Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Project selection proces
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:59 pm 

But did it have a "trace to file" option?
I remember looking for such an emulator, not finding a feature and writing a crappy hack of GEST.

I can imagine many people avoiding no$gmb. As I recall it had pretty poor sound emulation, and he charged for GBC emulation. I think people also thought his page was a bit openly hostile towards people caught pirating the registration key. Not sure if the fact GBC was a current system while he was charging for it was a factor or not.
I don't complain, I just find an alternate. I recall REW was pretty good.
Though I do give credit to no$gmb for being the only emu for years to provide any link cable support. The only problem is that it only emulated two identical games (so games like Pokemon which required two different versions and/or different save files emulated simultaneously wouldn't work. Can't remember if the no$gmb guy was one of those who was perhaps even glad Pokemon wasn't supported at the time... back when it was "cool" just to hate on Pokemon? :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Yes it did, as well as many options for breaking and such.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 pm 

Hmm.... I suppose I could suggest some SNES ports of the games I had in mind, since that's familiar hardware. There are so many excellent RPG's out there on so many different platforms that really could use some loving.

I mentioned Xak earlier, well, there is an SNES port of Xak 1 (some gameplay on youtube).

Maybe I should just get into hacking myself, I dabbled with 6502 assembly years (or should I say decades) ago ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Amon_Re wrote:
Hmm.... I suppose I could suggest some SNES ports of the games I had in mind, since that's familiar hardware. There are so many excellent RPG's out there on so many different platforms that really could use some loving.

I mentioned Xak earlier, well, there is an SNES port of Xak 1 (some gameplay on youtube).

Maybe I should just get into hacking myself, I dabbled with 6502 assembly years (or should I say decades) ago ;)

The scene could always use more talented people who are passionate about games. I myself started in a similar way, though I took a liking to the script translation end more than the technical one. If you're interested in Xak games, Nightwolve translated Xak III what seems like forever ago apparently. I ran across it here: http://www.magicengine.com/uk_index.php ... S3JAkhchCA There are links to a project page in there. I always kind of assumed that if Xak III was translated Xaks I and II probably were as well but I don't really know.

Ok, wow, so I decided to look it up. Here is a bit of scene history you may or may not know being interested in the MSX but the origin of rom hacking is actually attributed to initial translations done for the MSX. It's kind of the first system that was worked on. What may be the first group, Oasis, actually did Xak II which has a patch available on RHDN. Looks like Xak I was also done but it sounds like only as a paid purchase. The initial MSX scene evolved pretty differently than romhacking as it is now. In the Netherlands apparently selling patches for the MSX games at conventions and such was (is?) the norm.

EDIT: Arg, my bad. I see in an earlier post you seem to be aware of the translations of II and III. I blame it on being first thing in the morning that I didn't check that before posting. :P

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:04 pm 

Yup, the MSX seems to be the root of all evil, err, hacking ;) I'm aware of the patches for the Xak series and recently finished Xak I on the MSX with a very crude translation, it could really stand to be retranslated that one.

Xak II & III are on my to do list, as are the 2 side stories Tower of Gazzal (not sure about the name there) & Fray, whom also have patches.

I know that there are new translations on the way for Fray & SD Snatcher, but there are more games out there then just those two. A French dude called Django seems to be the most active on that scene when it comes to translation hacks, maybe he'd be interested in retranslating those other games if he's given a better script to insert.

PS: How is Urusei Yatsura going?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:51 pm 

So, if I'm remembering right Xak was translated by group, I think called Oasis, that was one of the first translations ever. That, combined with that it was translated by people who did not natively speak English, would explain that.
But I recall there was a service that supposed had obtained the legal rights to sell MSX ROMs, including translations, the name was waoom or something like that. Anyone used that?

As for Xak II, I think that was "translated" by langfand00d. That "group" was a running April Fools gag. Supposedly run by D, each year he'd release a machine-translated patch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:09 pm 

KingMike wrote:
So, if I'm remembering right Xak was translated by group, I think called Oasis, that was one of the first translations ever. That, combined with that it was translated by people who did not natively speak English, would explain that.
But I recall there was a service that supposed had obtained the legal rights to sell MSX ROMs, including translations, the name was waoom or something like that. Anyone used that?

As for Xak II, I think that was "translated" by langfand00d. That "group" was a running April Fools gag. Supposedly run by D, each year he'd release a machine-translated patch.

You are thinking of WOOMBS, that no longer exists. There were two translations done on Xak 1, one by Delta Soft and one by WOOMBS. The translation done by WOOMBS apparently is of a high quality but sadly unavailable. The one by Delta Soft isn't obtainable anymore.

However, I just received a mail from Tsunami Translations pointing me to the guys from Project Melancholy. Seems that the translator for Xak is in that group now.

Langfand00d did a partial patch for PC-98 IIRC.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

No progress at all on UY unfortunately. It's basically how Esperknight and I started working together but we've both become interested in other projects. I think that last time EK looked at it there were some technical challenges. I'd pursue it a little more but really we have some projects I really excited about that are coming along so well that it's become a low priority. Ah! Megami-sama and Team Innocent on PC-FX are coming right along, and Welcome to Pia Carrot 2 is ready for editing. We are focusing on those and some other projects right now.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 am 

When it comes to RPG's that interest me (that have yet to have a full translation, if I remember correctly). It'd have to be Tenshi no Uta, Shinseiki Odysselya 2, Hercules no Eikou IV & G.O.D.

There are so many SFC RPG games, and so many of them could be amazing, or my new favourite. I really can hate the language barrier sometimes!
I hope to learn Japanese at least at one point in my life, I don't care how long it takes, even if 20 years! Haha, I'd be 37 by then! :lol:

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
When it comes to RPG's that interest me (that have yet to have a full translation, if I remember correctly). It'd have to be Tenshi no Uta, Shinseiki Odysselya 2, Hercules no Eikou IV & G.O.D.

There are so many SFC RPG games, and so many of them could be amazing, or my new favourite. I really can hate the language barrier sometimes!

Tenshi no Uta and
Hercules no Eikou IV

As for G.O.D, Byuu released his tools for this game a while back and I believe Satsu was
doing the translation portion for this game. Not sure who is picking it up though. And Shinseiki Odysselya 2 uses that stupid HiRes mode that I dislike... :?

Zetshiro wrote:
I hope to learn Japanese at least at one point in my life, I don't care how long it takes, even if 20 years! Haha, I'd be 37 by then! :lol:

Geez! You kids. Dude, you are young enough to be my son... :? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next