Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: About that new Repro guy....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

You should probably check out his thread so that you'll know what I'm referring to: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 617.0.html

So the guy seems to generally give a damn about the community, which is a nice change from the dealings I have had in the last with people flat out profiting from our translations. I like that he is trying to approach people to get their blessings, will give credit, and sounds like he will pay a small percentage for their work...

I looked him up over on ebay and he has a Cocoron cart up for sale, which I assume uses Bongo's old "Stealth" translation patch. Don't know if you really care about people selling your work, but I just thought I'd pass it along in case you wanted to get in contact with the seller.

Post subject: Re: About that new Repro guy....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:45 pm 

Some of you guys might have seen some of my graphics work around your forums. Being brutally honest I have been approached by, and have worked for, a few different repro companies producing manuals, boxes, posters etc. Basically complete CIB packages. I've long been aware of the argument on both sides of the fence regarding the issue, yet was unable to come to a conclusion myself about what I supported. My solution to the issue was to work for "store credit" and not direct cash, so basically i'd complete a job and get a bunch of repros thrown at me to muck around with and enjoy.

I'm not really sure what my point is here actually haha, I know you guys put in immense amounts of time and effort making these hacks and you have my utmost respect for doing so. On the flip-side some of the projects I've worked on have required more than 40-50 hours of my time to complete and that's no small amount of effort either. For the last projects I worked on we even acquired art books and original SFC releases and had them translated. Just so we'd have great quality art scans to work from and decent text to use instead of the usual "use a game faqs walktrhough" rubbish. I dunno, definitely not trying to justify the practice but it salved my conscience a little to know that I was putting in so much more effort than the quick cash guys and putting something out that really felt like you could have picked it up from a shop as a kid.

In summary, it's the third day of 40 degree heat here and I can't even remember where I was going with this. Food for thought I guess.

Post subject: Re: About that new Repro guy....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

As far as I'm concerned, any English story I help write that winds up in a patch containing only original intellectual content based on a translator's and hacker's work, becomes public domain the instant that patch is released. After that, people are going to do what they're going to do. There's no stopping it.

I'm just happy to use my writing skills for something I enjoy. Any money that derives from aftermarket products created in English, whatever amount would accrue to the value of a writer in the overall team, I would prefer see go to the original Japanese writer. It's his or her concept, after all.

Thamiel wrote:
Some of you guys might have seen some of my graphics work around your forums. Being brutally honest I have been approached by, and have worked for, a few different repro companies producing manuals, boxes, posters etc. Basically complete CIB packages. I've long been aware of the argument on both sides of the fence regarding the issue, yet was unable to come to a conclusion myself about what I supported. My solution to the issue was to work for "store credit" and not direct cash, so basically i'd complete a job and get a bunch of repros thrown at me to muck around with and enjoy.

I'm not really sure what my point is here actually haha, I know you guys put in immense amounts of time and effort making these hacks and you have my utmost respect for doing so. On the flip-side some of the projects I've worked on have required more than 40-50 hours of my time to complete and that's no small amount of effort either. For the last projects I worked on we even acquired art books and original SFC releases and had them translated. Just so we'd have great quality art scans to work from and decent text to use instead of the usual "use a game faqs walktrhough" rubbish. I dunno, definitely not trying to justify the practice but it salved my conscience a little to know that I was putting in so much more effort than the quick cash guys and putting something out that really felt like you could have picked it up from a shop as a kid.

In summary, it's the third day of 40 degree heat here and I can't even remember where I was going with this. Food for thought I guess.