter. So the Sega CD has the edge in all areas and that's why I'm hoping for any romhacker to look into choosing this one over the SNES port. Will Dynamic-Designs have the skills to build new tools for or port the SNES-oriented tools over to the Sega CD platform and make a translation patch for the Sega CD port? Additionally you could even use these tools to do many other Sega CD games. As for the 4th Burai title it is much better on Turbo CD than the 3rd title's one with the gameplay visuals filling the whole view screen and a different and more colourful menu presentation.

Ummmm? firstly let me say "WELCOME to the D-D Forums". I think the Snes version would probably be the most likely one that D-D would go for but ONLY IF the game had some interest for them or they were unique enough maybe. The game itself is NOT that great but for uniqueness.. 8 people in battle at once is pretty unique for a snes game back then. The game's graphics kinda reminds me of a cuter version of 7th Saga, the battles.. well, i'll just stop right there.. lol. To be fair, if your looking for Sega-CD translations of those games.. i'd look at asking M.I.J.E.T. .. His work is widely know for translations of Sega stuff, and boy! has he translated a ton of games. Check out a small list of some of his work here... http://mijet.eludevisibility.org/ In all honesty.. I think you would have MORE luck there for that console's translations if those are the specific ones you wish for translation. In any case, welcome once again.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 am 

SylarDean wrote:
Ummmm? firstly let me say "WELCOME to the D-D Forums". I think the Snes version would probably be the most likely one that D-D would go for but ONLY IF the game had some interest for them or they were unique enough maybe. The game itself is NOT that great but for uniqueness.. 8 people in battle at once is pretty unique for a snes game back then. The game's graphics kinda reminds me of a cuter version of 7th Saga, the battles.. well, i'll just stop right there.. lol. To be fair, if your looking for Sega-CD translations of those games.. i'd look at asking M.I.J.E.T. .. His work is widely know for translations of Sega stuff, and boy! has he translated a ton of games. Check out a small list of some of his work here... http://mijet.eludevisibility.org/ In all honesty.. I think you would have MORE luck there for that console's translations if those are the specific ones you wish for translation. In any case, welcome once again.

Oh, yeah, looks like the right person to contact. Although I wouldn't have expected him to be active going by his very basic website. But...
Quote:
"2) Wait several weeks/months for reply."

Oh dear, perhaps he's sorta lapsed from the romhacking community, no? He doesn't even have a forum account at romhacking.net, which makes things worse!

Anyway, I'd filled the Sega CD list here with the third Burai title. That same Burai game for other ports such as the SNES and Turbo CD were already there. But I'm sure the Sega CD port is the best of all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:45 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:
SylarDean wrote:

Oh, yeah, looks like the right person to contact. Although I wouldn't have expected him to be active going by his very basic website. But...
Quote:
"2) Wait several weeks/months for reply."

Oh dear, perhaps he's sorta lapsed from the romhacking community, no? He doesn't even have a forum account at romhacking.net, which makes things worse!

Anyway, I'd filled the Sega CD list here with the third Burai title. That same Burai game for other ports such as the SNES and Turbo CD were already there. But I'm sure the Sega CD port is the best of all!

oops lol, didnt read that at the bottom of that page about his reply times.. BUT it still wouldnt hurt to try and contact him.. I doubt he gets many emails about rom hacking so he might just answer MUCH earlier than that, a lot of translator/hackers do that just to deter people from flood requesting, another reason why he prob don't have a great website showcasing his work, but then.. what's the point if there's Romhacking.net? to mee it just seems he does this as an on/off hobby.. not like the guys here at D-D.. HARDCORE! LOL

http://www.romhacking.net/community/519/ he probably works within a group.. only thing i can think of suggesting to you also, is try finding people he's worked with on projects and message them to see if he's still about.. or maybe one of those who worked with him might be interested in taking up the project. I WISH I could rom hack/translate.. cos i'd have helped out, the game does look interesting.. and I love the VERY OLD-SKOOL looking rpgs also.. alas.. my talents lie else where, I hope you find someone to help you out with this idea.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yes sir, ObiKKa, welcome to our forum. I do have much catching up to do and quite a backlog of work!

We will, most likely, as Sylardean noted, remain SNES/SFC oriented. Bongo` and Filler are always putting together packages that produce good stories and fill most of our available time, and that is the direction the flow of our work will likely continue to go. I hope you enjoy good fortune finding project support in those platforms beyond our expertise, that time as much as anything prevents us from exploring further.